Conditioning your lungs to cold air?

Options
Is there such a thing? The temperature has dropped rapidly here in the last 2 weeks. I have gone from running in the mid 90's to the low 50's yesterday. I have been running since March and have yet to run in this colder weather. I am having a hard time, particularly with breathing. I ran 6.5 miles yesterday and it was a struggle. I have had asthma my whole life and unfortunately it is 'cold air triggered.' I am wondering if I continue to run...wont' my lungs adapt to this weather? Is this just wishful thinking?
Anybody out there have the same issue or any advice?

Replies

• spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Steady breathing through the nose, that's what I always do, it sometimes means I have to slow down a bit but the mucus in the nose makes the cold air warmer before it hits your lungs.
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Curious myself about this. My asthema is induced by the cold air too. I have yet to run in the dropping temps. Run with your inhaler, if you have one, that's what I'll be doing.
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    Hi, I asked my doctor about running and asthma and they gave me the advice of taking your reliever inhaler before you start your run, this has helped me to run in colder conditions.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Your profile is blocked so I don't know if you "qualify" for the local senior center fitness program or not. Local area senior centers usually have a treadmill or two that would permit you to run indoors as an alternative. Another option is to join the local Ymca/ywca.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just run. Your body will acclimate.
  • trentonfraley
    Options
    A breathing barrier is recommended. Such as a mask. It warms the air as it comes in. I have the same issue. Might look like a ninja running around but it works.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you're referring to the burning sensation you get in your lungs when running in cold weather, you will get used to it and it should go away after a few runs.
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A breathing barrier is recommended. Such as a mask. It warms the air as it comes in. I have the same issue. Might look like a ninja running around but it works.

Awesome! I gotta get one of these!!:bigsmile:
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am thinking maybe a 'gator' to pull up around my mouth and nose! I never thought about that! I wish it was 'just' a burning sensation in my lungs, but for me its a very tight feeling and slight wheezing. I am off again today to try again!

Thanks guys!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I tested for my Black Belt some years ago, we had to meet some basic physical requirements before the actual self-defense portion of the test. One of the things we had to do was run 3 miles. It was in December, and on test day it was 15 degrees out. I carried a bandanna to put on my mouth when the need arose. After 2 miles or so, I had warmed up enough that I really didn't need it. Of course, the nostrils still stuck together occasionally...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just run. Your body will acclimate.

That seems like an irresponsible thing to say to someone with cold-air-triggered asthma. Do you have any knowledge to back this up?
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There are two issues being discussed here. 1. Will you have an asthma attack from the cold air? 2. Will your body/lungs adjust to the cold air? To answer both, maybe. If you are having tightness in your chest (due to asthma) during your runs, make sure you take your inhaler 30 min before you run AND take it with you on your run in case you have to take it again. And when I say take your inhaler, Im referrring to your emergency inhaler (probably albuterol) and not your maintenance inhaler. Will you have less issues as you continue to run in the cold? You might. I did. My lungs got stronger and I hardly ever use my inhalers anymore. But that doesn't mean it will happen for you. Talk to you doctor about this and see what he/she has to say. They know your medical history better than I do. And good luck!!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    There are two issues being discussed here. 1. Will you have an asthma attack from the cold air? 2. Will your body/lungs adjust to the cold air? To answer both, maybe. If you are having tightness in your chest (due to asthma) during your runs, make sure you take your inhaler 30 min before you run AND take it with you on your run in case you have to take it again. And when I say take your inhaler, Im referrring to your emergency inhaler (probably albuterol) and not your maintenance inhaler. Will you have less issues as you continue to run in the cold? You might. I did. My lungs got stronger and I hardly ever use my inhalers anymore. But that doesn't mean it will happen for you. Talk to you doctor about this and see what he/she has to say. They know your medical history better than I do. And good luck!!

Awesome advice with the inhaler and yes, it is albuterol. I have not had a full blown asthma attack in years, so I am not worried about that. My biggest concern is bronchitis and I are good friends in the winter and sometimes we invite pneumonia to the party! (And that is without running) I would be so excited if my lungs are strong enough that I don't get that sick this year! I am totally going to use my inhaler before my run today and will let you know!

Thanks!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think the breathing barrier that someone said is a great idea! It would warm up the air before it comes to your mouth! I would DEFINITELY carrier my inhaler if I were you! You will figure out what works best for you the more you run in cold weather. However, If you find you genuinely cannot breathe no matter what then STOP!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My asthma was always the opposite of most people. The hot, muggy 100 degree summer weather always triggered mine. I could go open the freezer door and take a few breaths and it would go away. My lungs never feel better than when I am out in the cold weather. I am one of the rare people in this situation, I guess.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked, and received some great information. I haven't had an asthma attack in years, and before they were always allergy related, but when I ran two days ago, it was in the 50s, and I started wheezing afterwards. I've got another run tomorrow, which promises to be cold again, so will really focus on breathing through my nose. (I've never had an inhaler, so that's out.)