You don't look like you need to lose weight!

Options
Has anyone ever told you this? I need to lose weight - but I admit, I do hold my weight really well. (if anything I look more 5 months pregnant since it's all in my belly) Yesterday I was at a orientation for a new job, and I got talking to the person next to me and she was surprised I was on a diet and said that I looked like I didn't need to lose weight!

I mean - sure it is a good feeling, but I'm 5'0 and I weigh 152. I want to weigh 105.

Of course - I was polite, but I never know how to respond to that.

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    All the time. I started right where you did too! 5'0 and currently 111 :)
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Yea, Mom. Everyone's Mom, who thinks we are all perfect already, right?
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just say thank you...what else is there to say to that? Could be worse, she could have said something like "isn't that bad for the baby?" Hahaha
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    In the country town I live in, I look great compared to everyone else therefore, I must not need to lose weight - forget the fact that almost all of them need to lose 10kg!
  • aliburstall
    Options
    I want someone to say that to me!
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i didn't get that when i started... but now i get a lof of "you want to lose MORE weight!" and "where are you going to lose more weight from?"
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm told, "You shouldn't lose anymore weight, you look fine the way you are". I'm 5'2" and am down to 137lbs, not done yet, still have about 15-20lbs to go.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Not my mom! LOL - My mom had me on a diet from the age of 7 or 8. No wonder I got to 340 pounds.
  • lmanzi219
    lmanzi219 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yessss, such a good post. many times but I'm 5'2" and now 138. It's uncomfortable when ppl say that too. You say thanks but go home, look in the mirror and think to yoiurself "really, no way, not with this belly!"
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've had that. What alot of people don't understand is while you may look ok with clothes on, when you're naked/bikini/underwear there's NOTHING that can be cleverly disguised, what you see is what you get! lol
  • azrak
    azrak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe just say thanks, but you havent seen me naked! Ok so that might only work with friends.
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I say that all the time to people who say they are trying to lose weight.

If my fiance ever says, "i need to start working out to lose some weight for the wedding".

I try to give her a compliment by saying "oh you look gorgeous the way you are".

The whole conversation always seems to be awkward and someone seems to be offended regardless of what is said.

I think if someone says that to you they are being nice and paying you a compliment, and you can just say "thank you for the compliment, but I could definitely be healthier!"
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Well, there are two schools of mothers - those who you've described (lucky!), and those that figure if they don't tell you "You need to lose a few pounds" who will? And they can tell you exactly how to lose those few pounds ("So-and-so's daughter did it that way") despite being 100 lbs over weight themselves!

Whoa - end rant! Sorry, I got off topic! :laugh:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

Can I have your Mom?! Mine ALWAYS tells me what she thinks UNCENSORED! I finally had to tell her a few years ago to F*** off if she couldn't say something nice to shut the heck up. My father supported me.

I get something similar, if I tell people how much I weigh they are SHOCKED. Which is why I don't tell most people because it's embarrassing.

If I were you I'd just say something like you are losing to get rid of the skinny fat or something like that.
  • anthony008
    Options
    I get it all the time as well. I'm polite to acquaintances and friends but when it's people from your family telling you "it's time to cut back, you look fine" is where I look them in the eye and say, "Listen mom, I know these clothes make me look good, but I want to be sexy naked."
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I've had that. What alot of people don't understand is while you may look ok with clothes on, when you're naked/bikini/underwear there's NOTHING that can be cleverly disguised, what you see is what you get! lol

This so much. I look pretty good in my clothes. All that belly fat squishes in very nicely. But when I let it out...
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am around 5 ft tall. When I weighed around 175 lbs I had friends who told me I looked great and didn't need to lose weight!!! I don't know why someone would say something like that.

In response to your post. Maybe the person is just polite. If it happened to me I'd probably say "thanks". And let them know you feel more comfortable losing a few pounds and are aiming for better health.
  • janarmac
    janarmac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot! I'm six feet tall so I'm always told that because of my height I "carry my weight well" and I've never really known how to take it.
    I wanna tell those people that they have no idea what they are talking about but I usually just end up with an awkward smile and a thank you lol
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    yea when i was 170 pounds 5'4 and everyone said i did not need to lose another 30 pounds
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 pounds since January, and in the last few weeks, two different people have commented on how small my feet are. I was polite, but the only thing I could think was "Oh, how odd! Size 8 1/2 is small?" The only thing I can figure is that they didn't want to comment on my weight.