Hmmm

Options
I went to my doctor and asked him how few calories I can eat safely. He told me 700 min and 1120 max. He said that if I stuck to the lower side the weight would come off faster but I would be hungry. He said if I ate the 1120 I would probably still be hungery and the weight would come off way slower. So, he said if I was going to diet it, I might as well do the 700 caliores.

I left his office feeling really confused...

Replies

• Celiamariec
    Options
    Was he including exercise in those figures?!
  • mariahp23
    Options
    No he wasn't
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i know he's a doctor but i wouldnt listen, stick to 1200 hun.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    your doctor sucks.. just sayin...
  • faithog
    faithog Posts: 76
    Options
    I am no doctor... but those numbers sound very low. Your BMR alone will be more than either of those figures!
  • mariahp23
    Options
    Yes I do, 5 times a week!
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yeah, your body cannot function on less than around 1200 calories. You should be trying to lose the weight slowly. You don't want it to fly off of you because it is harder to lose the loose skin. I would get a second opinion from another doctor. There are also ways to find out your BMR to get more accurate information.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me the same thing when I first started. She did say to keep my protein higher but a low calorie diet was safe for me for the first six weeks
  • Tyler4846
    Options
    not to make the doctor sound bad but you might want to talk to a doctor or someone that specializes
    in nutrition and weight loss to get a second opinion, the one that gave you the info just may or may not have
    the right knowledge or information.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Doctors can be wrong, you know. Unless he's studied dietetics, he probably only had a few courses on nutrition at college. And depending on his age, his knowledge could be pretty outdated!
  • Celiamariec
    Options
    Do you have heart problems?
  • mariahp23
    Options
    No I don't.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    That's way too low! I'd see a nutritionist or a dietician if you really want to know Physicians have very little training in this area.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    there are certain situations to do with health problems caused by being overweight where it many be acceptable to go that low for a period of time with doctor supervision - but if there is no such health risk and this is just general weight loss than that is not safe or healthy.
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    He wants to throw you body into starvation mode?!
    You know how we are similar, in weight, and my doctor AND my nutritionist both have in in a much higher calorie count. Maybe you should talk to a nutritionist and not your doctor. Seems like he wants you to lose the weight quick, but eating so little, you're more likely to give in and get discouraged.
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    He sounds like he support anoerexia doesn't he?