Desperately seeking Shin Splint Help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    One thing to add!

Shin splints typically start off hurting and gradually as you run they ease, that maybe 20-30 min's in to your run, but the hurt should ease off at least a bit...

If the pain does not ease off or gets progressively worse until it forces you to stop, then do your self a huge favor and stop running until they are properly rested! Continuing to push through bad shin splints pain can lead to stress fracture and that will take a darn sight longer to heal up.
  • PoppyinBoulder
    Options
    I went to Walgreens and bought two (one for each leg, each shin) Futuro Sport wraps for shins. You put them around your shins and velcro them up tight. The pain went away immediately and I was able to walk again. Once they started to heal, I went back to walking but wore them walking until the pain was all gone. They are wonderful!!!!!
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    the coach above is perfectly right. and i woudl tape as well. you will need help. your toes need to be as close to your shin as possible. so the opposite of pointing your toes. then your put the edge of the tape about 3 inches away from shin on the outside of leg. i think this where the long dimple is when you flex. then you pull that tape really tight! toward the shin. imagine trying to tape the muscle underneath your skin to your shin. imagine it needed a place to be protected against the shin. i think you can google this or you may be able to visit your local high school coach for some help. i bet if you call they would be happy to help. i had to have mine taped a million times.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming you've given the shoes a chance to break in, I've got nothing more to add than what TrailRunner and JeffRodgers have already said... but I will say that from my experience, bad shoes (either the wrong ones or a bad fit) is the problem 9 times out of 10... even after having been fitted.

I know it's not the cheapest option, but I'd go back to the place that fit you (assuming you got the shoes there), explain to them that you are having problems and see what they say. Then match that up with what was said in this thread and see where you come out.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    yes cuz the pain is from the muscle pulling itself away from your shin. it can pull the bone clean off. so if you tape them toward your shin they cant pull anymore
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    One thing to add!

Shin splints typically start off hurting and gradually as you run they ease, that maybe 20-30 min's in to your run, but the hurt should ease off at least a bit...

If the pain does not ease off or gets progressively worse until it forces you to stop, then do your self a huge favor and stop running until they are properly rested! Continuing to push through bad shin splints pain can lead to stress fracture and that will take a darn sight longer to heal up.

I have no pain while I walk...it's sore to touch and it does get better after running for a little while, my right side is worse than my left when warmed up. My right calf will get pretty tight too. I think I will try and find a more experienced person at one of the running places to look at me again. THANK YOU
  • idlose
    idlose Posts: 16
    Options
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints/taping.php

this link is a vid that i came across for taping my shin splints....I am not sure if i have shin splints or a stress fracture as it is in one pinpoint spot on my right shin and hurts like hell. anyhow, I started the C25K and it was outside, i tried once before on a treadmill and same thing happened...i have the compression velcro wrap things, but when i found the taping, holy crap did it help with the pain. i keep them taped all day long just to move around and it really helps. I have not run with the tape in place yet, but oh the sweet relief...anyhow, i have taped a couple different ways and this is the best I have found. good luck...to all of us!
  • idlose
    Options
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints/taping.php

this link is a vid that i came across for taping my shin splints....I am not sure if i have shin splints or a stress fracture as it is in one pinpoint spot on my right shin and hurts like hell. anyhow, I started the C25K and it was outside, i tried once before on a treadmill and same thing happened...i have the compression velcro wrap things, but when i found the taping, holy crap did it help with the pain. i keep them taped all day long just to move around and it really helps. I have not run with the tape in place yet, but oh the sweet relief of wearing them walking around...anyhow, i have taped a couple different ways and this is the best I have found. good luck...to all of us!
  • conchita962
    Options

this link is a vid that i came across for taping my shin splints....I am not sure if i have shin splints or a stress fracture as it is in one pinpoint spot on my right shin and hurts like hell. anyhow, I started the C25K and it was outside, i tried once before on a treadmill and same thing happened...i have the compression velcro wrap things, but when i found the taping, holy crap did it help with the pain. i keep them taped all day long just to move around and it really helps. I have not run with the tape in place yet, but oh the sweet relief of wearing them walking around...anyhow, i have taped a couple different ways and this is the best I have found. good luck...to all of us!

I'm running to go get tape right now!!!! Thank you
  • dkbrake
    dkbrake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This might have been said already, but how old are your shoes? Even shoes that properly fit can cause problems when the insides start breaking down. Depending on quality of shoe and how much you use them, you can go through shoes every 3 months. Longer lasting (expensive) shoes, maybe 6-8 months. Sounds crazy maybe, but your comfort is worth it!

Also whatever you run in, use only for running. Don't wear them out faster by using them for going to the store, work and other activities.
  • RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are how-to videos for taping shin splints on runnersworld.com and kttape.com. The kt tape worked wonders for me:happy:
  • conchita962
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your input...I am grateful!

So today I went to Second Sole to have an experienced runner look at me (I went to another store where the guys there were very, very young...and that was okay). So I told him everything. He looked at my shoes and then had me walk for a few minutes for him. He said everything looks really good...my shoes are good (they are new). So he added a cushioned insole w/a medium arch. He said maybe I just need extra support. The really cool thing was he GAVE them to me...he did not try and sell me $100 shoes or extra stuff here or there...he just gave me $20 insoles and said try them! How completely cool is that?? So I went for a run and they felt really, really good! I had a little bit of mild discomfort until I warmed up but after that I felt pretty nice. I've taped my shins up (which feels nice) and now I'm icing. I know I still have healing to do...after my races I plan to take a month off to completely heal and strengthen all the muscles related to this.

Thank you...thank you everyone :)
  • idlose
    Options
    yes, i like the tape...it helps so much.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If they are really bad, the only thing you can do is let them heal. Which means no running for a few weeks. Then do all the other exercises to keep them in shape. You don't need to tape with the right shoes and the correct support. Taping basically just adds arch support so your muscle doesn't pull away from the shin - the correct shoes will help this. Running stairs and steep hills are also bad for shin splints, even with the right shoes.

Since you have some big runs coming up, if you can take a week break and do low impact cardio, such as biking, brisk walking, and elliptical to stay in shape, that will help them subside. On race day, take IBUPROFEN, that always helped me.
  • christybrooker
    Options
    The last time I tried running I got shin splints too. This time I researched "toe running" and bought some shoes called Newtons. (There are lots of toe running shoes out there though.) Now when I run my heels don't take any weight my toes do. It's a technique and the shoes just help a bit. You can actually do this barefoot. I haven't had any pain this time and I'm running a lot harder than last time. I can run longer and faster than ever and I enjoy it much more.