Resturant Deliema.

Options
Going out for dinner with the boyfriends parents.
What you you order for 500 calories or less?

Urgh. Itś the worst. I dont even know where they are taking us.

Replies

• Whitneylol
    Options

Personally, I find almost any restaurant has a healthier option. Example, any place with chicken/meat usually has a chicken and veggies option. It may not be on the menu- but ask for it!

If you're going somewhere weird, just eat half of what they give you.

In the end, if you go over just one meal for a special occasion, you will be fine. Don't sweat it too much if it's out of your control!
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    the BF told me specifically Iḿ not to order a salad. I have to have something delicious. Hahaha. Skinny men....they dont know what its like :S
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Use your head. Don't order fries or pasta with cream sauce. Once you read the menu you'll know what is the better choice

Box up half your meal as soon as you get it or ask you boyfriend if he would like to split one with you.
  • Jeannelin
    Options
    Go out and have fun. Stay away from the fried foods and appetizers. Look for fish on the menu. That usually can be ordered broiled or baked and usually come with vegetables. take home at least half of what they give you. I can sometimes get 2 lunches out of one restaurant portion. Just have a bite of someone else's dessert. Drink water or just one glass of wine.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I always look up calorie counts for the restaurant I'm going to....so I already know what I'm getting...
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I always look up calorie counts for the restaurant I'm going to....so I already know what I'm getting...

She just said she doesn't know where she's going, lol.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Didn't catch that...so hilarious.
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I vote for steamed or broiled fish with rice and veggies. Can't go wrong, and you can save room for a glass of wine! You may need it. :)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I usually allot more than 500 for a nite out - plan around exercize or eat leass earlier in the day - like about 700 - 800 to go out (We go out a LOT b/c of travel)

In the worst case scenarios I've had to order like 2 side dishes - most places I can find something though. Tomato sauces not cheese/creams, rice not smashed potatoes, portion control, grilled not fried etc. etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, just enjoy your night out. If you go over your calories a little on one day it's not going to be the end of the world, you will probably still have a calorie deficit anyway and part of learning about healthy eating is learning how to cope when you eat out.

Personally I'm not convinced about boxing up half your meal when you get there - that would look like rather bizarre behaviour to me. But, it might be common behaviour when you live and will also depend whether you already know the bf's parents or if it is the first time you are meeting them.

I think a lot of the calories when you eat out are from the extras - stay away from the bread, drink sparkling mineral water and just have one glass of wine if you feel like you would like a drink.

Order the "plainest" thing you can see on the menu - like a steak or grilled fish or chicken breast and ask for the sauce on the side. This way you get a better idea of exactly what you are eating and it's easier to log than if you get a pasta dish or casserole type thing where there is lots of stuff all mixed in together. Ask for steamed veggies as a side dish, eat half the rice or potatoes.
    Don't have dessert, or share one with your bf if you want to - that way you can just have a few bites while he eats the rest.

You'll do OK, enjoy the free dinner :)
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Can't go wrong with shrimp. Unless they are breaded. High in protien low in calories!