Upcoming holidays and the food we love

Options
So the dreaded holidays are upon us...the Halloween candy t aunting us as you enter every store. Thanksgiving cookies, cakes and pies, creeping around the corner after the turkey clubs us over the head and the rolls invade our bodies. Then finally the festive green and white holiday of treats at work, in stores, parties, etc.

What are your plans for dealing with the holidays and the calories that are contained in them?

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my cheat day!!! i havent had a cheat day since i started...

I will watch what i eat but i will have everything offered...

PS though... in the morning, i will be doing 2 hours of INSANITY!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I plan on drastically increasing my exercise and limit my portions on the bad food. Since I will be the one cooking and baking everything, I am going to cook healthier variations of the dishes that I can. But, quite honestly, for Thanksgiving dinner, I am not going to concern myself too much about it eating. I feel like it's one day and it's not going to be the end of the world. With the treats at work, I am just going to have to avoid the breakroom at all costs! :laugh: :sad: :laugh:
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat whatever I want on Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc... but stay away from holiday foods the rest of the time!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do everything in moderation...I actually had 3 mini chocolates last night..I had extra calories...This way I dont binge..I make sure I also work out to get to be able to eat more...I will not deny myself..especially at family gatherings. Also for the days up to the holiday and coming out of it..you can always switch to maintenance...so that way you dont gain weight..
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My plan, such as it is, is to just ignore them! I live in the country, I don't get trick or treaters so I don't buy candy. Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be much more difficult though. My plan is to just do my best and deal with whatever happens in January. 2012 is another year :drinker:
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I plan on pre-entering my food as much as possible, so that I already know what I can (and can't!) have at the many lunches, dinners, and parties we always go to. Luckily everyone normally serves the same things every year, so I should know what's lurking :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I let myself cheat on Halloween and Thanksgiving day itself...and for the week of Christmas. That's it.
  • dkmclean
    dkmclean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The holidays aren't special because of the foods that are prepared. Why change anything? Stay on your plan, enter your calories/workouts and stay the course. Why eat candy or pies or any other "holiday" food just because everyone else does? Make good choices and you won't have to pay for it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I will cut myself some slack for holiday dinners. I will eat better than I have in the past, but I am not going to make myself miserable either.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i plan on letting myself relax. i also plan on working out like an insane person.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't ever look at a holiday to binge or gorge ourselves on food. We eat traditional tgiving and xmas dinners - but don't over do it and we cook everything ourselves so we know it's healthy. I'll eat whatever I want, in moderation. If I go somewhere and there is something I want to eat, I'll have it - I just make sure I have the calores left for it - or workout extra that morning in preparation.
  • brendacooks
    brendacooks Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian - we celebrated Thanksgiving at the beginning of October. On the day of the "feast" I saved calories by eating lightly, lots of veggies, through the day and then at dinner I had small portions of my favorites and didn't eat the ordinary stuff. I also made sure I had a good exercise day. My attitude is that these changes I am making are for life - it's not a diet, I'm not being good, It's just my life - so there has to be room for celebration and enjoying food with loved ones and friends - which doesn't have to mean stuffing my face till I can't move!!! I felt very proud of myself when it was all over. I did exceed my calories that day - but is wasn't a total disaster. I didn't feel deprived. I was full - not stuffed. I had small amounts of everything I wanted - including pumpkin pie and whipped cream! I probably ate half of what I did last year at Thanksgiving - and it felt GREAT! You can enjoy life and make healthy choices. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. By the way, I lost .6lbs that week.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Plan, plan and plan some more! For the holidays, "remake" your favorite recipes and pre-log the amounts so you know how many calories you need to burn to enjoy them! Everything in moderation, planned for, then "paid" for with a good work out is my philosophy :) Feeling deprived never leads to anything good.
  • hardenedheartx
    hardenedheartx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What I did last year was make sure I got a good workout in on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve morning, then I just ate whatever I wanted that night at dinner. I also made sure I was extra good during the week leading up to those days. I managed not to gain any weight those weeks. One day of splurging won't kill you. Just don't splurge on the leftovers....I gave myself just one day to splurge.
  • gigglemachine
    gigglemachine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A lot of the dinners i'll be going to will be on a 'serve yourself' basis with huge plates and bowls filled with food in the centre of the table. I'm going to pile my plate high with vegetables and little portions of everything else yummy. That way i won't feel like i'm depriving myself and no one will comment about the lack of food on my plate. For the desserts, i'll ask for small portions and not overindulge.

I imagine a great motivation would be to make sure you have some calories left at the end of the day by eating carefully or exercising and then reaching your calorie limit with seasonal treats.

I love this time of year! :) I like the idea of switching to maintenance mentioned above.
  • bigdaddycowgill
    bigdaddycowgill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I plan on pre-entering my food as much as possible, so that I already know what I can (and can't!) have at the many lunches, dinners, and parties we always go to. Luckily everyone normally serves the same things every year, so I should know what's lurking :)

That's a great idea & I might do the same. I usually don't have a problem on Halloween, but I love the spread at Thanksgiving, Christmas, & New Years & will probably leave those as cheat days, but nowhere near past years. Gotta have my pumpkin everything & spiked egg nog...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba. Lots and lots of Zumba.