Help me make Pumpkin Seeds!

Options
Krizzle4Rizzle
Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
Can someone tell me how to make pumpkin seeds? Never made them before and since we are carving pumpkins tonight I thought I would give it a whirl. I did google some but MFPers give the best advice!

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You can just dry them or roast them:
    Drying and roasting pumpkin seeds are two different processes. To dry- carefully wash pumpkin seeds to remove the clinging fibrous pumpkin tissue. Pumpkin seeds can be dried in the sun, in a dehydrator at 115 to 120 degrees F for 1 to 2 hours, or in an oven on warm for 3 to 4 hours. Stir them frequently to avoid scorching.

To roast, take dried pumpkin seeds and toss with oil and or salt and roast in a preheated oven at 250 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My mom would roast them dry. Make sure you wash them really well after you get them out of the pumpkins. And sprinkle with salt after they're out of the oven.

Not sure about the temp but it shouldn't matter. Just keep stirring and testing them. You don't want them to burn but you don't want them chewy either.
  • GregT44
    GregT44 Posts: 28
    Options
    I tried this one this year and it's the best one I've tried so far....
    Alton Brown from Food network.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/roasting-pumpkin-seeds-with-alton/video/index.html
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We roast ours in oven at 325. I lightly coat them in olive oil (it really doesn't take much) and then season them with salt and other spices like garlic or curry and even chili powder (my hubby likes spicy ones). The key is low temp and stir often. Hope this helps! Enjoy!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I think I am definitly gonna roast them! Probably gonna coat them with olive oil and sea salt. And maybe add some cajun spice to some of them since my bf enjoys the spicy ones!
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I soak the seeds in heavily salted water, then roast in the oven w/ olive oil and garlic powder.
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Love this tradition! Every year my kids, my husband, and I carve Jack-O-Lanterns and make the pumpkin seeds! We just rinse them and lay them out til they are dry. Mix all of them with only about a Tablespoon of oil (It doesn't take much for the seasoning to stick), and then Tony Chachere Cajun Seasoning! In the oven at 350 til they are crunchy! Stir them a couple times... but it takes about 20 minutes!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    scoop them out,wash them off and throw them in a oven for half a hr then take out and throw rock salt on them...DONE!
    yummy!
  • reneeinuk
    Options
    Preparing homemade pumpkin seeds is one of my very favourite things about this time of year!

Preheat oven to 300F/150C

Clean off some, but not all, of the pulp and juice from the pumpkin (leave some on for extra flavour - TRUST ME!) and spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper (and other spices to taste - I may try cumin this year!).

Bake in a preheated over for about 20 minutes, be sure to stir them every so often to prevent them from sticking to the pan, and TADA!!! You may find they need more/less time - just be sure to check on them when you stir.

ENJOY!:happy: