So I could use encouragement...

Options
I've been on the site for a couple weeks. I really need to lose weight, both for my own appearance and for medical reasons. I lost 15 lbs while doing the South Beach diet. I fell off the wagon and tried it again, but the second time, it didn't take. I really need get rid of this weight. I'm not happy with the way I look. I have little self-confidence. I try to exercise but because I'm overweight, I don't like to do it, except when I'm doing it with someone.

So I am looking for encouragement and help! Please!

Replies

• tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Think of this as an adventure in a new lifestyle and a discovery of different ways to enjoy food and exercise.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have to say that when I work out at the gym and I see a couple different overweight people come faithfully to workout and try to change their lifestyle, I am proud of them for giving the effort. Even if you have to start out slowly, keep it up and make working out
    a part of your routine, and you might be surprised that you really miss it when you have to miss an extra day or two. Ultimately it comes down to wanting it bad enough to stick with it but losing that weight could buy you several more years of life. :smile:\
    Also, I suggest a lifestyle change as far as eating, not a special "diet". I could never stick with some diet that deprives me of the foods I love, just learned to eat everything in moderation.
  • erinn6688
    Options
    You can do it! This site is really great for tracking your progress and once you start to see and feel a difference it will be self motivating and it will get easier! It wont always feel like it does now! It wont always be this hard! Just be positive and don't think "I'm not where I want to be" just think "I'm working on it and I'll get there"
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!! But keep in mind that you didn't gain the weight over night, so it's best to take it off slowly the right way through diet and exercise.
  • owlcalls
    Options
    I am the biggest person in both my yoga class and my Zumba class. Honestly, no one is looking at you! Everyone is too worried about themselves.

You can do it!
  • lorjill
    lorjill Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP at the end of May 2011 I was 100lbs overweight with really bad eating habits, and was a couch potato. I dropped my caloric intake and starting walking everyday..I literally walked my a** off (which is what my mom tells me). I can now run 4 miles in about 45 min, and have dropped 75lbs so far. If I can do it....SO CAN YOU!!! Believe in yourself...I do.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Remember to just take one step at a time. Go for a walk every day. Even if you only have time to walk for 15 minutes it is better than nothing. Log everything you eat (I quite often check the calorie content and nutritional content before I eat it so I don't blow my calorie count for the day) You will learn what foods fill you up for the lowest calories. Make sure you get enough protein and fiber. I have lost 12 pounds since mid-september just doing this. In fact, I often do not exercise. This week I really have exercised more. Eat more often and less amounts. For breakfast I eat the whites of 2 boiled eggs (I can't eat very much early in the day) Midmorning (during a work break) I eat weight control oatmeal. Lunch is usually tuna and crackers or a sandwich on sandwich thin bread. I usually try to have my afternoon snack as soon as I get home from work which lets me make a smaller meal for dinner. We have a ton of salads for dinner. For evening snack, I try to look what I need as far as nutrition that will still keep me under on calories. For instance today, it will have to be tiny because I have only 100 calories left, but I have met my fiber and protein requirements for the day. I may just have a cup of skim milk. I feel like I am eating all the time, but I am never hungry. You have to find what works for you and don't deny yourself anything. Just remember to eat it in moderation. If you are craving chips, instead of eating from the bag, put a few chips in a bowl and put the bag away. Good luck and remember you can always come on here for support. Most of us are just trying to lose weight just like you!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    It gets better, it gets easier, but it takes hard work and persistence! My biggest motivator to stay in shape and maintain now is for my health. I want to live a longer, fuller life. Doesn't everyone? :) Yes! So you have to ask yourself, how bad do I want this? Because when it really comes down to it, you either want it bad enough or you don't. I hate "diets" because you know what? They don't work.

You need to change your habits, instead of relying on a pre-planned diet to tell you what to eat. Educate yourself on nutrition and what's good/bad for you. That is the best way to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

As far as exercise goes, I can tell you from my own experience that my first 2 months SUCKED. It was so hard, and it was so painful, I really felt like giving up so many times, but what is important is that I didn't! No matter how hard it was, and no matter how frustrated I got, there was always this part of me inside that was even angrier at me for wanting to give up, and that made me push even harder to prove that negative part of me wrong! You have to coach yourself into believing in you! You can do this. Don't give up. <3
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    I use to have that problem two years ago. I weighted about 240 at this time two years ago and All I did was work at Burger king and eat there, come home and lay down for rest of the night. It got to the point My chest was hurting and I didnt want to do anything so I kept telling myself over and over and over to go to the gym. So I did and I forced myself to like exersicing and had some fun with it. Though I dont like people watching me work out I went when it was hardly anyone in it. When I lost about 40 lbs I decided to join the Marines and then got into running that I use to hate. After doing it after certain amount of times I got into running and even though I am not in The Marines anymore I still run 3-10 miles and I love it. Just have to do it and once you feel better and see differences you will begin to love it. Just have to keep telling yourself yes you can and you will get into it.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    try these things to motivate yourself, its what works for me anyways:

1. Every once in a while I get into the mood to cook, so I make healthy, diet food. I challenge myself to make the most filling and plentiful food possible with the least amount of calories possible. I have quite a few new recipes. It's fun and making new dishes usually keeps you on your feet for about half an hour or more (exercise!).

2. I have a list on my wall next to my desk. It lists everything I want to get into shape for. This really helps in the mornings when I need to get up and do a 10 minute quickie workout but I want to sleep in. Try to think of as many things as you can for why you want to get healthy and fit.

3.When you see something you want to eat, just think of all the times you have already eaten it in the past, you already know what it tastes like, why eat it again? ( again this works for me... well sometimes.... but i do have a sweet tooth).

I know you can do it! You wouldn't be on this site asking for help if you didn't want to lose weight, so stick with it! Just think about how you and your family/friends will be of you when you can go swimming and look great next summer!