C25K Program

Options
I have been researching the C25K program and I wanted to see if anyone has done it and if it really works. I have never been a runner due to always using my asthma as an excuse and currently I can barely run to the corner without my chest burning. But I think this program would be good for me because I am not only trying to lose weight but change my whole lifestyle so that I can be healthier. Would anyone recommend this and does it really only take 9 weeks to be able to run 5K?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• amcarey4783
    amcarey4783 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just posted the same question pretty much. It seems like people really like it and it has worked for them i just started today... good luck
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner, not sure that I would call myself that now too, maybe jogger is more suitable! ;) With that said I am on week 7 and can jog for 25 minutes!!! It has taken me longer than the program's 9 weeks, but who cares?? I am doing this! And have lost 25 lbs while doing this!! I highly recommend it!!!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K a few weeks ago! I have never ran in my life! now i run 4 times a week at least 5K, im working on increasing it and training for Triathlons, Warning Running is SUPER addictive :) hope you do cos i know you will enjoy it, any questions please ask :)
  • Mommyof3CrazyBoys
    Mommyof3CrazyBoys Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies! I am going to try it and see how it goes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    C25K is awesome.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    I am in the middle of week 3 with the C25K program and, yes, anyone can do it!! The best thing is that you take it at your pace. If you feel that you need to repeat a week, then you can. If you need to have a couple days inbetween, then you can. I have the app on my iphone and sync it with my music. When I need to start jogging or walking, the music goes quiet and the voice tells me what to do. I love it!!

I have noticed a HUGE difference in my stamina and the way my body shape is changing. I also do weights, which in my opinion, have helped strengthen my leg muscles so the jogging isn't as difficult.

Give it a go - you have nothing to lose except pounds!!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have completed this program and it starts off nice and easy! I would recommend that due to your asthma you do the 9 week program! It's really great and has changed my whole outlook on running! I now love to run and can run 5 miles easily :)
  • Mommyof3CrazyBoys
    Mommyof3CrazyBoys Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am going to do it. I am going to start on Sunday since its the beginning of the week. I will give you all an update once I start it. I'm sure at first it will be hard for me but will get easier over time.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yeah, TONS of posts on here, groups of people doing it together.
    I completed it and ran my first 5K Oct 1!
    Sprained ankle now, but I'm shooting for a half marathon this time next year!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am going to do it. I am going to start on Sunday since its the beginning of the week. I will give you all an update once I start it. I'm sure at first it will be hard for me but will get easier over time.

Just noticed your GW#1, you will blitz that if you get into this I garuntee you! Iv lost 32 pound since I started C25K 11 weeks ago! Go get it! Its hard but you'll love it :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    I have completed this program and it starts off nice and easy! I would recommend that due to your asthma you do the 9 week program! It's really great and has changed my whole outlook on running! I now love to run and can run 5 miles easily :)

Nice and easy for you, maybe!! LOL Oh how I struggled w/ the first 4 weeks, but now I am doing Week 7 and successfully!!!! =D
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!
    I am 2 days from completing the whole 9 weeks...I ran today for 35 min w/out stopping and could've done more. I ran 30 min on Sunday IN THE RAIN !!! Because I had to run. The feeling you get is so incredible and it's because of ME..I did it! The high I get from running I NEVER get working out at the gym..or doing a crazy DVD at home. THIS..THIS is something that I see and feel and accomplish every time I run. I love that I have goals...My first 5K is on Oct 30th...a 5 mile run on Nov 6th and another 5K on Nov 24th. I will run a marathon next October.

Do it...you won't regret it
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm a HUGE advocate of the program. I previously only "ran" if someone was going to mug me :) I started C25K at 38 yrs. old, never having run, except for that horrid physical fitness test they gave you in high school. I ran an official 5K race at the end of the 9 weeks, and I didn't die!!! It was awesome. Now, after turning 40 this summer, I just ran my first HALF MARATHON!!! Talk about emotions! The program definitely works. And don't worry about how fast you are. We all go our own pace. One of my favorite race shirts says "Complete, not compete." As long as your feet move forward you ARE a runner.
  • Tyler477
    Tyler477 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    IT WORKS! just got done running my 2nd 5k today using this program... I've never been in better shape, and my resting heart rate is a staggering 48 BPM now!

HIGHLY recommended for many many reasons.

GET GOOD SHOES! AND STRETCH AFTERWARDS EVER TIME

if you don't do this you WILL hurt yourself.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options

Nice and easy for you, maybe!! LOL Oh how I struggled w/ the first 4 weeks, but now I am doing Week 7 and successfully!!!! =D

Correction....I just completed week 7!!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    IT WORKS! just got done running my 2nd 5k today using this program... I've never been in better shape, and my resting heart rate is a staggering 48 BPM now!

HIGHLY recommended for many many reasons.

GET GOOD SHOES! AND STRETCH AFTERWARDS EVER TIME

if you don't do this you WILL hurt yourself.

Yes....get fitted for shoes!!!!