Caveat: This is a rant about personal training services/gyms

Options
I admit that I can be stubborn, pig-headed and a know-it-all. I know I have much to learn and being in education I’m probably the least receptive to learning if I detect flaws in someone’s argument or approach. However…

I just joined a new gym near my work. Part of the sign up process for this new gym is a mandatory fitness assessment were they try ever so persuasively to get you to buy personal training packages. Now I’m not averse to using a personal trainer I just don’t have heaps of money at my disposal and I think I’m okay on my own at the moment. Well, I came out my appointment feeling like a big sack of pooh. DEFLATED.

Essentially the two trainers I was assigned to poked fun of my program, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and heavily critiqued my form or lack thereof. They insisted that I show them how to properly perform a one legged squat. Like really? I never professed that I could even do one and I don’t know a ton of people of average fitness like me who should be expected to do the same. No word of a lie, they were openly mocking my fitness level and my technique. In the end, I failed their form test, scoring a potential 10 out of 25. For serious? Once upon a time I was considered an elite athlete. Heck, I was in just such a program at school and we had trainers working with us all the time. There I got no comments on my form or technique. Not that it means much, but still, am I really that bad?

Then we moved on to the metrics. Okay, I knew I was out of shape but alarmed that my BF is a whopping 33.6%. In order to get down to my desired 19%, which fitness Nazi #1 tells me is completely achievable in 42 weeks, I need to gain 15 lbs. of muscle while simultaneously losing 24 lbs. of fat—hahaha, and I says pardon? Apparently, regardless of how much my general fitness or technique sucks she says I should be able to achieve what few men can in less than a year all the while maintaining a calorie deficit. Now I’m no mathematician but that *kitten* just doesn’t add up. In the end, her prescription is for me to hire her for six training sessions a week, yes SIX! Again, I’ve never been good with numbers but I’m going to say that at minimum she’s going to set me back $300 a week. Ouch.

Am I wrong to be upset or should I just suck it up and admit that I need to be more humble and maybe buy some training sessions? Please advise. I feel like I shouldn’t pay them much mind because I know they’re just trying to sell their services but I didn’t need this shot to my confidence at this time.

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. If there were mocking you, I'd even change gyms. As a person to person that's unacceptable behavior. As someone who is trying to get your business, that's reprehensible. You are much better without them.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    They do that at my gym, too. Ignore it. Seriously. Educate yourself and workout on your own. If you decide later that you need help, a session or two might help, just to get some feedback and some new ideas.

They have quotas. Remember that.
  • LuneBleu85
    Options
    I used to have a personal trainer years ago who was amazing and made workouts fun, I think it's a horrible advertisement for your services to belittle someone. Don't give them a penny! :)
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I admit that I can be stubborn, pig-headed and a know-it-all. I know I have much to learn and being in education I’m probably the least receptive to learning if I detect flaws in someone’s argument or approach. However…

I just joined a new gym near my work. Part of the sign up process for this new gym is a mandatory fitness assessment were they try ever so persuasively to get you to buy personal training packages. Now I’m not averse to using a personal trainer I just don’t have heaps of money at my disposal and I think I’m okay on my own at the moment. Well, I came out my appointment feeling like a big sack of pooh. DEFLATED.

Essentially the two trainers I was assigned to poked fun of my program, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and heavily critiqued my form or lack thereof. They insisted that I show them how to properly perform a one legged squat. Like really? I never professed that I could even do one and I don’t know a ton of people of average fitness like me who should be expected to do the same. No word of a lie, they were openly mocking my fitness level and my technique. In the end, I failed their form test, scoring a potential 10 out of 25. For serious? Once upon a time I was considered an elite athlete. Heck, I was in just such a program at school and we had trainers working with us all the time. There I got no comments on my form or technique. Not that it means much, but still, am I really that bad?

Then we moved on to the metrics. Okay, I knew I was out of shape but alarmed that my BF is a whopping 33.6%. In order to get down to my desired 19%, which fitness Nazi #1 tells me is completely achievable in 42 weeks, I need to gain 15 lbs. of muscle while simultaneously losing 24 lbs. of fat—hahaha, and I says pardon? Apparently, regardless of how much my general fitness or technique sucks she says I should be able to achieve what few men can in less than a year all the while maintaining a calorie deficit. Now I’m no mathematician but that *kitten* just doesn’t add up. In the end, her prescription is for me to hire her for six training sessions a week, yes SIX! Again, I’ve never been good with numbers but I’m going to say that at minimum she’s going to set me back $300 a week. Ouch.

Am I wrong to be upset or should I just suck it up and admit that I need to be more humble and maybe buy some training sessions? Please advise. I feel like I shouldn’t pay them much mind because I know they’re just trying to sell their services but I didn’t need this shot to my confidence at this time.

Okay, I have to totally respond to your post.

It really saddens me to hear your experience. It really sounded like they were not very motivating or support and if they think that that kind of approach is going to get them session in their pocket, well shame on them.

As a trainer, I do feel it is valuable for those new to fitness or just needing a refresher on techique and suggestions that will maximize ones program. It is an investment in yourself and one I do recommend. I personally go by the rule that I am here to help educate, motivate and also help others to become independent to train on their own. If you don't take knowledge away from your training sessions, well your trainer is not doing their job - sorry and it sounds like there are a lot of real self centered greedy trainers out there.

I hope that you don't allow this experience to discourage you and know that there are really great trainers out there that really want to help. Two sessions with a qualified and kind trainer is a great start to get you on track and confident in your routine when you get to the gym.

Best,
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    In short. No you are not wrong to be upset. run do not walk away from that PT. she is dangerous. btw if that is a recent pic you can not be 33.6 % BF.
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you just signed the gym contract...you may have 3 days to legally cancel without penalty...I would seriously do this!

Otherwise...train on your own. The internet is a wealth of knowledge at your disposal.
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Run. Don't walk.
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am going to the gym for the first time in a loooooong time next week. I am now prepared with my ear plugs, a firm no, and the knowledge that what I am doing works for me and I have other people that I can trust to help me on the path rather than tearing me down. It sounds like they want you to buy in to their system regardless of how you feel about it. My fear is that this can't be a lifestyle for you. That's a lot of money to spend for an extended period of time. Also anyone who makes fun of you probably does not have your best interests at heart.

I wish you the best at your new gym, and I hope you find a program that really works for you.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    These folks sound like asshats! I've been working with my trainer twice per week since January. Not ONCE had she belittled me. She has corrected my form, encouraged, and sometimes yelled (on days I need it), but never derided me when I have questions or can't do something. I find that gym trainers are dolts when it comes to how to actually work with their clients. My trainer comes to my home and works with what is here or wha she brings. Look at my profile picture and see the results (which is a few months out of date!)
  • ryanfeltz
    ryanfeltz Posts: 126
    Options
    I had one that I hope to use again... he was nice but firm during our sessions and followed up to make sure I was doing well everyday and following my diet and cardio routines on the days i didnt see him for strength training.

That is obscene that they made fun...... i would waste my time or money.
  • ajm07
    ajm07 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's clear this gym focuses on sales above all else, and use pressure tactics (and dumb muscelbound staff) to intimidate you into signing up. It probably works most of the time.

Just figure out your own regime.

I'd only sign up to a personal trainer if
    a) I seriously doubted my own abilities or technique.
    b) I needed more motivation.
    c) I was rich
  • sckrlov
    sckrlov Posts: 74
    Options
    I went through something similar at a previous gym and I ended up quitting because I was so discouraged and I couldn't afford training, heck I could barely afford my membership. Years went by with no gym and then when I moved I found planet fitness $10 a month for membership and unlimited personal training is free. So I am giving it a shot again. I have noticed the trainers are not so harsh but still kick you in the butt when you need it, probably because they do not work on commission. Best of luck to you.
  • ROBP5
    ROBP5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Quit the gym and join somewhere else, the staff are mocking you! They should definitely evaluate you on technique and offer guidance. But when you come away from the gym feeling upset and negative thats awful! PT's are there to inspire, encourage and motivate you to achieving the goals you desire
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I'd find a new gym if that's the crap they put out there to represent the gym. you have a right to be ticked.
  • sp53
    sp53 Posts: 40
    Options
    Try a Crossfit gym. It is so intense you can easily feel like a "sack of poo," but there is NO ridicule and while you will see people doing one legged squats, you will see other people (me) struggling to do "air" squats. I would be crushed if someone laughed at my workout capabilities.
  • amy3820
    amy3820 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm with cessnaholly! I'd find a different place to go.
  • cullenbweber
    Options
    I'm very sorry about your experience. Unfortunately there are two types of trainers, those with a real education in a sports medicine or training field, and everyone else that takes the $100 online certification exam to supposedly be a personal trainer. Any educated person would know better than to intentionally embarrass or poke fun at you during a resistance training session. Everyone has to start somewhere, and even those fools at the gym didn't know what they were doing the first time they walked into a weight room.

First of all I would give you a few pointers from my education thus far. I am not currently certified, but I am a senior student at a university kinesiology program, so I know a little.

1. If you've never trained before, you definitely shouldn't start out going six days a week. Start with a goal of two if you think you can fit it into your schedule. If you're more comfortable starting with even just one day a week, one is still better than zero. If you do decide to go twice a week, make sure that you don't go on consecutive days. Starting to do resistance training can be quite taxing on your system and you're going to experience some soreness.

2. Don't over do it. If your goal is that you simply want to tone your muscles and lose some body fat, try to find an exercise for each major muscle group and use a weight that you can do about 15 reps with. Even if you just do your own body weight to start out with that's okay.

3. Form is important, but so is choosing the right exercises that you are capable of performing correctly. One-legged squats are advanced move that most people unless they train regularly would struggle with. Squats in and of themselves are good for you as they're a great total body exercise that fires up your metabolism. Just make sure when you get to the bottom of your movement that your knees aren't further out in front of you than your toes, make sure to keep your back mostly straight, even slightly arched in your lower back, and try to get a 90-degree angle about your knee.

4. Don't put up with people at the gym that try to intimidate or embarrass you. It's unprofessional and ignorant of them to treat you that way. I would complain to their management about the experience because no business should want their employees to behave in such a way.

I sincerely wish you the best in your endeavor and good for you for getting active and trying something new!! We're all cheering for you here.
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry about your experience. Unfortunately there are two types of trainers, those with a real education in a sports medicine or training field, and everyone else that takes the $100 online certification exam to supposedly be a personal trainer. Any educated person would know better than to intentionally embarrass or poke fun at you during a resistance training session. Everyone has to start somewhere, and even those fools at the gym didn't know what they were doing the first time they walked into a weight room.

First of all I would give you a few pointers from my education thus far. I am not currently certified, but I am a senior student at a university kinesiology program, so I know a little.

1. If you've never trained before, you definitely shouldn't start out going six days a week. Start with a goal of two if you think you can fit it into your schedule. If you're more comfortable starting with even just one day a week, one is still better than zero. If you do decide to go twice a week, make sure that you don't go on consecutive days. Starting to do resistance training can be quite taxing on your system and you're going to experience some soreness.

2. Don't over do it. If your goal is that you simply want to tone your muscles and lose some body fat, try to find an exercise for each major muscle group and use a weight that you can do about 15 reps with. Even if you just do your own body weight to start out with that's okay.

3. Form is important, but so is choosing the right exercises that you are capable of performing correctly. One-legged squats are advanced move that most people unless they train regularly would struggle with. Squats in and of themselves are good for you as they're a great total body exercise that fires up your metabolism. Just make sure when you get to the bottom of your movement that your knees aren't further out in front of you than your toes, make sure to keep your back mostly straight, even slightly arched in your lower back, and try to get a 90-degree angle about your knee.

4. Don't put up with people at the gym that try to intimidate or embarrass you. It's unprofessional and ignorant of them to treat you that way. I would complain to their management about the experience because no business should want their employees to behave in such a way.

I sincerely wish you the best in your endeavor and good for you for getting active and trying something new!! We're all cheering for you here.

*LIKE!!!*
  • mugwump71
    Options
    write a bad yelp review about them. sometimes businesses really take a hint from those. and someone who has never been to the gym might use that info to make an informed decision. (I would recommend not going to a personal trainer that someone hasn't recommended to you). It's too easy to have you pay up front and not know how much you're going to like them.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    just remember they are sales people. i'm in sales too...and i will sell you anything to put food on my table and hawt sexy shoes on my feet. (unless you're my friend and then i'll tell you the truth--i don't sell to friends or family)

they have quotas. and the personal training at those gyms is a crock of *kitten*. my sister got roped in...she did a few months and spent $$$$.

if you really feel that you need personal training i would look outside the gym. there's lots of trainers who do it out of their homes--my best friend does this. she refuses to work for the big chain gyms--she's a personal trainer, not a salesperson.

but good for you for getting there!!! just keep going back and doing your thing--to hell with them and what they think.