Weigh-In Frequency ... Weekly? Daily?

Options
How oftern should we weigh-in? I was weighing in weekly but a peer at work told me I should weigh-in daily. At first I thought daily was too frequent but it makes sense that you can see IF you start to escalate back up the scale you can react more quickly if you weigh-in daily as opposed to waiting for a week and the pounds have already come back on.

What do you think? A weekly or daily weigh-in, and why?

Replies

• CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    I weigh myself daily to keep track of progress during the week, but I only record it once a week.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Up until this last week, I only weighed in twice a month. Now i weigh in every week on Sundays.

I can wildly fluctuate from day to day ...

Plus, the scale can mess with some's mind. I don't want every day to be determined by it
  • jennshadle1
    Options
    I used to weigh in every two weeks but that gave me too much room in between to gain so I weigh in daily. I know weight can fluctuate normally a few pounds from day to day but weighing in at the same time each morning helps me gage how I'm going to eat for the day and gives me motivation to stay on track.

I think you just need to try weighing in at different intervals and just see what works best for you!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    weekly or less. Water fluctuations are going to screw up daily weigh-ins so much you won't know if you're arthur or martha...
    Do it at the same time of day, same day each week/fortnight or month.
  • madonna364
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and like doing it that way. I used to do everyday and became discouraged if my weight stayed the same. now with a new work schedule once a week is more convienant.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Most would recommend weekly because folks tend to get emotionally tied to the number. The key is to weigh the same time every time you choose to weigh, Normally first thing in the AM right after your first personal hygiene.
  • scrimming
    scrimming Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh in usually weekly, but no more than that. Everyone fluctuates a few ounces, or a pound or two, every day. It seems obsessive to weigh in daily. It's not the few ounces that we should worry about, but the overall weight loss. Plus, it's more frustrating if you see an increase by those few ounces, and more stressful. That's not good for weight loss either. So far, I've lost almost 30 pounds and I don't stress about the daily changes. Weekly is more than enough. Good luck!
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have just moved from weighing daily and recording every time the weight changed downward to weekly.

I found it easier during the last week not to think about the scales and was fairly worried I might of put on weight even though my weekly counts were fine.

What I really liked was the big drop I got on weighing day 3.4lbs for this week :)

Much more satisfying than 3 x 1.1lbs lost which I would of got with my old method.

So I'm sticking to weekly Friday AM weigh in's
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I prefer once a week, on Sunday morning.
    It helps me behave Friday and Saturday when I know the "reckoning" is near. If I weighed Friday I'd probably reason that I could cut loose a little on the weekend since I have all week to make up for going over.
  • marilyngrant18
    marilyngrant18 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the matter. :wink: