subway

Options
2»

Replies

• jadi97
    jadi97 Posts: 26
    Options
    the subway website has a feature that lets you pick your sub and your veggies and it will calculate it all for you. It was a little different than what is on MFP. Also i opt for no cheese or mayo and instead add sweet onion sauce (0 calories)
  • Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    this thread really bums out. I've taken a real liking to Subway lately. Eating there almost weekly. I thought it was suppose to be sooo much healthier for me than say McDonalds. Seems like its only slightly better. *bummed*
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    You can dress fast food up to look healthy, but it's still fast food. Honestly, I'd avoid it at all costs. Hit a supermarket salad bar or a local deli. You're much more likely to get "real" food that way.
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating there after a conversation with a former employee . . .

Their bread is not "freshly baked"; it is parbaked, shipped to them frozen in these weird little sticks, and finished in the store.

They add fragrancing chemicals to the bread to make it smell fresh. (This is why the stores smell so odd.)

Also, they use very old Teflon pans, many of which have begun to flake. If that isn't scary I don't know what is.

The employee mislead you. I didnt work at a subway per se but I worked at a place that served subs before. The bread is not parbaked, the sticks are sticks of frozen dough in perfect proportions to be cooked to make a foot long loaf. They dont put any chemicals on the bread they only spray water on the sticks before sticking them in the proofer. The bread expands in the proofer and is sprayed with more water ever now and again. When its to an appropriate size, its moved over to the oven which cooks it in about 9-10 minutes. The smell you are smelling IS fresh baked bread, its just not fresh MADE bread as the sticks come pre-frozen. You can see the proofer and oven subway restaurants (depending on their setup) so I know this is how they do it.

Anytime you cook bread in an oven its going to release the cooked bread smell, they do not need to spray the bread with anything to give off that smell, they merely spray the dough sticks with water to encourage them to expand to their proper size.

It takes a few hours to complete the stick to cooked loaf thats cooled enough to use process. But its really not hard for them to prestock and cook bread every morning to keep them in stock. Its a very low maintenance routine. You put the sticks in a special bread tray, spray with water, stick in proofer, every now and again when they look too dry, respray, once they reach appropriate size (understanding that they shrink slightly when cooked) you move them immediately to the oven and cook for 9-10 minutes. When the bread comes out of the oven its too fragile to use for about 15-20 mins so you let it cool enough then either cut it and get ready for use or bag it for later use.

Personally, I cheat a bit whenever I wind up at subway. I get a 6" with meat and no cheese, and usually no dressings. I have them load it down with spinach, a little tomato (they tend to have very green centered tomatos) and a small bit of black olive. (maybe cucumber depending on the meat I have). When I sit down to eat, I pull off the top half of the sub roll and then fold the bottom half (with the meat and veggies) over, which cuts down the amount of bread you are eating by quite a bit since the top is far larger than the bottom.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Of course they are a sponsor on Biggest Loser, so they do their little 'commercial' segments, but as far as something quick on the go..its not the worst you can do.

I found this site a while ago. I can't confirm its accuracy, but it lets you make up exactly the sub you want and gives you nutritional value.

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators/Subway_calorie-calculator
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Their bread is not "freshly baked"; it is parbaked, shipped to them frozen in these weird little sticks, and finished in the store.

They add fragrancing chemicals to the bread to make it smell fresh. (This is why the stores smell so odd.)

Also, they use very old Teflon pans, many of which have begun to flake. If that isn't scary I don't know what is.

The employee mislead you. I didnt work at a subway per se but I worked at a place that served subs before. The bread is not parbaked, the sticks are sticks of frozen dough in perfect proportions to be cooked to make a foot long loaf. They dont put any chemicals on the bread they only spray water on the sticks before sticking them in the proofer. The bread expands in the proofer and is sprayed with more water ever now and again. When its to an appropriate size, its moved over to the oven which cooks it in about 9-10 minutes. The smell you are smelling IS fresh baked bread, its just not fresh MADE bread as the sticks come pre-frozen. You can see the proofer and oven subway restaurants (depending on their setup) so I know this is how they do it.

Anytime you cook bread (even parbaked) bread in an oven its going to release the cooked bread smell, they do not need to spray the bread with anything to give off that smell, they merely spray the dough sticks with water to encourage them to expand to their proper size.

It takes a few hours to complete the stick to cooked loaf thats cooled enough to use process. But its really not hard for them to prestock and cook bread every morning to keep them in stock. Its a very low maintenance routine. You put the sticks in a special bread tray, spray with water, stick in proofer, every now and again when they look too dry, respray, once they reach appropriate size (understanding that they shrink slightly when cooked) you move them immediately to the oven and cook for 9-10 minutes. When the bread comes out of the oven its too fragile to use for about 15-20 mins so you let it cool enough then either cut it and get ready for use or bag it for later use.

Personally, I cheat a bit whenever I wind up at subway. I get a 6" with meat and no cheese, and usually no dressings. I have them load it down with spinach, a little tomato (they tend to have very green centered tomatos) and a small bit of black olive. (maybe cucumber depending on the meat I have). When I sit down to eat, I pull off the top half of the sub roll and then fold the bottom half (with the meat and veggies) over, which cuts down the amount of bread you are eating by quite a bit since the top is far larger than the bottom.

Subway smells distinctly different than any other sub shop. It has a very "off" smell. Perhaps the employee misunderstood the weird baking process, but I completely believe her that they add fragrancing chemicals. Those shops do NOT smell like real, freshly baked bread. It's gross.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Be warned subway calories includes only the bread and the topping, no veggies, dressings or cheese-all that is extra. I get footlong the turkey breast sandiwch on 9 grain wheat with tomatoes, pickles, cucumbers and american cheese. I do 3 stripes of mustard and 8 stripes of the vinegar as dressing, it's delicious and low cal vs the other dressing they offer, so total cals is 660 for this combo.
    I don't get any other ones cause I am in love with this sandwich :P

I use this calculator to find out exactly how many calories I am using up on subway: http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators/Subway_calorie-calculator
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I tell you what to the naysayers on here about Subway, I have cut out most other fast food places and replaced them with a 6inch whole wheat roasted chicken breast sandwich with spinach, light mayo, oil & vinegar (extra vinegar), onion and oregano or a salad with the same things, and that is probably the most dramatic change I have made over the last 30 days and give that more credit to the pounds lost than anything else. Yes I am a bit more active a few times a week but usually eat those calories in nuts or another healthy type snack. The big change was from burger fast foods to Subway.

I saw one poster was "bummed" that it didn't sound much healthier than the McDonald's he was getting, it is much healthier, don't let a thread like this stop you from making smarter decisions! A Big Mac Meal can throw away your allotted calories for the entire day! And a BK Whopper is even worse and I don't even know who could eat a double Whopper and not have a heart attack right there!

Sure it may not be as good for you as home made organic grilled chicken and home made salad, but it is definitely a better choice than most when it comes to fast foods, especially if you kind of have to find those types of places to eat.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I tell you what to the naysayers on here about Subway, I have cut out most other fast food places and replaced them with a 6inch whole wheat roasted chicken breast sandwich with spinach, light mayo, oil & vinegar (extra vinegar), onion and oregano or a salad with the same things, and that is probably the most dramatic change I have made over the last 30 days and give that more credit to the pounds lost than anything else. Yes I am a bit more active a few times a week but usually eat those calories in nuts or another healthy type snack. The big change was from burger fast foods to Subway.

I saw one poster was "bummed" that it didn't sound much healthier than the McDonald's he was getting, it is much healthier, don't let a thread like this stop you from making smarter decisions! A Big Mac Meal can throw away your allotted calories for the entire day! And a BK Whopper is even worse and I don't even know who could eat a double Whopper and not have a heart attack right there!

Sure it may not be as good for you as home made organic grilled chicken and home made salad, but it is definitely a better choice than most when it comes to fast foods, especially if you kind of have to find those types of places to eat.

I agree that if one must eat at a fast food place, Subway is one of the few halfway decent options.

But I would not make it a habit to eat there. Fast food is fast food, and it should only be eaten occasionally.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Anytime you cook bread (even parbaked) bread in an oven its going to release the cooked bread smell, they do not need to spray the bread with anything to give off that smell, they merely spray the dough sticks with water to encourage them to expand to their proper size.

Subway smells distinctly different than any other sub shop. It has a very "off" smell. Perhaps the employee misunderstood the weird baking process, but I completely believe her that they add fragrancing chemicals. Those shops do NOT smell like real, freshly baked bread. It's gross.

HAH!!! I'm glad my boyfriend and I aren't the ones who've noticed the smell!!! Everyone else I know says "it smells normal to me" or "smells like any other food"...NO! GOOD food doesn't smell like that. It's an awful smell. Honestly if I had actually gone in myself and gotten subs more often, I'd have probably avoided the place in the past, but alas, someone would just usually bring them home, so I wasn't in there too often. I went in recently with a friend while she got something, and the smell was so bad, it made me really thankful I no longer eat there.

As for the naysayer person, well, I can't think of any reason that someone HAS to eat fast food. Unless you are literally starving, and all that's within a reasonable distance is fast food/Subway, don't think it HAS to be eaten. :P