Night time munchies! :( HELP!

Options
Im good all day long but for some reason when i come home fdrom work all i do is munch and crave sweets! i cant stop! :( does anyone have some advice on how to stop these cravings and maybe some good things to eat as a filling snack instead?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Try frozen cranberries :] one serving is about 50 calories and it gets rid of my sweet tooth instantly :]
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth then your mouth will feel fresh and you wont want to eat because it will taste funny....works for me :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yes fruit, and also I try to save calories for the end of the day, that way when munchies hit I have some left, but I usually eat a whole carrot, or munch down some cereal, things like granola bars.... Yogurt is always good!!! Good luck!
  • sckrlov
    sckrlov Posts: 74
    Options
    I usually combine some carrots and celery with some sweet fruit like strawberries. The carrots and celery fill me and the fruit cures my sweet tooth both with very few calories.
  • sckrlov
    sckrlov Posts: 74
    Options
    I usually combine some carrots and celery with some sweet fruit like strawberries. The carrots and celery fill me and the fruit cures my sweet tooth both with very few calories.
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    Healthy cereal ( add a little honey if you need to), dark chocolate (with or without nuts), sugar free drinks (not soda), popcorn, add cinnamon to most things. I know it's hard. Try some beef jerky as a snack at night. Lots of protein and some of the flavors are a little sweet. Also have a night time routine that doesn't give you time to want sweets every night.
  • AZBob1956
    AZBob1956 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i tried these little rice cakes - look like silver dollars - very satisfying, and not fattening either
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I save about 300 calories for after supper munching. I usually head for the popcorn, but if I want sweets, there are these 100 calorie slim fast bars that are just like eating a skor bar. Also, 100 cal Fibre 1 bars sometimes do the trick. I always have 100 cal (pre-packaged) snacks on hand. And I'm allowed 3 of them if I save 300 cals for evening snacking. ;)
  • torriesummers
    torriesummers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Before you leave for work, portion yourself out a nice snack. If something healthy and yummy is waiting for you at home you will be less likely to scour the pantry for the easiest munchie fix. :)
  • tonid76
    tonid76 Posts: 51
    Options
    I usually have cottage cheese and some type of fruit. I get the munchie really bad at night!!
  • bananaofmyeye
    bananaofmyeye Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is apple slices with PB2. A serving of PB2 is only 45 calories and tastes almost like peanut butter (not as creamy of course, but still yum!). It's a snack around 120 calories and definitely curbs the munchies.
    Also, if you have a Trader Joe's around you, try the apple cranberry mini fiber cakes. They are 80 calories each and have half a day's worth of fiber. They're not that sweet, but they take a while to chew and they are filling. Hope this helps!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I usually try to save a few extra calories so I can indulge. I like sugar free frozen fudge bars for 40 calories. I have also tried the tooth brushing trick. Unfortunately where I live (Iowa) I can't get outside and go for walks after dinner as the seasons are changing, but some nights I just have to leave the house and go walk around the mall.(Don't take any money with you or it will be counter-productive!)
  • RecipeGirl
    Options
    I make sure my dinner fills me up, and then I brush my teeth right after dinner... so I'm ready for bed. If cravings get bad, I'll have a honey crisp apple (sweet) or a 100 calorie bag of microwave popcorn, make a hot cup of tea.. or just chew gum. I try to get into the mindset that once dinner is done, I'm done eating for the day.
  • kenzisurber44
    Options
    frozen fruit of any kind works for me! And if you throw in a little bit of vanilla yogurt that helps too. Not bad on calories!
  • kristitampl
    kristitampl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try eating fruit to kill the crave. If that doesn't work, try some of the 100 calorie snacks.
  • krystico
    krystico Posts: 104
    Options
    Ugh...! I get the nighttime munchies, too! I try NOT to snack at night. Period. Even if I try to have a healthy snack - it ends with a junk-food-follow-up! My advice (and also my daily battle): Try to stay out of the kitchen after dinner! Good luck!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Shift your planned meals and snacks as late in the day as you need to avoid night time binge snacking. If that means eating dinner or snack just before bed, so be it. 8 hours without eating whilst you sleep is a lot, even if you are sedentary.
  • db411
    db411 Posts: 16
    Options
    baby carrots w/ lite ranch dressing dip. Drink large glass of water
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    45 cal bread-toasted & a tsp of jelly. You can go crazy and sprinkle some PB2 for excitement! ;)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    As an alternative suggestion, have you tried shifting more of your calories towards evening/late at night? In other words, eat less calories during the day, so that you CAN eat more at night and still hit your targets?