Meat is delicious. . .

Options
and I love, love, love red meat! Sadly, it slows down your intestinal tract, plus it has a lot of other not so great stuff, which makes it a better choice for occassionally, rather than all the time. . .

I have been eating a lot of chicken, and throwing some fish in there, but does anyone know where pork falls into all of this?! what kind of meat is it considered ( I get that its white, but I am meaning fatty/lean, etc.)?

I am just looking for a little change up, and was curious.

Thanks for the tips!!

;D

Replies

• juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Pork is one of the absolute least healthy meats.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm on Paleo. It's all good. :D

If you put several servings of different meats into your diary temporarily, you should be able to see a very direct comparison of their nutritional values, fat percentage, etc.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    pork is a red meat. I eat very little pork but I do include it in my diet presently. When I begin scaling back meats this will be the first to go since the beef I eat is all grass fed. If I was doing conventional beef it would be the first to go.
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options

FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pork chops used to be on the doctors’ hit list. Today, however, pork is “the other white meat” and is a healthy alternative to red meat. And when it’s eaten in reasonable quantities (8 oz), a pork chop can be quite good for you. Pork chops can be relatively lean, but they’re typically not as low-fat as chicken or fish. By contrast, however, a USDA, University of Wisconsin and Maryland study found that a 3 oz (85 g) serving of pork tenderloin contains 0.105 oz (2.98 g) of fat and that the same portion of skinless chicken breast contains 0.106 oz (3.03 g) of fat.

If chops are still your thing, look for lean ones, and trim the fat before you eat them. A typical pork chop, with the fat cut off, contains about 0.3 oz (8 g) of fat. Beware, however, of cured pork, like ham and bacon; both meats may contain nitrates and nitrites as preservatives, which have been linked to cancer.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

What? Umm, not at all, it's actually a very healthy, lean meat with lots of nutritional value.
  • thinnerjenn
    thinnerjenn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm on Paleo. It's all good. :D

If you put several servings of different meats into your diary temporarily, you should be able to see a very direct comparison of their nutritional values, fat percentage, etc.

So true! Paleo here too and I eat it all with a big helping of veggies :)
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is as lean as chicken breast and has about 25 grams of protein in a 3oz serving. It is a very good choice to make.

Just make sure it is the tenderloin you are eating. Other pork choices like sausage or bacon do not have the same healthy properties.
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is as lean as chicken breast and has about 25 grams of protein in a 3oz serving. It is a very good choice to make.

Just make sure it is the tenderloin you are eating. Other pork choices like sausage or bacon do not have the same healthy properties.

A voice of reason! People bagging on pork annoys me!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Like beef, it depends on the cut. Pork tenderloin has about the same fat content as boneless chicken breast. Spare or baby back ribs or bacon have a LOT of fat.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pork chops used to be on the doctors’ hit list. Today, however, pork is “the other white meat” and is a healthy alternative to red meat. And when it’s eaten in reasonable quantities (8 oz), a pork chop can be quite good for you. Pork chops can be relatively lean, but they’re typically not as low-fat as chicken or fish. By contrast, however, a USDA, University of Wisconsin and Maryland study found that a 3 oz (85 g) serving of pork tenderloin contains 0.105 oz (2.98 g) of fat and that the same portion of skinless chicken breast contains 0.106 oz (3.03 g) of fat.

If chops are still your thing, look for lean ones, and trim the fat before you eat them. A typical pork chop, with the fat cut off, contains about 0.3 oz (8 g) of fat. Beware, however, of cured pork, like ham and bacon; both meats may contain nitrates and nitrites as preservatives, which have been linked to cancer.

THANK YOU!!!

Pork is terrific! I buy pork tenderloin center cut chops in bulk and butterfly them. One of them bad boys has like 40g of protein and 4g of fat (or somewhere around there). I love pork!
  • Hezzah
    Hezzah Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you ever tried any of the faux meats available now? There's actually some really delicious stuff, comparable to the taste & texture of meat but generally much healthier with less calories. You might try Morningstar BBQ Riblets as a start--one of my faves. Hope this helps! :)
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! It seems like pork is a winner, when chosen properly. Of course I assumed bacon, sausage, etc. was not as great (sadly), but I was definitely more interested in other sections like tenderloin, chops, etc. I crock potted a pork roast this weekend, and I have tons left over that I froze. . . not a lot of fat on it, so I am thinking that may be pretty good as well!!

I just don't want to barrel down on something, thinking I am choosing healthy, when I am really not, which happens often to a lot of us :(