I am a new member

Options
Hi my name is Becky I am new to my fitness pal, so if any of you have any suggestions for me on sucessful weight loss let me know. My journey will be long and hard but I'm excited to start seeing some results from all my hard work!!!!

Replies

• AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Welcome.. Just follow MFP and log your calories. It works brilliantly!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hiya, welcome! It's a great place, everyone is really supportive and it's free! I'd just add friends, look at their diaries, increase your exercise - search the forums and post where you need advice, you'll do great :-)
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've been on for 4 months with great success when I've tried and failed more times than I can count on other attempts to get healthy. This is a great site. Feel free to add me as a friend for support.

This is what has worked for me so far:
    1. Plan your meals ahead so you have a plan for staying on track
    2. Log everything even if you mess up
    3. The hardest part of exercising is putting on your shoes-once you do that, you'll get moving
    4. Keep repeating to yourself "this is not a diet, this is just the way I live now-healthy
    5. If you mess up, forgive yourself, learn from it, and move on
    6. Don't stress about the scale. It doesn't go straight down, some weeks you lose a lot, some a little, some you lose none, some you gain a little, but it all works out in the average.
    7. Find recipes that you love that are healthier, try lots of new things so you don't get bored.

Good luck!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi , The best one I've heard is to Never give up , it's alway's a new day to make better choices, if you ever slip up..... Best of luck to you.
  • bigunme
    bigunme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm new and must say that I'm very impressed with a free app, which is available via web and phone.
    Personally I need to lose quite a bit, but plan to take it pound by pound ... stay up! :glasses:
  • AnnmarieSimmons
    AnnmarieSimmons Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been on for 4 months with great success when I've tried and failed more times than I can count on other attempts to get healthy. This is a great site. Feel free to add me as a friend for support.

This is what has worked for me so far:
    1. Plan your meals ahead so you have a plan for staying on track
    2. Log everything even if you mess up
    3. The hardest part of exercising is putting on your shoes-once you do that, you'll get moving
    4. Keep repeating to yourself "this is not a diet, this is just the way I live now-healthy
    5. If you mess up, forgive yourself, learn from it, and move on
    6. Don't stress about the scale. It doesn't go straight down, some weeks you lose a lot, some a little, some you lose none, some you gain a little, but it all works out in the average.
    7. Find recipes that you love that are healthier, try lots of new things so you don't get bored.

Good luck!

Very good advice mleoni092708
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Remember, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Take each day at a time and you will succeed! Feel free to friend me. :)
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    welcome

this site is amazing
    feel free to add me:)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I like mleoni's advice above. In addition, let me say that the hardest part of the healthy lifestyle journey is often the mental side of it. complacency, doubt, frustration, half-assed-ness, etc., can all impede your progress or throw you off the journey. Its important to do some "training" for the mental part of this journey as well as the physical part. I recommend that you read my will power blog below and take some time to do that exercise.

Good luck to you.
  • ambrosdm
    ambrosdm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome to "myfitnesspal", you've taken the first step! My best advice for using this site is to use the food database and really keep track of EVERYTHING you eat. Exercise regularly if you can, but be aware that (in my opinion), the calculated calories burned is higher than the actual calories burned. Exercising buys you more calories to eat, but DO NOT EAT them all or your weight loss will slow or stall. I often exercise and then won't note it in my log, so I'm not tempted to eat the extra calories!
  • bigunme
    bigunme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your advice is on point and truthful .. I've struggled for a while and had some successes (lost as much as 35lbs , but gained
    back slowly overtime) and need a fresh start ...
  • pazla88
    pazla88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP is a great site, one of the best things you can do is use the community section to find friends to help motivate you. Feel free to add me :)