Help! Stuck with lunch problems!

Options
Hi guys-
im a uni student and on a thursday i have a 9-6 day every other week, or a 9-4 day. There are various eateries on campus but the only one I can get a menu for is the SU Bar. The others are a 'mcdonalds' esque place..chips and burgers basically, one is a pizza place,
Now I was wondering if you guys could take a look at the menu below and suggest what would be a good lunch when I have the time :)? I did try and take in my own sandwhiches but Im cutting out bread because it bloats me and stuff!
http://www.essexstudent.com/eat_drink_shop/su_bar/food/

Apologies for any of my friends who see my posting this as a message board thing :)

Replies

• bmmarti3
    bmmarti3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    pack your own lunch
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Salad is fine, just get the dressing on the side and use as little as you can.

Chicken Sandwich, just toss 1/2 the bun.

The Chicken Kabob may also be okay.

Just do the best you can!!!

Drink lots of water and hit the College gym if you can!!

Take Care!!!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The Chicken Burger is the one that I went to right away. Grill chicken burger!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Jacket potato with baked beans I reckon is the best choice. Or maybe you can order part of an all day breakfast e.g. ask for 1 egg or vegetarian sausages with baked beans, grilled tomato and maybe you could get away with one slice of toast (your tummy probs, not your weight I mean).
  • emilyajones
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Yeah thinking chicken burger but if its meat only, not breaded which it probably will be :(. Or the jacket potato (not the skin) with beans or the chicken tikka massala with no rice cos spicy food speeds up the metabolism apparently!
  • wschaffel
    wschaffel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I find McDonalds as a choice, I order a McDouble without the cheese or the bun. Those burger patties are only 90 calories each plus whatever you add as condiments. I usually ask for a couple of packs of mild picante sauce and I have a 200 calorie lunch with virtually no carbs.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    What ever you order, I would try to get as many veggies as I could. Salad at least 4 day's a week, very little or no cheese and meats just veggies. You could always ask them to hold the cheese, sauce, fried potatoes or other fattening accompaniments and only eat half the bun. Remember you don't have to give everything up just be careful with the portions size and make sure it is going to fit into you goals for the day.
    There is always a little more exercise.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    Have you tried making a wrap or something instead of a sandwich?

I'm in a similar predicament with school lunches, so what I do is pack many small things to snack on (carrots, broccoli, pita and hummas, sugar snap peas, fruit, etc). If you have access to a microwave, you have more options. What I've done is make a big pot of veggie chilli, package it in 1 cup serving sizes, freeze it and then use those for my lunch. Easy, convenient, nutritious and delicious. You can also do this with soups, minus the freezing. If no microwave, you can always heat it up at home and pack it in a thermos for warmth.

As for your lunch menu, I'd stick with getting the vegetarian options. Less fat/cholesterol, more veggies/beans/fibre, and most likely lower calorie - vegetarian options almost always are. Plus that bean burger looks delish. Get salads with dressing on the side and you're set. Sadly, this doesn't leave you with many options; it's a pretty small menu.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Jacket potato with baked beans I reckon is the best choice. Or maybe you can order part of an all day breakfast e.g. ask for 1 egg or vegetarian sausages with baked beans, grilled tomato and maybe you could get away with one slice of toast (your tummy probs, not your weight I mean).
    Having looked at the menu this was my choice... or else order the fish and chips without the chips... or the chicken burger without the bun.

Strange they have no soup on the menu.

Or you could make a nice packed lunch... how about some hummus with celery and carrot sticks. Or mix some smoked salmon trimmings into some cottage cheese and then spoon that on to cripsbread (keep them separate until you eat them or the crispbread will turn into soggy cardboard :sick:) Take a banana, an apple or an orange with you too.

By the way... how do you enjoy living in Colchester? :happy: