Lose weight faster if I don't eat my calories back

Options
Just wondering, will I lose weight faster if I don't eat all my calories back? I went for a six mile run and that coupled with my allotment seems like an awful lot of food.
All viewpoints welcome.
:)
Monika

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? It'll depend on YOUR body.

For me, not eating them results in a weight GAIN - so I always eat them. Perhaps not every last one if I am a little unsure of the actual burn (I don't have a HRM nor will I spend the $ on one, the machines at my gym have Polar HRM's built into them and if I put in ALL my information and track my heart rate with it -- I'm betting it is pretty close to accurate) - like strength training - then I won't eat them all.

Do what works for you.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yes. But remember that sustainable changes to eating habits are more important in the long run than rapid weight loss.
  • celewis2011
    celewis2011 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do not eat them back , I make sure I get around 1500 calories a day. I have lost 15 pounds in a month not sure if its just cause I am 300 pounds and able to loss like that or if it has to do with working out 2 hrs a day and eating 1500 calories a day. I would love to see what others say about this.
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can't eat my calories back. You will have to find what works for you. Good Luck on your journey!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    But is it really a race?

I prefer slow, easy weight loss.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Probably not, because you only have 35 pounds to lose. You'll just make your deficit too big and your body will hold onto fat because it thinks you don't have sufficient food available to keep you alive.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Eat half of it back, if you're getting your amount of calories burned off of here, be warned it usually exagerates by 200-300cals per hour of working out, it said I burned 1250 cals on here when it was only 754 with my HRM watch/strap. So first make you know exactly how many calories you're burning.
    After that eat either just half of it or save some the rest for a nice dinner out on weekend- a treast for yourself. Plus this will "shock your body" and you will keep loosing.
    If you don't eat them back at all, at first you will loose lots of weight -I did this till I started plateauing, it slowed down it in just 2 weeks, so than I started eating some of them back it picked back up really fast and I started loosing over 2lbs a week.
    At first if you have a lot of weight to loose it's okay, but eventually your body will get worn out. It all varies individual to individual but I recommend either eating some and save rest for weekend, or eat all but 100 of it.
    Good luck with your journey!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I usually ate my calories back unless I was totally not hungry at all. Sometimes you will burn a lot and it's almost like eating an extra meal. If I wasn't hungry, I didn't force myself to eat. It all seemed to work out. I actually went last month without tracking on MFP and was able to keep within 3 pounds of my maintenance weight. Eventually you can go by what feels right.
    You will get an idea of what is right for you pretty quickly. You can experiment and see how your own body reacts. It's like a self-discovery of nutrition.
  • monikamojica
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the inspiration and sage advice. I am still trying to figure out my body and what works for it. Take care all.
    :heart: