Question for the ladies!

Options
Ok ladies,i need your help! I have unwanted fat on the side of my chest that I want to get rid of,i notice with certain bras or shirts that its just there,i don't like it,especially when I want to wear cute bras n stuff for my hubby.I lift small weights and do chest flys n also push ups.Please share anything that can help in that area! Thnx!

Replies

• Mamamaggie
    Options
    Man, I hate that too. It's not really a muscle to work out. I was watching some doctor television show & they said if lots of cardio didn't help, then maybe plastic surgery (yikes). I'd love to know if anyone actually DOES know some tricks though.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. We can't spot reduce fat though, and there isn't a whole lot of muscle there to tone :-/

http://gosleevelessblog.com/get-rid-of-bra-bulge-with-the-saw-exercise-to-sculpt-your-arms-and-upper-back/ I did a quick google for exercise for bra bulge, and found this.

This gives some advice as well

http://www.livestrong.com/article/363338-exercises-to-prevent-bra-bulge/
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. We can't spot reduce fat though, and there isn't a whole lot of muscle there to tone :-/

http://gosleevelessblog.com/get-rid-of-bra-bulge-with-the-saw-exercise-to-sculpt-your-arms-and-upper-back/ I did a quick google for exercise for bra bulge, and found this.

This gives some advice as well

http://www.livestrong.com/article/363338-exercises-to-prevent-bra-bulge/
    Thank you! I will check it out!
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Options
    Man, I hate that too. It's not really a muscle to work out. I was watching some doctor television show & they said if lots of cardio didn't help, then maybe plastic surgery (yikes). I'd love to know if anyone actually DOES know some tricks though.
    Ya that sucks! You would think working out hard will get rid of it!
  • yessiseguy
    Options
    hi Lovely Leah, i cannot say i have an answer but maybe just a small tip. i think anything tight accentuates fat bulges anywhere. maybe try to use a bra that isnt as tight when you can. and maybe that way the bulge will ease a bit. but i know that once you keep dropping that bulge will be less less less. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You mean those back fat wings under your arms? I have those too - really annoying and not cute!

Like any other of our problem areas, you can't really spot reduce... Just keep eating right, exercising witha good balance of cardio and strength and hopefully it'll tighten up as the fat shrinks. Building muscle does help but using those light weights probably won't, at least not in the long run. Try upping your weights as the exercises get easier - if you're not feeling any wekness or fatigue, you're not doing enough..

That being said, it never hurts to make sure you're working a problem area. Look up exercises for lats, upperback and shoulders. Rows, lat pull-downs, shrugs, standing v-raise, etc. Some require gym equipment but if you look around enough, you'll find things you can do at home.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    More cardio and watch your diet. Also do some resistance training. Drink green tea it works and acupuncture.
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Options
    hi Lovely Leah, i cannot say i have an answer but maybe just a small tip. i think anything tight accentuates fat bulges anywhere. maybe try to use a bra that isnt as tight when you can. and maybe that way the bulge will ease a bit. but i know that once you keep dropping that bulge will be less less less. :)
    Thnx Yessise,the thing is,i have bought bigger bras n some shirts aren.t even tight,so annoying,lol,i guess in time it will just go away
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Options
    You mean those back fat wings under your arms? I have those too - really annoying and not cute!

Like any other of our problem areas, you can't really spot reduce... Just keep eating right, exercising witha good balance of cardio and strength and hopefully it'll tighten up as the fat shrinks. Building muscle does help but using those light weights probably won't, at least not in the long run. Try upping your weights as the exercises get easier - if you're not feeling any wekness or fatigue, you're not doing enough..

That being said, it never hurts to make sure you're working a problem area. Look up exercises for lats, upperback and shoulders. Rows, lat pull-downs, shrugs, standing v-raise, etc. Some require gym equipment but if you look around enough, you'll find things you can do at home.
    Thank you!
  • yessiseguy
    Options
    yes it will gorgeous! promise :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been fitted for a bra? Most likely you (like most women) are wearing the wrong size.

That might be a start, and aside from that...cardio, cardio, cardio. That's actually a spot I've dropped a lot of weight in this year, but I'm down to about 12 lbs to my goal weight, and this is recent...so it took a long time to go away (I was about where you are now when I started, so you aren't far away!). If you belong to a gym, get on an elliptical that makes you use your arms - that seems to help too!!

Keep up the great work!
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing... that pesky area of fat that bulges out whenever you wear a strapless dress? Yeah, that stuff sucks... The only answer I have it a meal plan that promotes weight loss (obviously, that's one reason you're on MFP) and also lots of chest exercises. The muscle in that area is not a major muscle group (i.e. quads, biceps, abdominals) but it is what's called a stabilizer muscle. These muscles are there in order to stabilze your major muscles when you're lifting weights, or doing everyday things that might require doing heavy work.

My suggestion is a lot of free weights when you do chest, such as bench, dumbell flys laying flat and also leaning back (incline), dumbell presses laying flat on the bench as well as at an incline. And also, those push ups you've been doing - keep them up!! And change up your hand positions! Closer together (diamond), farther apart, hands at 2 and 7 instead of 3 and 9. Things of that nature will help you strengthen and tone up those stabilizer muscles. Helpful hint: machines that you push a pin into a weight plate don't work your stabilizer muscles. Those machines are specifically made to make one motion and not let you "wiggle" at all in order to strengthen those tiny little stabilizers. So make sure you get the free weights in there!!

I'm wordy but I hope I helped!!
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Options
    Well, here's the thing... that pesky area of fat that bulges out whenever you wear a strapless dress? Yeah, that stuff sucks... The only answer I have it a meal plan that promotes weight loss (obviously, that's one reason you're on MFP) and also lots of chest exercises. The muscle in that area is not a major muscle group (i.e. quads, biceps, abdominals) but it is what's called a stabilizer muscle. These muscles are there in order to stabilze your major muscles when you're lifting weights, or doing everyday things that might require doing heavy work.

My suggestion is a lot of free weights when you do chest, such as bench, dumbell flys laying flat and also leaning back (incline), dumbell presses laying flat on the bench as well as at an incline. And also, those push ups you've been doing - keep them up!! And change up your hand positions! Closer together (diamond), farther apart, hands at 2 and 7 instead of 3 and 9. Things of that nature will help you strengthen and tone up those stabilizer muscles. Helpful hint: machines that you push a pin into a weight plate don't work your stabilizer muscles. Those machines are specifically made to make one motion and not let you "wiggle" at all in order to strengthen those tiny little stabilizers. So make sure you get the free weights in there!!

I'm wordy but I hope I helped!!
    Yes,thank you so much:)
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Hello there, I still have that same problem and I can't stress enough on just eating the right foods (variety & moderation) and cardio. With Cardio comes strength training. You have to build that muscle (Teres major) and I practice these exercises for that specific muscle:

*Inverted Row
    *Barbell or Dumbbell Row
    *Rear Lateral Raise( Use Dumbbells)**** KILLER MOVE & MY FAVORITE
    * Y raise
    * L RAISE**** KILLER MOVE & ANOTHER FAV
    * Chinup****
    * Lat Pull Down
  • smagee1973
    smagee1973 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's good to know that drinking green tea helps! I drink that daily. :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about the area between the underarm and the waist?? That's what I'm wondering about for myself. Those rolls of fat are now bigger than my stomach so I come off kind of wop-sided looking if I wear anything that is form fitting. I've looked and looked and can't find much online about those...but I will try the "lats" look again and see if that helps.
  • apshortest
    apshortest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In the meantime, I would like to suggest the Vanishing Back Bra from Soma - several styles, no bulges. The best thing ever!
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Options
    In the meantime, I would like to suggest the Vanishing Back Bra from Soma - several styles, no bulges. The best thing ever!
    Will have to check that one out,ty
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    That's good to know that drinking green tea helps! I drink that daily. :)

Drink twice a day. You see good effects!