swollen hands!!!!

Options
Hi All..... can anyone help !!

What can I do to stop my hands swelling up when on a long walk? i walk 8 -10 miles at a time and I thought that as I lost weight and became fitter this would get better. It hasn`t, and yesterday when i got back to my car it was a struggle even to grip the steering wheel.

It does pass quickly once my walk is over but it`s uncomfortable and it starting to worry me.

Any tips would be fantastic ... thanks in advance for your help

Tracey xxx.

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I used to notice that too. Not sure why it happens except I figured poor circulation. Try to keep them swinging up high and even hold them up now and then to see if that helps.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Some gloves might help if it's cold.
  • terriepage
    terriepage Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mine always do that too. They go down pretty fast afterwards. I think it's just gravity and increased circulation during the swinging while you walk...kind of like a centrifuge.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You might try bending your arms more since this is possibly due to "dependent edema", in other words the effects of gravity on your hands from the long walk. Cutting sodium might help too. The numbness could be due to carpal tunnel syndrome, especially if you have a job that requires lots of hand motion like extensive time at the keyboard. I had to have surgery on both wrists due to that condition. The overriding symptom was numbness at first and, as the condition progressed, fiery pain. But it isn't something that develops quickly. If it continues I would suggest seeing a dr for a real dx. Good luck and congrats on the walking. Quite impressive!!
  • Jackieann007
    Jackieann007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This happens to me! I did some research and found that it is just caused by blood pooling in your hands and arms. The best thing you can do is hold your hands above your heart now and then when you are walking. I have been doing this and it helps ALOT! I hope it helps and if not I would consult your doctor.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When it's warm out and I go for a long walk my hands also swell up like crazy and go numb. Note that I'm not over weight at all so this is an unlikely cause. I would say it's poor circulation since I know I have that.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Mine too. Have for years. Not a big deal. Mine don't do it on the eliptical. Try that or a bike or swimming or something if it bothers you too much.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-swelling/AN01403

As a nurse, I would take pillows and put them under my patients swollen arms/hands. They need to be at or above the heart for the heart to work more effectively to move the blood down to your kidneys and remove the excess fluid from the body. ELEVATE! (This is also part of reason we weigh less in the morning....lying flat helps kidneys work better, and you pee off your excess fluid before weighing yourself!) And how is your sodium intake? I work with heart patients, and a huge concern is excess fluid/retention so we remind them to eliminate salt.

Whatever you're doing to exercise, keep it up! Stay away from sodas. One teaspoon of salt is 2.3 grams or 2300 milligrams of sodium. That is not much to some but more than 2000 a day for people with weak hearts can really hurt them.

Additionally, from personal experience, I have found eating a few bananas a week keeps my water weight down. There is a relationship between potassium and sodium in our cells. But all electrolytes need to be balanced to be healthy.
  • aliburstall
    Options
    It might be a sodium issue, if you are eating very sodium-laden foods. Celery is in that family! Bending arms when walking probably will help, don't carry heavy things, drink more water and eat potassium to regulate body salts.
  • aliburstall
    Options
    Jinx. We said the same things!
  • orchid100
    orchid100 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone .... was starting to think it was just me !!!

Will try holding my hands higher from time to time along the walk, had tried carrying something small (keys etc) so my fingers were always moving but didn`t work ... so your ideas are well worth a go.

You`re all brilliant!!

Thanks again

Tracey xxx