Cheese- Friend or Foe? Protien or Fat? Vote now!

Options
So I had cut out cheese altogether for a while, thinking the extra cals might be weighing me down. However, I was reading a blog done by a nutritionist, and she recommended cheese and cheese sticks as a way to get calcium and protien.
I mean it tastes good, but isn't it mostly fat?

Replies

• gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    So I had cut out cheese altogether for a while, thinking the extra cals might be weighing me down. However, I was reading a blog done by a nutritionist, and she recommended cheese and cheese sticks as a way to get calcium and protien.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese is good in moderation.
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Borden's also has fat free american cheese and swiss cheese. They are great and if you do an omlet or grilled cheese, it melts great. Mmmmmmmmm:love: I also like the low fat mozerella string cheese. I have these for a snack some times.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    There are other ways to get calcium and protein. I love cheese but not the calories so I limit how much I eat and have cut it out of a lot of my recipes. If you want to stay away from the fat, don't eat it. Low fat cottage cheese has plenty of protein and calcium and there's always The Laughing Cow!:bigsmile:
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i get low fat cottage cheese as well.. and like to snak on nuts and string cheese... it especially helps curb the appetite when you're on the go and not starving.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. :love: I mostly by the lower fat kind, but it can still be high in calories. The thing is, your body needs fat and cheese IS a good source of protein, not to mention calcium. There's nothing wrong with eating cheese IN MODERATION. I general stick to 1 30g serving a day. Sometimes in the form of cheese and crackers, sometimes as a pasta or salad topping, or in a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. The fat isn't a problem if you're already monitoring your fat intake- lean meats are a staple of most of our diets, that meats our fats are waaaaaaaaaaaay down. Eggs and nuts have bunches of fat in the too but nobody cuts those out! LOVE LIVE CHEESE! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Can you eat cheese in moderation for calcium and protein? Yes.

As for myself, I don't. I'm not so much against dairy as I am against the stuff they do to the dairy before it gets to the grocery store. Did you know that they add chlorine to milk as a preservative? That's not even the beginning of what happens but I'll stop there and just say that dairy isn't essential. It's hard to eat out and make sure that nothing was made with eggs or milk. So I'll have some once in a while ... but I try to have it sparingly.

Calcium is kinda like cholesterol. Your body needs it but you don't have to go out of your way to be sure you're eating it and too much of it can actually weaken your bones. You can get plenty of calcium from chickpeas, carrots, sprouts ... and there's plenty of protein in nuts and soy.

So eat it if you like, just know that it's not essential.
  • denisebee
    denisebee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Friend!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    1 oz of low fat cheddar is only 49 calories. 1 oz is a good serving of cheese and it tastes good
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kerri on this one..Love my cheese:love: not giving it up no ways. I eat the 2% or string cheese.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Calcium is kinda like cholesterol. Your body needs it but you don't have to go out of your way to be sure you're eating it and too much of it can actually weaken your bones. You can get plenty of calcium from chickpeas, carrots, sprouts ... and there's plenty of protein in nuts and soy.

oh I so so so strongly disagree. Calcium is nothing like cholesterol and MOST women do not get enough calcium in their diet. Cholesterol is produced by the body when you do not consume enough of it, calcium is not. I'm not sure where you got that information from. If cheese neccessary to ensure the proper intake of calcium? no, of course not, there are lots of other foods we get calcium from, but it's a good source and it's got lots of other good nutrients in it. If you like cheese, there is NOTHING wrong with eating it. In moderation of course.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I vote-low fat cheese is a friend.
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    mmmm laughing cow that is the best cheese i have put in my mouth in a long time.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    All cheese is good in moderation. There's nothing wrong with fat in your diet. You need it. Some cheese is more fat, less protein. Other cheese is less fat, more protein. It just depends on the type. No food is inherently bad (except trans fat, but that's only found in appreciable amounts in man-made forms).
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    mmmm laughing cow that is the best cheese i have put in my mouth in a long time.

LOVE IT! laughing cow rocks!!

I LOVE cheese, I eat the full fat kind when I want some, in moderation of course, but there is no substitute for good old full fat old white cheddar cheese...YUMMY!!
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    It's fat. With the exception of cottage cheese. There's so much junk in there anyway, with antibiotics and hormones. It's better to get protein from nuts, beans, seeds, natural foods.

It's fine if you eat it. Just know that you're eating junk food when you do, don't fool yourself. Just like chewy chocolate chip granola bars. Sure, they're yummy, but they're also junk.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    It's fat. With the exception of cottage cheese. There's so much junk in there anyway, with antibiotics and hormones. It's better to get protein from nuts, beans, seeds, natural foods.

It's fine if you eat it. Just know that you're eating junk food when you do, don't fool yourself. Just like chewy chocolate chip granola bars. Sure, they're yummy, but they're also junk.

You're going to get hormones in any animal product, added or not. What do you think regulates cell activity? You can get cheese without antibiotics, etc., although all they do is prevent bacterial growth. Cottage cheese comes in full and reduced fat versions just like other cheese. The only difference in cottage cheese is that they whey hasn't been removed. Cheese is more nutritive than a chewy granola bar as it has the full spectrum of amino acids and vitamin B12 which can only be obtained from animal products. It's really not comparable to cookies and such.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options

Did you really just say that?

Calcium "you don't have to go out of your way to be sure you're eating it and too much of it can actually weaken yur bones." ???????

Please tell me your source of this information. I'd like to read it somewhere other than in that post..:noway:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    :love: Cheese is my friend.:love:
    I love it.
    :flowerforyou:
    It gives me calcium.
    It fills me up.
    It's yummy.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Did you really just say that?

Calcium "you don't have to go out of your way to be sure you're eating it and too much of it can actually weaken yur bones." ???????

Please tell me your source of this information. I'd like to read it somewhere other than in that post..:noway:

It seems like they've confused it with something else. Calcium absolutely is essential, not just for bone health, but proper muscle function. It's used in contractions for both striated and smooth muscle. So, no calcium = no heart beat.

Yes, it's essential. :huh: