Why are scales never the same?

Options
I don't understand this. Apparently,no scale ever gives you the same weight. It makes no sense at all and it is something I have never understood. Your weight should be your weight and yet,if you weigh in on two scales neither will give you the same weight. I have heard someone went to two Doctor's offices and both the scales gave her a different weight! Now what sense does that make?

Replies

• MitchFletcher
    Options
    Most people forget that a scale has to be periodically calibrated to be accurate. Calibrate and go by your own good quality scale.

Hope this helps. good luck.:smile:
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Because the scales are calibrated differently. DR's scales are the worst!! All the cleaning people smash into them with vacumn cleaners are knock the calibration off. Never believe your Dr's scale!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    The Taylor digital website says industry standard is for scales to be accurate to within 2 lbs. I have always wondered why I weigh 10 more lbs. at the doctor's office, myself.

I think high-traffic scales just tend to slide out of calibration with use and age, personally.

I only ever use my home scale for consistency.
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think there's too many variables. Maybe we could find a giant laboratory scale??
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Scales have different levels of accuracy, and many of them aren't calibrated right. Plus your weight fluctuates throughout the day. And doctors' offices, please. Pay no attention to them.

In the end the actual number isn't important. Just stick to using the same scale and preferably the same time of day. So what if one scale says you used to be 200 and now you're 185, and the other says you used to be 190 and now you're 175... either way you've lost 15 pounds.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The Taylor digital website says industry standard is for scales to be accurate to within 2 lbs. I have always wondered why I weigh 10 more lbs. at the doctor's office, myself.

I think high-traffic scales just tend to slide out of calibration with use and age, personally.

I only ever use my home scale for consistency.

10lbs heavier!? Holy camole. I have my first follow up Dr.s appt on Monday. I am .4 more pounds before I hit the 40lbs lost mark and I'm so afraid the Dr's scale is going to read higher. I'm just going to tell him what my scale at home says, and that TOM has arrived so I'm retaining water. :P He was impressed when I lost 6 pounds in 3 months 2 years ago so I hope he'll crap his pants when I tell him I've lost 40lbs since March! :P
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The best scales I have ever bought and are 100% accurate as I tested them with a brand new balance weight gym scales are the

Weight Watchers Glass Precision Electronic Scale 8946U

I dont know if you can buy these in the U.S.A
  • Alice230
    Options
    And you would think the Doctors would have the best most accurate scales lol