Why can't I loose any more weight?

Options
I have been stuck on the scale now for about 2 months. I am trying for my fantasy goal weight of 100 lbs. I am only 5 foot so this is not really crazy. I am at 112 now. My husband says I am in starvation mode. I work out 1-1 1/2 hours a day, usually only one day off a week sometimes not even. When I work out I usually do either kickboxing with handweights, running, hip hop abs, insanity, butt bible or another bonus workout on Exercise TV. I am always under on my calories by 100-500 per day. I drink a ton of water. I don't post it, but usually 10-12 glasses. Anyone have a suggestion?

Replies

• Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you actually need to eat a little bit more. Especially exercising that much.
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was told your NET at the end of the day after exercise should be close to your calorie goal! I may be wrong..i posted something like this a few days ago and want to hear responses too!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Can't tell ya without seeing your diary but it's most likely one of two things

1. you aren't eating enough because you're working out for a ridiculous and unnecessary amount of time everyday
    being under your calories by 100-500(especially 500) isn't necessarily a good thing since MFP already gives you a deficit to lose weight each week. so try actually meeting your calorie goals.

2. 100lbs is unhealthy for your body no matter what you think, your body is probably trying to tell you that you don't need to lose more weight.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    First off, the leaner and closer to your goal weight you are - the harder it is to keep losing weight. Most people will tell you to decrease your calories as you get thinner - I've found that for me, INCREASING my calories as I got closer to my goal weight is what worked. Decreasing made my weight loss stop and I actually started to see a gain.

My recommendations are: up your calories by a couple hundred and do it for 3-4 weeks (gives your body time to catch up with what you're doing). You may see a small gain initially, but usually people see that weight come right back off. Also, try and get your daily calories as close to zero as possible. This website is designed to not have 200, 300 or more calories leftover at the end of the day.
  • malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    every single th ing i have read on here has said to eat what your daily calories are suppose to be (give or take a few but as a rule)

it seems so weird that if you eat too little you will actually do youself a dis service

there is a reason they give you a calorie amount so you should eat what you are requried to daily
    i bet you will notice a difference!
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Can't tell ya without seeing your diary but it's most likely one of two things

1. you aren't eating enough because you're working out for a ridiculous and unnecessary amount of time everyday
    being under your calories by 100-500(especially 500) isn't necessarily a good thing since MFP already gives you a deficit to lose weight each week. so try actually meeting your calorie goals.

2. 100lbs is unhealthy for your body no matter what you think, your body is probably trying to tell you that you don't need to lose more weight.

I agree. You probably need to eat more and you should probably calm ur exercise down a bit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck on the scale now for about 2 months. I am trying for my fantasy goal weight of 100 lbs. I am only 5 foot so this is not really crazy. I am at 112 now. My husband says I am in starvation mode. I work out 1-1 1/2 hours a day, usually only one day off a week sometimes not even. When I work out I usually do either kickboxing with handweights, running, hip hop abs, insanity, butt bible or another bonus workout on Exercise TV. I am always under on my calories by 100-500 per day. I drink a ton of water. I don't post it, but usually 10-12 glasses. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Too much cardio IMO. Lots of cardio for 60-90 mins and really no high intensity strength training will usually lead to muscle catabolization and the LOWERS your resting metabolic rate meaning you aren't burning a many calories at rest as you used to. Switch to a weight oriented workout for a couple of months and reduce the cardio to 30-45min a day at most. I've done this with many a female who were "cardio only" and they got into better shape with a leaner look.
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with "ninerbuff". I was doing tons of cardio all of the time, like you and very little strength training in fear of "getting big"..haha what a lie i was believing. Finally I listened to my husband..and stepped up my strength training and pushed some heavy weights for 12-15 reps. I lost my final 15 lbs. I look better than I did in college. Listen, we dont have enough testosterone to look like men...pump some iron sister!:-)
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    Have you considered that by struggling to push your body near to the lowest possible healthy weight, you might actually be damaging it? The BMI is a guideline, and by pushing your body's limits what you are really doing is getting as close as possible to an anorexia diagnoses without actually hitting it. At 100 lbs you'll be 5 lbs away from medically anorexic. Maybe this is your body's way of telling you this is a bad idea. BMI is a guideline, after all, but when it talks about the lowest possible healthy weight there's no mucking around. While there are people with exceptionally small natural frames/very high metabolisms, the vast majority shouldn't be trying to aim so low. Consider that your body is fighting you because it is trying to be healthy, and think about the long term consequences. This might be why you can't lose more weight.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    what is your bodyfat %? If it's really low, your goal might be unrealistic.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I will be eating more and lifting more weights. I am not sure of my body fat. I have already met my initial goal and I am very proud of myself. I just would love to be at my 21 year old weight once again. I have an extra small body frame and don't look to thin now. I am going to attempt to post before and after pictures soon.
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm 5ft too and 100 lbs would make me look deathly ill. 112 is MORE than healthy for your size. If you really want to lose those last couple pounds which I don't think you should need to. Push up your calorie limit to about 1500 and eat your exercise calories. Do some strength training like everyone else said. And if it still doesn't come off, try the 17 day diet. Its perfect for those last couple pounds and includes metabolic confusion which will push you past your plateau. But you CANNOT workout like you do on that diet either.

I wish you good luck but I honestly think you need to switch to maintaining and even by doing that you will probably see weight loss because I think your husband is right.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Why not get the bodyfat test? could be more revealing than you think. VS trying to get to some pre-determined set weight goal.

I did. and from what the test revealed, I couldn't get back to my 21 year old weight w/o losing a significant amount of muscle mass along with it.
  • Kdonovan512
    Kdonovan512 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your body is in self-preservation mode. As most of the posters have stated, you should consume a couple of hundred calories over your maintenance level for about two weeks and then go back to a calorie deficit. Dieting for too long will eventually create a situation of diminished returns that can be circumvented by.....taking a break from the calorie deficit routine.

It also seems like you're doing way too much cardio and not enough weight training. Excessive cardio can actually be counterproductive in creating a catabolic environment in which you lose lean body mass (LBM). LBM will burn more calories in a resting state than fat.

I also don't know about your macronutrient ratios but cutting down carbs and replacing them with protein and/or healthy fats (omega 3s) should also help you overcome your current plateau. Look into a an isometric diet, e.g. Dr Sear’s The Zone Diet and see how your body responds.

It's not just losing pounds but improving the quality of the lean body mass you maintain that is crucial. You should also feel healthier :-) Are you also taking/monitoring body measurements? That reminds me that I have to do the same!!!!

Good luck. Hope this helps!!!