how much could be muscle?

I've been steady losing a pound and a half- 2lbs every week, with exeption to period weight which comes off the week after, for the past 3 months with no exercise beyond my norml at work movement. I have not gone over my calories even once this week but have been exercising with aerobics for the past 5 days, had sore muscles for atleast 3 days from it. And now I've gained 2 pounds? At my size does this seem like it could be all muscle weight? That sounds far too high to me. I started exercise to lose more.. .It's quite depressing to weigh in and be back at zero now :( It's not dehydration or period weight.. This I know for sure...

Replies

• Your muscles could be a bit swollen and retaining water. It'll go down once your body becomes more accustomed to it :) Just make sure to stay hydrated!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    There hasn't been enough time to gain that much muscle. Most people gain weight when they first start a new workout. Give it a couple weeks before you will start seeing actual weight loss. This is normal.

And the weight gain isnt fat, its water weight from your muscles trying to repair itself
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Expect fewer than 3 lbs. muscle gain in a whole year. It's water.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    2 pounds seems like a lot for muscle weight, but I guess it's possible. Do you track sodium? Because I know that sometimes, even if everything else is the same (drinking lots of H20, not my TOM, etc) and I consume lots of sodium, I will see the scale go up. Way up. Sodium is the devil (but it's sooooo good!).

Just a thought. Not sure if I'm right.
  • Your muscles could be a bit swollen and retaining water. It'll go down once your body becomes more accustomed to it :)

I agree that it's most likely water weight. Don't let it put you off exercising, though. It will help you lose weight over the long run.
    Keep up the good work! :smile:
  • nannavoss
    nannavoss Posts: 3 Member
    I have seen this often. Drink alot of water to flush your body of additional fluid from the exercising. Keep it up and it will drop in a week or so.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Use a tape measure!!! It will show losses when the scale doesn't!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I've been steady losing a pound and a half- 2lbs every week, with exeption to period weight which comes off the week after, for the past 3 months with no exercise beyond my norml at work movement. I have not gone over my calories even once this week but have been exercising with aerobics for the past 5 days, had sore muscles for atleast 3 days from it. And now I've gained 2 pounds? At my size does this seem like it could be all muscle weight? That sounds far too high to me. I started exercise to lose more.. .It's quite depressing to weigh in and be back at zero now :( It's not dehydration or period weight.. This I know for sure...

None of it would be muscle weight - your muscles are holding water to repair and heal your muscles from your new work outs. Keep increasing your intensity, and you can expect to see the pounds go up and stay on for a few weeks, but it will suddenly all go away. It is worth it in the long run and I suggest you do it.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Just standard weight fluctuation probably from water retention. There's no way you've gained two pounds of muscle in that period of time. It's just not possible. When I start working out I stop weighing myself for a bit because it can be infuriating.

Here's a great article from Lyle McDonald where he talks about women, weight and water retention:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adjusting-the-diet.html
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    As the others have said, it is water retention.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Wait, what is period weight?
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    A lot of people have already mentioned that the weight gain is probably from water. I can tell you that close to 0 of it is from muscle gain.

Depending on how fit you are, you probably aren't going to gain any muscle from doing aerobics. You could gain a little muscle in places you don't use in your day to day, but other than that, you'll probably be losing more muscle than you gain.

Incorporate a little weight training to help add/keep muscle.

Hope this helps.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Wait, what is period weight?
    lol Well I call the few days before my period period weight for I apparantly retain alot of water that week and lose it all as soon as period is over...

Thanks everyone.. I shall try an avoid the scale for the next week and attempt to remind myself that the exercise is helping even if deceptively appears it isn't