Best cardio to compliment body pump?

Options
What is the best cardio to do on days I dont do body pump? I'm looking to burn fat and maintain/ increase muscle.

I usually do body pump 2-3 times per week, cx worx once a week, and cardio 3-4. Currently I just do the elliptical for 60 min on cardio days.

Replies

• virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Try these I found them yesterday on line

Interval Variation I: Standard
    The following is a typical interval workout. You alternate the same period of low intensity with the same period of higher intensity.

1. 3 - 5 minutes warm-up (light jog, low intensity, gradually increasing at the end of the warm-up period)

2. 1 minute moderate or high intensity followed by 1 minute low intensity (repeat 6 - 8 times)

3. 3 - 5 minutes cool down (light jog, low intensity, gradually decreasing by the end of the cool down period)

Interval Variation II: Pyramid
    This pyramid structure allows you to start with short bursts of speed, and then you'll peak at the longest surge of energy in the middle of your workout before coming back down.

1. 3 - 5 minutes warmup

2. 30 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity

3. 45 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity

4. 60 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity

5. 90 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity

6. 60 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity

7. 45 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity

8. 30 seconds high intensity

9. 3 - 5 minutes cooldown

Interval Variation III: Sports Conditioning
    Sports are unpredictable. This interval simulates some of that unpredictability by having you doing different times and different intensities. You can mix and match the orders and repetitions as much as you want. Rest longer after the periods in which you use the most energy.

1. 3 - 5 minutes warmup

2. 2 minutes moderate or high intensity followed by 2 minutes low intensity (repeat once

3. 30 seconds high intensity followed by 30 seconds low intensity (repeat four times)

4. 60-yard sprints (or 10 seconds if not running) followed by 90 seconds rest (repeat 6 - 10 times)

5. 3 - 5 minutes cooldown
    Want more Men's Health
  • petrball
    petrball Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor and walk. Walking is a hugely under rated exercise......... and its not impactive on those joints

:smile:
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump! to revisit later.
  • k8wilson
    k8wilson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Body Step :)!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Since it looks like your gym does Les Mills classes, possibly Body Attack or my favourite RPM.

RPM is tough on the legs though, so could affect those hundreds of squats people do in Body Pump.
  • elmedus
    elmedus Posts: 18
    Options
    Spin!

Best calorie burner (for me) there is :)
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    I do Attack or Body Combat on days I'm not doing pump. If I'm doing two classes in a row I tend to do Body Pump followed by Zumba just because it's a bit more fun and there are more opportunities for breaks.
  • Fit_Britt
    Fit_Britt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get into spin but the seats hurt my booty! haha
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can buy gel seats that go over the seats in the spin/RPM classes - I have one and they're great. Spin or RPM are great cardio workouts but can tired out your thighs (esp if they're recovering from a recent pump class). I agree Les Mills body step is a great cardio and body combat is also great cardio and great for the upper arms/core/back etc.

I currently do step, combat, pump and RPM classes at my local gym and LOVE them!

Have fun :smile:

Kathy
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I run in addition to BodyPump. I also use the ARC trainer and sometimes elliptical.
    Second spin classes; they're lots of fun!