Daily Carbohydrate Intake Level

2»

Replies

• samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    That is entirely based upon your body. My body HATES carbs. They're like glue to my tummy. I have to maintain a 50/30/20 diet, with protein being the main part. My wife on the other hand, can eat a pound of spaghetti and still lose weight. It's annoying. I miss french bread sometimes. Haha.

same here my body wouldnt gain muscle or lose fat til i started cutting carbs to below 100g ... and now at below 50g net carbs. but i also found out im gluten intolerant so that may have had something to do with it... i think you just have to experiment and see what works for YOU because I tried everythingggg and finally found this that worked for me -- cutting grains out at least wheat, carbs below 50g net, and protein above 100g. but i will take in some extra carbs before/after workouts that i dont really count toward the 50.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Some people are more intolerant to simple processed carbs.

It's to each his own. That is why there are so many different eating plans out there. I had problems with portion sizes on simple carbs. I fine that I had huge cravings for more I had huge crashes afterwards. Now that I've switched to whole grains I feel satisfied with a normal portion size and I don't have the crashes or cravings afterwards. I was told I had all the markers for diabetes and I said right then what's right for this and I started low carb. I have worked my way up from 20 net carbs to over 130 and still losing. I do have occasional 'off" days but I have learned moderation and get right back on track. Which really is the key to any plan...moderation and portion control. If low carb taught me that then it did it's job.

Just eat healthy real foods.

I want one person to tell how refined simple processed carbs are good for you. I keep seeing questions referring to how they are worse or bad for you but no one will give me benefits of eating them everyday.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member

Atkins (like any diet) only "works" by keeping calories under maintenance.

Makes you wonder why I lost 60 lbs on induction level of Atkins...and I went over my calories every single day and had no formal exercise other than my normal active job. I guess that would suggest your theory doesn't apply to everyone .....because not every plan effects every person the same way. OH and I love your science that brown rice has more nutrients. Thanks for pointing that out. What's wrong with more nutrients?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    That is entirely based upon your body. My body HATES carbs. They're like glue to my tummy. I have to maintain a 50/30/20 diet, with protein being the main part. My wife on the other hand, can eat a pound of spaghetti and still lose weight. It's annoying. I miss french bread sometimes. Haha.

This is true. We are all bioindividually different. My body hates carbs too. I eat around 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs.our

To the OP, you will have to play around with different ratios and find your happy spot for your own body.

Be your own test steak (n=1)
  • So, just wondering.
    If the site tells me to eat 1,500 a day and I do 1,500 a day, does that mean I maintain my weight ceteris paribus? I get a bit confused as to what happens if I eat slightly over or slightly under but keeping it within the range given. This is because I am not sure if the number represents how much I should eat to lose weight or how much I should eat to maintain weight.

In theory, yes, in practice, no.
    Some may say calories are calories, but as you probably know, some are far better for your body than others.
    Routines like 'breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper' have some truth too, and a bearing on how your calorie intake during the day will be used up.
    Obviously you will use up more calories whilst active than asleep, so if your 1500 are burnt before say, 6pm, any further calories you burn during the evening and asleep will lose you weight.
    However, I also agree that you body is unique, and your tolerances for differing foods/ groups require experimentation with through inclusion / exclusion before you find out what suits you best, and that will change during your differing hormonal stages too. Finding your optimum times for eating / exercise and best protein/carb/fat % each month will help you be in control.
    I know it sounds initially complicated, but you should end up with a more simple routine balancing food groups, eating times, exercise etc, paying dividends in the long run.
    Good luck in your health quest.
    Steve