Calorie Spikes???

Options
Is a once week calorie spike legit or is a mental justification for a cheat day? Educated feedback please......

Replies

• Airliner
    Airliner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Interesting you ask that as I was wondering the same thing. As it turns out, my 2 weeks with the biggest weight loss were two weeks in which I went over on calories (by up to 1,000!) on one of the days. Not sure what that means ...
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    i also found this! i believe you are confusing your body, our bodies get used to the way in which we life, i.e the diet and excercise, if you throw it off track now again it doesnt know whats happening. just a theory
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have found that varying in calories really helps spurn my weight loss...I would splurge one day by about 400 calories or so, then the next few days be very strict, and every time I would lose another lb or two quickly! So I for one swear by it!! I think its good to keep your body guessing... :)
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your body with work it self into a routine. It wants and is designed to only do as much as it needs too (I am talking about on a cellular and cell respiration and metabolism) If you spike your calories like that it is like slapping your body in the face. This keeps your body guessing. this is what you want your body to do. As long as it is trying to figure out and guess and adjust, Keeps your body working. Just don't do it too often I think once a week is fine and I would do a "meal" and not a day. Within reason. Typically I would eat aprox, 500-750 calories above what you normally consume for that day. If you view it as just a day to cheat and eat whatever, just not good.
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    I have heard that when your body is used to a certain intake of calories and then you spike it with a cheat day that it will speed (rev up) your metabolismecuase of the additional calories I take in. But I always try to get some cardio in on a Sat. or a Sunday before I spend the day having some drinks at the pool with freinds and family.

I really want to know if this works or not!!!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I have spoken to many educated professionals about this and they all say a cheat day is necessary not just for the mental aspect of it.
  • stepha1013
    stepha1013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like these theories :)

I have seen this myself and agree.

Seems similar to the idea of your body going into starvation mode?
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's legit. My trainer practices it and advises it.

I personally like a more structured approach than "one cheat day", so I have started zig zagging my calories. You can get good info and a zig zag schedule calculator at: http://www.freedieting.com/

Bascially, the point is to achieve the same weekly deficit target, but by some lower calorie days and some higher calorie days to mix it up and so that your body knows there is not a scarcity of food and avoid going into more of a preservation mode.

I'm the type of person that needs a structured plan, so this has worked for me and helped my break a plateau that I've struggled with for over a year.

The only cautionary note I would offer is that whether it is a weekly "cheat day" or a zig zag plan, I would recommend simply eating some larger portions of the healthy food you are already eating. Other than the infrequent treat, I wouldn't recommend using the extra calories on junk food or a significant amount of alcohol.

and of course... all calories should be logged, even on "cheat" days... we should still be eating consciously and continue our good habits established by consistent logging.
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    LOl i do this and do not even try!!!
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I tried this yesterday so we'll see. I'm also worried I won't get myself out of "spiking"...lol
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want one dinner a week. Its usually a 600-1500 cal dinner mind you. Totally love the cheat days. ;)
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    HHmm it's the weekend and Im going out for a meal 2morrow..I will eat it up and not feel to guilty! Its only one meal, its a problem if you can't get back on track.:drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!