3rd Day Logging & I've been HUNGRY ALL DAY

Options
Just wondering if this is normal? I'm making better choices and staying within my calorie range for the day, but today I was just starving. I ate pretty hefty meals (400-500 cal range) but I found myself snacking A LOT! I really fought off the temptation to eat something processed or unhealthy.

Has anyone else noticed that you can feel starving and eat an apple and then you're hungry again like 10 minutes laters? But if you eat a small bowl of ice cream, you're satisfied??

I don't want to fall into the trap. I don't know if it's my body adjusting or what's going on. But I've been SO hungry all day!

Any thoughts, tips or advice?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    if you open up your diary we can help :]
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    A great suggestion is to start out at the losing the minimum pounds per week that your profile will let you... (I believe it's .5lbs). You get more calories, so you don't feel like your starving so much, plus your body has time to adjust.

and gradually... maybe every week or two, take it down another step to 1lb a week loss. Just whenever you feel comfortable.

My plan put me at an immediate 1200 calories, and I was hungry, too. So I changed it up a bit, and found my sweet spots.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water. Also, your body has probably developed a dependence on certain kinds of food - maybe sugar? You need to detox for awhile (ie. suffer just a little) until your body adjusts. Remember that it's not the worst thing to have a little of a bad thing - today I ate 100 calories worth of gummy bears to satisfy my sweet tooth, and it worked.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You could say that I'm always hungry. I used to eat until there was no room for anymore food! It was a hard transition, but it gets easier. Everyone is different, but I suggest you portion your meals so you can eat healthy snacks in between. I always add a salad to my frozen lunches because those lean cuisines do not fill me up!

Oh and I stay drinking water. If I'm not full I drink a glass of water so my stomach can simmer down.
  • esirahs75
    esirahs75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try drinking more water. I've read in some health information that a lot of times your brain will give off hunger signals that may really mean that you need water.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This happend to me when i started , i was actually craving things that even when i was just eating whatever i liked and gaining weight i didnt want ,, Im not really sure why i think maybe it has something to do with your stomach adjusting but also just as importantly to your mind adjusting

for me i think i became a little freaked out and overwhlemed and so i just felt super hungry ,,, good news is a few weeks down the track im suprised at how little im feeling hunger pains and how easy i can be satisfied on small amounts of food also my energy isnt low like it was at the start so i dont feel the need to eat to give it a boost

hang in there im sure in a few weeks youll be feeling the same GL!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I love skinny cow products-- they are so great for chocolate/ice cream cravings. Also I get no sugar added in whatever I can, which helps. And I drink a lot of water and *gasp* diet soda. I know the soda isn't supposed to be good for you but until I get to where I can do without it, it definitely helps me not eat as many calories. I have gradually stepped down the amount though as I've started drinking more water. One thing I've gotten that helps fill me up is almonds, unsalted. You can have a small serving and it's filling, and the protein is good. Good luck!
  • BethGutschlag
    BethGutschlag Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, this week I have tried to eat as clean as possible so my snacks have been an apple or raw veg. The first couple of days were horrible, but now after 5 days I do not feel hungry! Just give it a couple of days for your body to get use to it, the hunger pains will soon fade. Also, fill up with water in between meals.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend!

You need protein!!!!

Supplement one of your snacks with a protein shake. Protein and fats take longer to break down than carbs (apple). Although you made a good choice, don't freak now. Just change what you're snacking on or add more protein to your regular meals. Message me if you need some more ideas. :)

Yogurt
    Cheese
    Meat
    beans
    nuts
    Whey protein shakes
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and eat more fiber and calcium. I notice that if I snack on cheese and almonds, I feel fuller. Snacks are a big part of feeling full and sticking to a healther way of eating. Just make sure that your snacks are not high in calories. Today I had 15 cinnamon roasted almonds and about an oz. of sharp cheddar cheese for my snack. I was still a little hunger so I had a tomato sliced with a little salt on top. It filled me up until dinner!
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    I don't know if what you are experiencing is something normal that happens to you even when you are not dieting... but for me.... I have hungry days. I've figured out my hungry days tend to coincide with the cold or wet weather. On my hungry days it helps if I eat protein. I like to snack on baked cold chicken (yum) and it helps me make it through the day. I have other days when I’m not really hungry but I tend to gorge. These days are usually due to hormones. I can almost predict the days I gorge and make it a point to work out more on those days so I have more calories to eat. :)
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    better choices help (less sugar and more protein/fiber), but it is also just a matter of letting your body adjust, and the first few days SUCK! Even after getting lazy on my eating for a few days, I find that I get extra hungry again the next few days. STICK WITH IT!! It will get better :)
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't know if what you are experiencing is something normal that happens to you even when you are not dieting... but for me.... I have hungry days. I've figured out my hungry days tend to coincide with the cold or wet weather. On my hungry days it helps if I eat protein. I like to snack on baked cold chicken (yum) and it helps me make it through the day. I have other days when I’m not really hungry but I tend to gorge. These days are usually due to hormones. I can almost predict the days I gorge and make it a point to work out more on those days so I have more calories to eat. :)

Agreed! Perhaps your hormones have a little to do with it. When you break down fat, you're releasing Estrogen into your system. We store a little in our fat cells. And/Or it could be getting within 7-14 days of your period. Stay on track! Hang in there! We're here for you!
  • Nichelle_b
    Nichelle_b Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow, what awesome feedback. Thank you everyone for being so supportive and throwing out some suggestions.
    I am also nursing so that could possibly affect it as well.

I will definitely start stocking up on some proteins for my snacks (sting cheese, almonds) and maybe throw in a protein shake. I've always shyed away from those because I thought they were fattening (?) and I'm leary of what I can take as a supplement since I'm nursing. Any suggestions on what type of (lean) protein shake is out there?

Also, I've been trying not to go over my calories since I'm adding the nursing calories (300) every morning but am concerned if he is actually drawing enough milk for me to really need the 300 extra cals.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    I'm feelin the MFP love.
  • sarahmctaggart
    sarahmctaggart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nichelle, if you aren't already, you will need to add breastfeeding in your food diary - you can add it as a food and it will add 500 calories to your day (exclusive breastfeeding) and 300 calories (if you are mixed feeding).

You are probably finding you are not taking in enough calories to compensate what you are burning with feeding bubba. It is really important that you consume these additional calories because it will help you to keep going but also give what your baby needs too.

There is a post on here about increasing your protein - this is really important especially whilst breastfeeding. Some other ideas is having ham on crackers for a snack or yoghurt is another option.

I hope this helps!

I am currentlyl breastfeeding and eating the additional calories has help me lose 5kg in 4.5 months so really happy!
  • jmulldome
    Options
    I will definitely say that it's an adjustment period. Believe me, I was a guy who would shove just about every sweet and pastry in my face, gorge until full at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.........wondering how in the heck did I get this gut.
    Once I decided to take a more conscientious look at what and how much I was eating, I made the necessary adjustments.

I went through the hunger pains for a little while. Once my body got used to the new reduced food intake and more regimented schedule, the discomfort went away.
  • georget84
    Options
    I have to admit guys, despite being a newbie I'm a little concerned by some of the advice being given here. I agree that this is a gradual process and the added factor of breast feeding is something I know nothing about but here are my suggestions:

•if you are hungry, eat. This won't work if you are ever feeling hard done by in the hunger zone
    •Try to keep the times when snacking is easiest to the time you have your main meal. IE when I'm at work, access to snacks is minimal, so I have a low cal lunch, maybe 300 cal tops. I do this with loads of veg and chicken and yes you can feel full from it. This way it means when I get home and snacking is easy, I have a sizeable meal to fill me up and I don't want to snack! It's a routine but it does help
    •Obviously your circumstances are likely to be different from mine but if you can tailor it in a similar way then it should work
    •If you still are snacking, make sure its on the right things, I have fruit and veg (carrot sticks are a particular fav) but also low fat/cal crisps- the under 100 bags such as cheese puffs or the baked crisps, ham slices, fish sticks, pink and whites etc.
    •If you need a bigger more wholesome meal, sub meat for quorn, you can have double or triple the amount and it should fill you up with ease
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating things with protein as snacks?? I try to make sure all my snacks have protein or I'm just starving 2 seconds later. So I add low sodium peanut butter to my food (like an apple) or I eat Kashi Dark Chocolate Almond bars.
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You might also try making substitutions for foods that you can in your meals so you have more room for snacks?
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    •if you are hungry, eat. This won't work if you are ever feeling hard done by in the hunger zone

I agree with you, Georget84, but I would save this advice for someone who has started MFP about a week into the program.

Since this is Nichelle's third day, her body does need to adjust to a lower calorie intake. Granted, she shouldn't be starving, but eating whenever she is hungry wouldn't be productive at this point. If she is still feeling hungry after about a week, I would say up the calories. Until then, wait and see if the body adjusts. That's just my opinion though. :flowerforyou:

Keep it up, Nichelle, and most importantly find what works best for you! :heart: