Anyone doing any form of HIIT?

Options
I've been thinking about adding this to my weekly routine and now that winter is setting in and I have a lot more inside time, I started doing it this week. Wow, talk about draining LOL.

Has anyone been doing any form of this for a while?

Does it have the great benefits that are touted out there about it?

There are several reports out there that say it actually helps you create your own HGH.

Thoughts or input from anyone?

Replies

• sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Bump

I am researching into doing HIIT also on the elliptical since winter is coming up !
  • jjordan395
    Options
    What does that stand for?
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training

I've been doing it on my elliptical, my legs are so tired after a short 20 minute go at it, it's hard to believe lol
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry what is HIIT?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes. 3x a week on the treadmill. I'm about to go HIIT it momentarily in fact. Kind of a late one tonight.

It's brutal, but it takes less time than steady-state cardio and I believe it increases VO2max. My speed and endurance on regular runs have apparently improved as well just from HIIT.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the HIIT workouts with Turbofire. I think they're pretty great, considering how much they've increased my cardio in the last two weeks - at the start my heart rate would stay above 180 for an entire 15 minute HIIT workout and now it's down around 165 to 175 - in a more average cardio workout I am usually around 150-160. You get a lot done in a short period of time, which is also pretty great. I wouldn't start doing this style of workout if you have been sedentary up to this point though, they are pretty intense.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i do HIIT with my PT... and it's hard, 30 minutes with her and i feel like i'm about to keel over. I can't drive myself to go that hard by myself, i need to have someone forcing me to do it that hard.

but doing RPM / Cycle classes use the HIIT method i'm sure, because you go hard, ease off, go hard, ease off. i love it. i love being covered in sweat and huffing and puffing, it assures me that i'm working hard.
  • titletown
    Options
    I'm amazed the lather you can work up, my routine is just 20 minutes and I'm pretty soaked and I workout in a very cool basement here LOL

The first day I tried it, my legs were like wet noodles, I could hardly walk back upstairs after LOL
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I try even with my aerobically weak lil self to do some....at least twice a week. I just go go go as hard and as fast as I can on the elliptical. Until I think i'm going to die. Time it, so you don't stop just because you think your going to die, this is important. I used to go 1 minute, now I go until the commercials are over on whatever I'm watching while listening to music. Then three minutes of normal (for me 160 rpm on level 8 is normal) The high intensity part is usually at 190+ rpm level 12. Thats on a precor. The key for me is MUSIC! Fast fast music, heavy beat, heavy bass. I can burn 100 calories ( as per the elliptical ) in about seven minutes or less. The best I have done is 100 in 6.5 minutes. My goal is to keep that going down.

My next goal is to HIIT on the elliptical, burn the 100, and then do weights while the heart rate is soaring for ten minutes and then repeat. I'm not there yet. Sounds good in theory though.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    high intensity interval training, i just started the 5k improver which has you running really fast intervals, hoping it will help me bust thru a nasty plateau!!
  • titletown
    Options
    Here's a great article on HIIT for those of you unfamiliar with this form of exercise.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2011/05/05/how-to-make-sure-you-burn-calories-for-hours-after-your-workout.aspx
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOVE HIIT

My father in law was saying as a child they made them do it in football training sprint, jog, sprint, jog ect/
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just started HIIT training with Tabata..I love it..I can get it done in about 16 minutes and I'm drenched afterwards.
  • rsj206
    rsj206 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    HIIT is awesome in general, and it's a lifesaver when you only have 20 or 30 minutes to work out. I usually do it on the stair climber, since that thing can get your heart going like gangbusters. I've found that semi-regular HIIT really helps my cycling - the hills that used to make me tremble are now difficult but manageable.
  • NEcamper47
    NEcamper47 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The Turbo Fire program uses HIIT pretty heavily.