Sugar

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
Is it true I'm only supposed to have 24 grams in a whole day? :noway: Is that even possible? Yesterday I went over by 40 grams, mostly from my oatmeal.

Replies

• bonniejo
    Options
    Is it true I'm only supposed to have 24 grams in a whole day? :noway: Is that even possible? Yesterday I went over by 40 grams, mostly from my oatmeal.
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    MFP gave me a total of 28 grams a day and I also go over into the 40's. But my sugar isn't coming from cakes or muffins, its coming from bananas and things like that...so I'm just ignoring it. I figure as long as my sugar is coming from natural foods I won't worry about it so much.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes it's true, and possible. You have to read the lables.

Fruit sugar is better then table sugar, and spreading it out is better then one big meal with lots of sugar.

I have about 32 g a day, mostly fruit, but some sucrose (table sugar) as well. You just have to be consious of it. There's lots of stuff with no sugar in it naturally. Processed foods tend to have more.
  • bonniejo
    Options
    I guess I can only get so picky with food from the caf and no kitchen!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

oh, you're in college? Eating from a cafeteria? Hmmm, tougher. But still, not impossible.

how good is the cafe? I can give you some stuff to get there, but steer away from 99% of the cereal, cereal can be really high in sugar. Do they allow you to order stuff or is it all just line food pre-made?
  • BOOPIS67
    BOOPIS67 Posts: 19
    Options
    I always go over my sugar from fruit. Also with the fiber I go over but isn't it good to get extra fiber.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I always go over my sugar from fruit. Also with the fiber I go over but isn't it good to get extra fiber.

ahh, extra? Generally you don't need extra fiber if you are healthy and regular. But getting ENOUGH fiber is important.
    Going over with any sugar isn't great, but if you spread it around through the day and get a lot of it from fruit it's probably won't do any harm either, especially fruit (NOT juice), because the sugar is locked up in the fiberous material and takes longer to digest. The upside of fruit is it brings with it a lot of other great nutrients, so even if you are taking in a little extra sugar, the other stuff is so good for you that it kind of balances out the good vs bad thing.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Doesn't MFP only have 15 g of fiber for their settings? 15 grams is not a lot of fiber-I always go way over on fiber.
  • bonniejo
    Options

oh, you're in college? Eating from a cafeteria? Hmmm, tougher. But still, not impossible.

how good is the cafe? I can give you some stuff to get there, but steer away from 99% of the cereal, cereal can be really high in sugar. Do they allow you to order stuff or is it all just line food pre-made?

I usually just buy a box of cereal to use for breakfast. My caf is the healthiest on campus (that's not saying much) But they have a nice salad bar, and a sandwich line with a panini press. Not really any good fruit though. I peeled an orange today and it was brown inside! And the veggies are what I like to call mystery veggie crap. We've started refering to all caf food as s*** on a plate.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I usually just buy a box of cereal to use for breakfast. My caf is the healthiest on campus (that's not saying much) But they have a nice salad bar, and a sandwich line with a panini press. Not really any good fruit though. I peeled an orange today and it was brown inside! And the veggies are what I like to call mystery veggie crap. We've started refering to all caf food as s*** on a plate.

lol, weird, I went to a state school but they had an awesome cafe for some reason. Anyway, you might want to skip the cereal, most cereal has tons of sugar in it (there are a few exceptions though, just be aware of which one you are gettings).
  • bonniejo
    Options

lol, weird, I went to a state school but they had an awesome cafe for some reason. Anyway, you might want to skip the cereal, most cereal has tons of sugar in it (there are a few exceptions though, just be aware of which one you are gettings).

I'm eating muligrain cheerios now, but like I said, I can't have fruit for breakfast. What else is there?