Mini NSV (Obsession with Food)

Options
mstemen
mstemen Posts: 111 Member
So I was driving to class last night and I began to think about my next work out and what I should try working on the most. I was thinking that I should start off on the elliptical for about 15 minutes and then head over to the treadmill for another 15 minutes. (I'm training for my first 5k run sometime in Jan or Feb) (I was able to run a half mile the other day but want to see if I can push myself a mile next week) and then I should work on my arms. Then I drove past a Carl's Jr and thought...Hmmm usually about now I'd be thinking about getting a hamburger because my excuse for getting one would be that I worked all day, now I have to go to class and haven't had a chance to make dinner. Then I thought about that again...I'm not thinking about food! I would usually obsess over food but I realized last night that I no longer do. It's a small NSV for me but a HUGE step in my journey!

Just thought I would share that with anyone else who's struggling with food addiction. It gets so much easier and you won't even realize your thought process has changed. Hang in there!

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I totally relate and love that feeling!!!! It's a BIG mini NSV I think!
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am so addited to food & sure wish that I can say no. If someone offers me something to eat, even if I am not hungry, why is it hard to say NO THANK YOU! oh may I have gluttony issues, I love to work out, but the eating is out of control for me :explode:
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    Good for you! I found that I am doing the same thing. On my way home I am thinking about adding more minutes/speed to my workout and actually excited about it, in the past i would have been thinking about what was for dinner.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Congrats on that, it's a HUGE thing when you stop thinking like that. I dread not being able to make something for myself now..funny how that works when I used to be the fast food pro..lol
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that's a major NSV! I think many of us here think about food a lot, and think about it for bad reasons. Instead of thinking about what we should eat, we think about what we could eat. Changing the mindset is a major component of winning the battle. You're doing great!!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    So I was driving to class last night and I began to think about my next work out and what I should try working on the most. I was thinking that I should start off on the elliptical for about 15 minutes and then head over to the treadmill for another 15 minutes. (I'm training for my first 5k run sometime in Jan or Feb) (I was able to run a half mile the other day but want to see if I can push myself a mile next week) and then I should work on my arms. Then I drove past a Carl's Jr and thought...Hmmm usually about now I'd be thinking about getting a hamburger because my excuse for getting one would be that I worked all day, now I have to go to class and haven't had a chance to make dinner. Then I thought about that again...I'm not thinking about food! I would usually obsess over food but I realized last night that I no longer do. It's a small NSV for me but a HUGE step in my journey!

Just thought I would share that with anyone else who's struggling with food addiction. It gets so much easier and you won't even realize your thought process has changed. Hang in there!

My problem is being obsessed with food, what goes in & exactly how i balance it out by burning more. i'm in recovery from an eating disorder so this is not good. lately though, i've found myself simply making better choices and not obsessing. i even put away the scale and my challenge that stands for every week is to not take it out until it's time to weight in on fridays. i know this is a big nsv for me and the changes that you described in your thinking does not make for a mini NSV. it's a big one!!! congratulations. Keep it up! you can do it :flowerforyou:
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! It is a big step and a huge accomplishment. I used to eat fast food at least two times a week but I don't even remember the last time I went through a drive through (at least ordered anything anyways) My husband loves to buy frozen dinners and boxed meals at the grocery store because they're quick and easy but I told him NO MORE! Out goes the hamburger helper and frozen burritos and in comes the fresh fruits, veggies and whole grains.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That's a huge accomplishment! I was also obsessed with food and still struggle from time to time but nothing like before. So great to have that moment of clarity.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!