Am I emotionally ready to begin a diet?

Options
There are a lot of things going on right now and I feel like I won't be able to make a real commitment to eating right until Sunday. Sunday my husband can be home with me to monitor that I am not cheating secretly, like I have been in the past. I'm very hopeful, but this is so tough. Doctor's don't realize how much effort it takes to break a life time habit. Every day is a struggle and today I already failed..... what can I do instead of medicating myself with food? Any suggestions?

Replies

• MommyWilson
    Options
    There are a lot of things going on right now and I feel like I won't be able to make a real commitment to eating right until Sunday. Sunday my husband can be home with me to monitor that I am not cheating secretly, like I have been in the past. I'm very hopeful, but this is so tough. Doctor's don't realize how much effort it takes to break a life time habit. Every day is a struggle and today I already failed..... what can I do instead of medicating myself with food? Any suggestions?
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You have to make up your mind and as Nike says...Just do it!

Hold yourself accountable.

You can do it! :drinker:
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Mommy Wilson! I have been there done that...but believe me when I say counting on your husband to keep you from cheating is not a good idea. You have to develop your own habbits. And for me, I didn't start with NOT eating this bad thing or that bad thing...but I started with eating something that was good for me. If you get enough of the good stuff in, eventually there will not be room for the bad stuff.

Maybe you can start with increasing your water intake and adding some fresh fruit to your diet in the mornings. And add some lemon to your water. Good Luck and let me know if you need anything...

Jessica
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Everybody has days where they cheat, I know I do...but the key is to not let it get you down. Tomarrow is another day! Just stay positive! I just try to stay VERY busy and that tends to keep my mind off food. This is my second time around for MFP. The first time I lost around 20 pounds and then I got sick and it through me off. Now a year later I am starting over... Just take one day at a time!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I medicate with exercise...much better option than food...music and exercise!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Reach inside! Why would you give the power that YOU hold to your husband? What if he DIDN'T come home? You'd never find the willpower?

You can do this. Reach in there and find that strong woman! Talk to her! Tell her you know she's listening.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

First congratulations on deciding to start! That's the first step! Second... this is not a diet... it's a lifestyle change. Diet's have a beginning and an ending... if you choose to eat right and live a healthier life - it's forever. And because it's a lifestyle - YOU are in charge. There is no "cheating" - there are "decisions" - some will be good, others will be bad. If you need a few days to gear up, that's ok - wait a few days.

BUT - you be responsible for YOU. Asking your husband to monitor you (even if it's just in your mind) is not a good idea. The first time he asks you why you're eating this or that, or if you exercised today or says anything remotely stupid that can be slightly interpreted as judgemental you're going to be upset and go find the nearest piece of chocolate cake. Ummm... yeah, been there a time or two!

INSTEAD, maybe start with adding one or two healthy things to your routine. I cannot tell you how important drinking water is. Maybe for today and tomorrow you can focus on drinking 8 cups of water each day. Maybe you can take a 10 minute walk. 10 minutes... not 20.. not 30... just 10. If 10 is too much - take a 5 minute walk. Congratulate yourself for each and every "good" decision you make. Life is about choices.... and if you're like me - for years, you've been making the wrong ones.

I celebrate every time I have a piece of fruit instead of chips. I celebrate everytime I finish a bottle of water. I celebrate every time I get on the treadmill. Each good "decision" gets me a step closer to my long term goals.

Set small goals and work towards them. You can do this!