2 days until my first 5K..Nervous

Options
Hi,
My first 5k is this Saturday.. I'm excited and a bit nervous. I know I can't run the whole thing, but, I can run for quite a while without taking a quick 1 minute walking break.. I know I can finish the race..the one's I've done at home have been completed in about 37 minutes give or take. We shall see..

Any ideas what I should wear?

Replies

• surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    How awesome. I signed up for one on November 6th, will have to walk the whole thing, but hey, its going to be just fine!
    Layer if its going to be cold.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just have fun! Don't worry about running the whole thing, just keep a pace that is comfortable for you. It's amazing enough that you signed up and are going to do it.

Good luck!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just have fun! Don't worry about running the whole thing, just keep a pace that is comfortable for you. It's amazing enough that you signed up and are going to do it.

Good luck!

I say where something you want to see everytime you see the picture of yourself crossing the finish line!! Good luck!!
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I was always worried about my time. Until I saw a t-shirt during a 5K that said "I may not win the race, but I'll beat the person sitting on the couch!" This has since become my motto :) Good luck and have fun!
  • megfish216
    Options
    I completed my first 5K two weeks ago and it was the most amazing feeling. I know you can do it! Make sure to hydrate the day before! Good Luck!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Just go out and have fun with it...the fact that you are actually going to do it is inspiration enough! If you have to walk a bit, so be it...at least you are doing it

What to wear: depends on what the weather is...it is better to err on wearing too little than wearing too much and over heating. My personal rule is below 50*: pants and long sleeves, above 50* shorts and lightweight long sleeves or t- shirt or tank depending on temp.

If you are not sure, wear shorts under "break away" pants, so you can take it off mid race...

Have fun!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Have fun - it's your 1st 5K - enjoy it!

I did my 1st 5K this past Sunday. It was cool, so I wore capri shorts, t-shirt & sweat jacket. I took off the jacket before the race. Before the race, I had only run just about 1.9 miles before. But I was able to do the whole 3.1 miles without walking. Yay! I run slow, so I wasn't worried about time. It took me 47:30 to finish and I came in last. But I finished!

Don't worry about keeping up with anyone else. Run your pace. Do a run 10 walk 1 minute if you need to. There is no shame in that. You're doing a 5K, that is AWESOME!
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    You'll be amazed how the atmosphere and the other runners pump you up - sure, you'll be nervous, but it will be a good nervous, and you will feel fantastic at the end, I'm sure. The what to wear question depends totally on where you live and what the forecast is...
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been training for a while.. No doubt I can do it! Excited though
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 5K this sat as well! Im nervous but I can run 5 miles without stopping. That being said, Im slow. And I keep worrying about my time which I know I shouldnt think about. Good luck to you!!
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best of luck and have fun! It's a fantastic accomplishment and you'll feel great when you're finished! I've been running for quite a few years and one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten along the way is to dress as though it's 10 degrees (celcius that is, I'm Canadian) warmer than it actually is. You might feel a bit chilly to start off with but trust me, you'll warm up. You may also be surprised to find that you end up a bit faster than in your training runs since having so many people around you is very motivating :)
    Have fun and enjoy!