SURREAL?

Options
Happy Friday everyone.

I am sure I am not the only one out there that feels this way, but I have to say it. I began MFP in July, since, I have lost 15 # to date, I am working really hard at it , I am ON A MISSION!

So here is where I am having a problem:
People are noticing, my pants are getting bigger, there are changes going on in my body. I know this, yet I still cant accept that things are changing for the better, it is almost surreal. It just doesnt seem right....It's like the changes I am seeing arent real at all.
That its a good clothes kind of day but i'm the same person looking the same and nothing has changed.

I guess it is really hard to explain but does anyone feel the same way? I'm not discouraged over it, I am continuing on with my mission but somehow it just doesnt seem real.....what is with that?

Replies

• kdseibel
    kdseibel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost about 70lbs in my Sr. year of high school because I refused to go to college fat. Once I hit my goal weight, I literally did not recognize myself as me if I passed by a mirror. In my head, I was still the fat girl, but people saw me as thin and toned and very athletic. Now, 10 years later, I have a lot of weight to lose and I don't see myself as being as fat as I really am. I'm a little delusional about how much weight I gained. Believe me it's better to look smaller and think your bigger than think you are smaller and look bigger :-)

Your brain will catch up with your body eventually. Keep up the great work!
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    No, you are not alone. There are some days when I feel like I am going to wake up and be the same person I was 9 months ago. It scares me actually, but I am just now getting into my comfort zone realizing that all my hard work paid off and 'this' smaller me is really me.

Hang in there and keep up the good work!

:happy:
  • FrayedKnot
    Options
    WARNING - BRAIN DELAY!
    Hi
    You ae doing great.
    Maybe your mind has been so used to being your start weight, you find it difficult to 'see' the changes.
    But they are happening, they are real and they are positives.
    Celebrate the baggy drawers!
    Seeing is believing. Look in the mirror and smile.
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Steve
    PS Feel free to make me a friend.
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    Yes! I've gone on this weight loss journey a few too many times. I want this to be my last. At some point after you dropped so much weight you'll look in the mirror and wonder who the heck is staring back at you. Keep up the good work, accept the compliements, and embrace the new you.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Not alone!!! I have the same issues.

Last night (after a very stressful evening), I couldn't sleep, so I dove into my closet and started trying clothes on. The dresses I had bought for my company Christmas party last year are both too big on me, all my volleyball shorts either fit perfectly or are too big, and a pencil skirt that I haven't worn in 7 years (that I LOVE...and refused to let it go) fits perfectly!

It is hard for me to look at myself in the mirror and not see bulges where there are none. Yet, there it is, some bulges have already left. I still have about 72 lbs to go before I hit my goal, but 28 lbs isn't too bad and very noticeable.
  • moorert
    Options
    Yes, I can relate!

About 13 years ago I tipped the scales at about 260 lbs and over the course of a year or so finally dropped down to 195, where I have been (more or less) ever since (on MFP primarily to maintain). I got to go get new, smaller, and better fitting clothing and suddenly got a lot more attention from the ladies than I did before. At the time I wasn't really sure how to handle it.... when you spend the first 20-something years of your life overweight it almost becomes part of your personality. Even today, looking at pictures of myself taken within the last 10 years I sometimes can't beleive its the same guy. About the only thing I can say is it takes time...maybe a long time.... but don't ever sell yourself short.

BTW Congratulations!
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about. I still see myself as a plus size woman...I still see myself as 'big'...but then why am I fitting into clothes in the juniors dept? Then every once in awhile, I see myself from far away in the mirror and I don't recognize myself...and I am like 'wait, that's me!' It is very surreal. We are the last to see what others already see. Our minds just have to catch up... :)

You are doing awesome and I love having you as my friend...we can do this!!!!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hey friend! :) I just wanted to say I can relate... I honestly still feel like I look the same in the mirror. The only time I feel different is when I see pictures. Even with jeans on today that are 2 sizes smaller than I started out in, I still feel like a fat whale with a million pounds to lose. I wish I had a solution, but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in feeling this way. You are doing amazing though and just keep on going!!! I'm here for you and so glad to have you as a friend!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • murdsmob
    Options
    Hi Corrie!

Bless you - you are doing so well and everyone including your clothes, are telling you so.
    Although you are in denial of the new shaped person you are becoming, don't deny yourself that bit of praise and recognise that all your hard work are paying off. I am finding it a massive confidence boost. Although I have only lost 13lbs, it seemed to all come off the first week and has slowed down a bit this week. To everyone else, it is noticeable as it has come off my face, neck and shoulders first and they are the parts not hidden by clothes. I was out shopping the other day and I could feel my jeans slipping further off my waist and had to keep doing the unladylike thing of pulling them back up as I walk! (not an attractive sight!) and my daughters also commented too which was a shock as I never thought they really noticed me much (lol)

Keep up the good work and well done for inventing the 15 week challenge. That was about the time goal I gave myself so having fun trying to achieve my goals in the time frame.

Enjoy becoming the new you and keep up the good work!

For now......
    Dionne x
    11738847.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools