When I was a kid....

Options

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say for sure that all kids today have it "easier" than in previous years, I just think they have different problems and hardships to work through. Just throwing that out there.

Exactly

This Generational griping has been going on for generations. Had there been internet message boards in the 1600's we'd be complaining that our kids get to make their bows and arrows with a steel knife instead of a knife they chiped out of a rock.

Different technology brings about different problems, and our children will have to deal with them just like we deal with ours.

Yah.... and this wasn't meant to be a serious discussion, but now we all know who the party-pooper is. :tongue:
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid...
    ...we used an MS-DOS operating system on the computer, where you type in the commands.
    ...I passed notes instead of texting.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just had a 15 year old call my office and cancel an appointment for this afternoon because "it's raining and I can't walk." :noway: Um....excuse me? Ever heard of an umbrella? Kids are dang spoiled these days!
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    When I was a kid we didn't have "fair" soccer and football. We got our *kitten* kicked and either we won or we lost. If we lost..we just had to suck it up. There was no "everyone wins"..WTH? No..you lost sucka!
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but I work with kids in both jobs so I can see some of the influence. I agree about the playgrounds for certain. When I was a kid, playing on the playground was independent. Parents didn't freak if you fell or tripped or anything that was a minor scrape. Now, you can't have a kid scratch their arm without having to write up a report on why it happened. Technology is a huge piece of it too. I almost feel communication is harder for them now that they are immersed in facebook and texting. I used to walk to my friends, talk in person. We would really get together instead of just talk about it on the internet. But the thing they have the easiest right now is not taking accountability. It is never the child's fault for anything. It is always someone else. And while adults and peers do have an influence...when i was a kid and got a bad grade my parents grounded me. If I talked smack or did anything out of line, boy did i know it.

One thing I don't envy about kids today is the video games. I would never trade my time outside and using my imagination for a video game anyday. Sure, I played Mario and Sonic but a half hour a day tops if that. It was a treat, not the rule!
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    When I was young we went to the video store and rented the VCR & the movie...now we have On Demand...my young boys couldn't believe that we had to lugg home a "huge box" to play the movie too...lol!

Good grief I'm old. When I was a kid the VCR hadn't been invented. You watched what was on one of the five channels we got.
  • Tahoe77Chelle
    Tahoe77Chelle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did not have a television in my room and I read books for fun. We never had cable television either. Also, we sat down as a family to eat meals together, which were always cooked at home and were meat, starch, veggie with a glass of milk.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I went to Catholic school...we had no playground equipment...our "playground" was the blacktop parking lot.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If I had to do it all over again, I'd become a chiropractor.

There's gonna be a LOT of people with messed up necks and backs from constantly slumping over their phone and texting.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    YOU FOROGT!!!!!!! Those steel structure were covered in LEAD BASED PAINTS!
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    All of the above as well as spankings. Nowadays kids will call the police on their parents if they touch them. I grew up in an Irish Catholic household and we got SPANKED HARD so it was tough to sit for a few days. Needless to say we didn't misbehave or talk back much.

OH and my favorite is all the kids wearing helmets and knee/elbow pads. We didn't have that when I grew up. You learned not to fall and break your body!
    Yep! I have a kid that does that! Such a waste of time for them! Shes a spoiled brat! Thanks Grandpa! ick
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep, all of the above & more! I could really rant & rave for hours!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When I was young we went to the video store and rented the VCR & the movie...now we have On Demand...my young boys couldn't believe that we had to lugg home a "huge box" to play the movie too...lol!

Good grief I'm old. When I was a kid the VCR hadn't been invented. You watched what was on one of the five channels we got.
    I must be ancient in that case, cos when I was a nipper we only had 3 channels to choose from :laugh:
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Video games.. we played football and had adventures outside....

now I pay 49.99 for my kids to play football and have adventures on the ps3 =/

1. this thread is ridiculous.

2. you have no one to blame but yourselves for crap like this, you are the one choosing to buy your kid video games instead of sending them outside to play or going outside as a family and playing family sports..

My niece and nephew always ask me to buy them games or toys or whatever and I tell them to get their butts outside and use their imagination.
  • ishrugged
    ishrugged Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A teacher friend of mine told me that his highschool has banned correcting papers in red ink because it's emotionally damaging.

Are you flipping kidding me?
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say for sure that all kids today have it "easier" than in previous years, I just think they have different problems and hardships to work through. Just throwing that out there.

Exactly

This Generational griping has been going on for generations. Had there been internet message boards in the 1600's we'd be complaining that our kids get to make their bows and arrows with a steel knife instead of a knife they chiped out of a rock.

Different technology brings about different problems, and our children will have to deal with them just like we deal with ours.

^^ this
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Exactly

^^ this

Couldn't just have fun with it, huh? :yawn:
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    ...you didn't have to worry about the weird loner kid bombing the school or shooting up the cafeteria.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Wow, you guys were lucky!! Five channels?!! We had four and one of them you couldn't really see all that well. LOL Seriously, we lived in the sticks. We had ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS.
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    When I was a kid, we had to share our phone line with the neighbor down the road (party line!) and it was long distance to call my friends, so I rarely got to talk on the phone.

Need I explain how much easier communication is for today's kids?! =)
    I had a party line, too. I never talked on the phone, but I did occasionally listen in to others - It was, as expected, boring!