Blood Pressure Question?

Options
kerrilucko
kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
SOooooo... I tested my blood pressure on one of those self serve machines at a pharmacy, and it said my blood pressure is 98/64. That sounds REALLY low to me. Everything I can find online only talks about BP being too high and says anything under 120/90 is within the optimal range. But... is that not way too low? It was kind of shocking, I was expecting it to be higher. Does anyone know anything about BP?

Replies

• kerrilucko
    Options
    SOooooo... I tested my blood pressure on one of those self serve machines at a pharmacy, and it said my blood pressure is 98/64. That sounds REALLY low to me. Everything I can find online only talks about BP being too high and says anything under 120/90 is within the optimal range. But... is that not way too low? It was kind of shocking, I was expecting it to be higher. Does anyone know anything about BP?
  • scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    No, that blood pressure is fine. If you are 5'3 and petite...which you are now.. :) that will lower a blood pressure in itself. It all has to do with the heart..you are very active and your heart doesn't have to work as hard to replenish the body. So, therefore your blood pressure will be a little lower. But, you are just fine, I wouldn't worry about it. If it got below 90 than I would go to the doc..but it seems to be just fine! What was it before?
  • tabbiekaye23
    tabbiekaye23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    your bottom number is great but your top number is a little low but i dont think low enough to worry. I would have it checked a few more times before i worried. Also those machines can be off .
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    No, that blood pressure is fine. If you are 5'3 and petite...which you are now.. :) that will lower a blood pressure in itself. It all has to do with the heart..you are very active and your heart doesn't have to work as hard to replenish the body. So, therefore your blood pressure will be a little lower. But, you are just fine, I wouldn't worry about it. If it got below 90 than I would go to the doc..but it seems to be just fine! What was it before?

But that's the thing, I'm not 5'3" and petite. I'm 5'6" and towards the high end of healthy. I'm not sure what it was before, I THOUGHT the last time I was at the doc (not long ago) that he said I was 110/70. But he had to do it 3 times to get a reading, because he couldn't hear my heartbeat in my arm, (doctors seem to always have this problem with me). And my BP has always been a bit low, I just never thought THAT low.
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm 6'0, 175 lbs and mine runs about 115/70. I've visited lots of doctors lately (for different reasons) and none of them seem concerned about it. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If it were too low, you would be having dizzy spells I would think. :smile:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    That is perfectly okay as long as you are not having any symptoms of lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, etc.... your body will tell you when/if it gets too low, so listen to your body... and those machines are not always accurate, stick with what the doctor tells you. Drinking more fluid will also increase your BP some as it increases the volume of blood in the veins.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    That is perfectly okay as long as you are not having any symptoms of lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, etc.... your body will tell you when/if it gets too low, so listen to your body... and those machines are not always accurate, stick with what the doctor tells you. Drinking more fluid will also increase your BP some as it increases the volume of blood in the veins.

I actually do get dizzy spells on occaision, but the doc has told me not to worry about them. No fainting, and I do mean very rare dizzy spells. I drink a ton... usually anywhere from 8-15 glasses of water a day, sometimes add a couple herbal teas to that as well. I'm always drinking. Maybe the machine was kind of off or maybe I was having an off day.

Thanks guys!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Those self serve machines can be horribly inaccurate. See your doctor or go to a walk in clinic to get a more accurate reading. :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If your doctor is concerned, they'll monitor it. Mine dipped down to 92/60 when I was running a lot, and my doctor told me to make sure I drink enough water and sodium and not to stand up so fast. :laugh:
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    That's where mine usually sits. It is on the low end of healty. My doctor is not concerned about it. I do occasionally get dizzy spells when I stand up too quick too.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    90/60 is the low end of normal Kerri, you're fine (as far as your BP goes at least :wink: :tongue: ). don't you worry about it.

Mine was 106/62 a month ago by the way, I was psyched! My nurse looked at me, looked down at the chart. Looked back at me, took my BP again, went "huh, you're not on any medication right?" I said "nope, why?" She said "well, last year around this time your BP was 123/80" and it usually doesn't drop that much on it's own in 1 year. I smiled and said, "How bout if you drop 55 lbs, start working out, and eat healthy for a year?" She smiled and said, "Yep, that'd do it!"
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Thanks guys, makes me feel loads better. I was just kind of surprised at it. My fiance did his first and he was like 120/70 and I was thinking oh good! that's healthy! and then I took mine and he was like wow, that's LOW, not in a bad way just... and I got too thinking, ya that is pretty low... Wasn't sure if it was normal :flowerforyou:
  • suskorpio
    suskorpio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure is always 98/64 that is normal for me I have primary Addison disease and low BP is normal my endo takes sitting and standing readings there is usually about a 2 or 3 point differences I took a addisonian adreanal crisis 3 days ago and my readings shot up to 140/90 my readings are now almost back to normal for me if you are worried ask for more tests to be carried out happy now hospital sending me home
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Mine was 90/60 at doctor's office recently. He didn't blink an eye. A few days later at another office it was back where it normally is. In your case it might have just been the machine. I suggest you check it a few times before getting worried. Any reading can be fluky, even if taken by the best doctor or nurse.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure jumps around all day.

W0809a_web02a-1.jpg

If you are getting dizzy spells, there are things you can do to prevent low blood pressure. One of the things you can do is have more salt. If you are standing and feel like you might faint, take a step and then sit down. Movement will raise your blood pressure a little.

All that water you are drinking might actually be contributing to your low blood pressure if you don't also take in more salt.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the machines at the pharmacy. Have you had it checked at the Dr's office recently?