Treadmill or elliptical ...

Options
hi
I have an elliptical trainer at home n I hav used it 2-3 times this year
I usually go to gym or do exercise vids
The reason is I do t feel that engaged when I am doing elliptical
My qs is should I get rid of it or buy treadmill instead
In the gym Iove running on treadmill
My reason to ask this qs is bcoz if elliptical burns more thn treadill than I should put my mind more into it n not waste money on treadmill
Which one do u think gives much better results ?

Replies

• sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Gotta say...LOVE my treadmill!

Invest in a good one though!
  • beckybernardo
    beckybernardo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and use the nustep crosstrainer, and use my elliptical here at home. Even if it is only a few minutes a day, I figure that it is at least someting. I does seem to burn a lot more calories then the treadmill.
  • atcsjen
    atcsjen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home that is collecting dust because it hurts my knees too much. But I can spend 30 min on the elliptical at work, as long as my nook as a good book on it!
  • butterflimom
    Options
    elliptical :)
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters. Either way, you're going to burn calories. What works best for you is the real question
  • heleflump
    Options
    I'm no expert - but I was always told that the eliptical trainer is better (1) Better all round exercise machine (does arms, legs and bum) (2) no real impact on joints - so less damaging (3) you can do more with in in terms of adjusting resistance etc.

But having said that - we are all likely to do what we love so - if the treadmill os what gets you exercising then maybe that is the way to go - I like treadmills for power walking on - but don;t like to run because of impact on joints etc (I think I am getting to the age where that kindof thing worries me - especially as I took no notice when I was in my teens and twenties and as a result parts start to ache/hurt more now!!!

Good luck !
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    To me. treadmill is the best for overall weight loss. Not sure why, I just feel like I am getting the best range of motion.. and my body is moving more naturally. However, the elliptical is awesome for weight loss-- "Buns" definition, etc. If it was me.. and you have the option of both.. I would just keep doing both. It is great to switch up your routine. Also, elliptical is so much easier on the knees-- and while that may not be an issue for you today-- it could be at various times--so, nice to have that elliptical. Good Question.. and now it makes me want to go dust mine off :)
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical. The treadmill really hurts my feet and knees. I guess if you have one at home and the option to use the other at a gym. I personally would not invest in a new machine
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight on an elliptical when I was going to the gym. I have recently just bought one for my house! Best money ever spent!!! Just my opinion though! :happy:

Barb
  • dkueter94
    Options
    It's all about what you'd rather do. I HATE running and am not very good at being faithful about it. Its hard for me to want to do it on a treadmill when its so boring. Even with a tv on, its hard for me to get my attention passed hating the running. I don't mind getting a good walk on them while watching tv, but I much prefer the elliptical. I enjoy getting a good 30 minute workout on the weight loss setting on one. But I think you can burn more calories running on a treadmill then you can on an elliptical for the same amount of time....its just all about what you'd rather do.
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I personally love my elliptical!! It provides a good workout and Im sweating in less than 10 minutes. The key for me was to position it in fronf of the tv. I watch something fun like two and half men or my wife and kids. Your good for a 20 minutes work out. I also put a picture of a fit person over the timer so that I am not watching the clock. I dont do it every day because it can get boring, I alternate days with workout dvd's. Id say give it a good go before you trade it in because you might reqret it.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have both at home since we don't have any place around here to workout. Love them both. I think the secret is to have something to keep your mind off what you're doing. I find watching a good game on the TV or a workout video (seems like I'm not working out alone then) keeps my attention away from the time on the machine. I agree with Sunnyrunner though, if your getting a treadmill invest in a good one. Check out the warranties because repairs can almost cost as much as the price of a cheap machine .
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have a tredmill at home and I barely use it.. When we first got it we lived in a apartment on the top floor so my excuse for not using it was b/c I was being cautious of the people below us.. LOL.. But now that we've bought our house it sits in our garge.. I kinda wish we would have bought an elliptical but oh well.. I guess I need to dust off the treadmill and put it to use again..
  • Annbellfield
    Options
    I built a conservatory and put a little gym in it, it has a treadmill, ellipitcal and an Abs bench and I mix and match them or sometimes do all three. I can only agree with what some others have suggested, exercise with what you enjoy and feel like, if you repeatedly force yourself into something you don't like you wont do anything. I find the elliptical harder going than the treadmill and use it less but when I was heavier running hurt my back and knees. Each to their own so just go with what you like and put some good ears on, the right music really changed the way I exercise and I think I'm addicted to it now..
  • donaldluv
    donaldluv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have both . I do the elliptical for 20 minutes with Jillian on my Ifit card . Then i do my treadmill for 30 minutes . I am not a runner . The fastest i go on the treadmill is 4.0. I put on my headphones with my favorite music. The elliptical does burn more calories but i like to do both.
  • KingBarri
    Options
    I say it depends on your fitness goals.

If your looking to simply lose weight I would probably recommend an elliptical as long as you stay motivated. You not only use your lower body but your upper body as well. Also if you have knee problems then this is automatically a better alternative. The problem with an elliptical is that it is real easy to cheat and give credit for a workout you didn't give full effort in.

The treadmill you will still lose weight but theoretically not as much as the elliptical. If you are training for endurance (ie. like to run a marathon) then a treadmill will be the best option. Though as I and others have mentioned, the impact on your knees willl be greater on a treadmill.

So I say it depends, also if your gonna by either or, make sure to invest in a good model.
  • 1toInfinity
    1toInfinity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical at home. I have had it since early March and used it a few times a week till i found out I was pregnant and I havent' really used it since. But I have a love/hate relationship with it. I get a great workout but I always dread doing the workout. I hope I will get a treadmil one day...
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have an elliptical at home. As such, I have a treadmill. BARELY use it. Hurts my knees and I run so that I can burn more in 20 minutes to get off. At the gym, I ALWAYS use the elliptical. I'll even wait for one to be free. I'll do 45-55 minutes on it with ease and burn 5 or 600 calories just doing that. Love to listen to music and read on it (though it's hard to focus if I am going at it hard.)
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and I LOVE my treadmill. Just moved it to the garage because I needed the space in the house. I was worried that it would be too inconvenient in the garage, but I actually use it more now. I didn't like running in the heated house during winter, so I'm looking forward to running "in the elements" without actually being in them. My garage is not heated. I use the elliptical at the gym on occasion and I like it, but wouldn't trade my treadmill for one. If I had the space, I would own both.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    What brand of elliptical is best?