It just seems too good to be true. Is it?

Options
Tae Bo? I logged that I did 18 minutes of it and it said that I burned 399 calories. But when I walk in the mornings I feel like its kind of harder on my body and I burn less calories. Maybe I'm not punching hard enough on the Tae Bo? :ohwell: What do you think?

Replies

• ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Totally unrelated (sorry I have no idea) but how did you get the weight progression picture??
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    you need a good heart rate monitor to get the most accurate calorie burn
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    From what I've read and heard, Tae Bo burns a ton of calories since it works so many different muscle groups at once. When I googled it (to compare the burn with this site) -- this site and all the websites I found out there? Well, they were pretty close to the same.

Since I won't pay the money for a HRM (I'm in maintenance .. I lost all my weight without one, I don't think it is a necessity to lose weight and keep it off), I pick a number in the middle of all the websites and call it good. I may not eat back 100% of those calories though since it is a guess.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used to log Turbo Jam as Taebo, and it overestimated but 300-500 cals per hour of working out, it said I burned 1100-1400cals in 80-90mins, when its between 700-800. Get a heart rate monitor like I did, it's the only way to really tell. MFP overestimates by way too much for Tae Bo and other exercises unfortunately :(
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that does seem too good to be true. An HRM with a chest strap that takes your stats (like age, weight, etc) would be a better way to measure.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    18 minutes = 399... no way. at least not for me... anyone with a similar weight and height done Tae bo with a heart rate monitor??
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    and even though some people above said MFP over estimates... it underestimates for my spinning. I push myself really hard, and burn a lot more than what MFP says when I spin. My heart rate monitor is the best work out investment I ever made.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I weigh 190, I do Tae Bo (Turbo Jam) and my heart rate is always in 80-90% Target Heart Zone (sometimes 90-100%). Based on my HRM chest strap, I use a calculator that takes my age (22), sex (female), my VO2 max , average heart rate during exercise and duration. VO2 max isimportant in knowing how many calories you burn, it's higher if you're in good shape which results in higher calorie burn-it determines how fast your bloos pumps through your body. My VO2 max is 45-47, which is in athletes category. You can google ways to find out your at home or you can get it measured at the gym.

MFP says I burn 1100-1400 cals for 60-70min workout of Turbo Jam-which same intensity as Tae Bo. Based on my HRM and the calculator I really burn between 700-800 cals for 60-70mins of high intensity workout. My peak heart rate is between 191-193, average 167-181and resting about 54.

[/quote]
    18 minutes = 399... no way. at least not for me... anyone with a similar weight and height done Tae bo with a heart rate monitor??
    [/quote]