cooking around the world

Options
VeganInTraining
VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
So i hate that my town (and surrounding area) doesn't have many ethnic resteraunts. I am also trying to save money which means a lot more cooking a home. SO I have decided that at least once I week I want to "visit" another country. I will do a little research on the country and then cook something from that country. If there are any customs that the hubby and I can do at home, then we'll do that too.

I'm starting with chicken tikka masala (my FAVORITE Indian Dish)
http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-tikka-masala-25587

What are your favorite dishes from around the world? And if you have it, a little fun fact about the country that it's from

Replies

• foodluver27
    Options
    Vietnamese and Thai food...Mmmmm. We have a restaurant called Chaba Thai and Pho Seasons...it's wonderful! You can get just about anything on the menu and it will be great! The great thing about Chaba Thai is they also grow their own spice garden with peppers and whatnot. The one thing from Vietnamese food I have tried and really can't get into is pho...but my husband loves it!
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I love cooking from new cuisines! This is one my favorites.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/basil_chicken_in_coconut_curry_sauce/

I've made a bobotie before which is like a South African version of meatloaf. Very tasty. I don't have the recipe I used because its in a cookbook, but here are some similar recipes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/best-bobotie/detail.aspx

This is also very good. Its like an Armenian chicken salad using walnuts. So easy too!

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/circassian_chicken/
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Im loving this idea. I have a ton of ethnic places nearby, but if I could learn to make this stuff at home I think the bf would be quite impressed! Ill hafta keep coming back for recipes/find some on my own
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Vietnamese and Thai food...Mmmmm. We have a restaurant called Chaba Thai and Pho Seasons...it's wonderful! You can get just about anything on the menu and it will be great! The great thing about Chaba Thai is they also grow their own spice garden with peppers and whatnot. The one thing from Vietnamese food I have tried and really can't get into is pho...but my husband loves it!

I love pho! Vietnamese and Thai are two of my favorites! The only dish I have mastered is chicken curry with coconut milk YUM! I need to get the steamer to make sticky rice too!

Jovialation check out your library, I realized yesterday that my library has a ton of ethnic cook books. Though, I would still love some more ideas from some people on here!
  • ChatSournois
    Options
    Bump for tomorrow!
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
  • VeganInTraining
    Options

YUM looks good and pretty easy! I like easy!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Daal which i make with red lentils, it is very filling and full of fibre and protein, i could eat it at least a couple of times a week and it is so cheap. Nobody else likes it in my house so it is my special treat.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Daal which i make with red lentils, it is very filling and full of fibre and protein, i could eat it at least a couple of times a week and it is so cheap. Nobody else likes it in my house so it is my special treat.

I make daal all the time too- and usually have it with tuna steaks topped with curry paste. Yuuuum!

My other favorites are:

Beef stifado (Greek beef stew) : http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5398/beef-stifado.aspx

Beef Rendang (Malaysian beef curry): http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefrendang_78767

Lamb Tagine (Moroccan lamb stew) : http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/moroccanlambtagine_6696

Tom Kha Gai (Thai chicken & coconut soup) http://www.instructables.com/id/Tom-Kha-Gai-Thai-Coconut-Soup/

As you can tell, I am a big fan of spicy food and slow cooked stews/curries/ soups etc...

They are all delicious and well worth making :o)
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Korean - kimchee, bulgogi

Thai - all about the panang.

Indian - Tikka masala or lamb vindalo!

slightly healthier version of bulgogi recipe for anyone that wants to give it a shot - grilling on charcoal is best for bigger flavor.
    Ingredients:

1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons of raw honey (or something sweet like sugar, regular honey, fruit sweet)
    2 tablespoons dry white wine or saki or vodka (optional)
    3-4 large garlic cloves crushed
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    2 teaspoons of sesame seeds (toasted)
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (optional)
    1 teaspoon of black pepper
    One 2.5 pound beef flank steak or skirt steak, cut across the grain into twenty 1/4 inch thick slices
    2-3 scallions sliced on the angle

Directions

1. In a large, shallow dish, combine the soy sauce with the honey, white wine, chopped garlic, toasted sesame oil and crushed red pepper, stirriing to dissolve the honey. Add the sliced steak and coat thoroughly in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate the steak for at least 4 hours or overnight.

2. Working in batches, grill the steak over medium high heat until the slices are richly browned and medium-rare, about 30 seconds per side.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So i hate that my town (and surrounding area) doesn't have many ethnic resteraunts. I am also trying to save money which means a lot more cooking a home. SO I have decided that at least once I week I want to "visit" another country. I will do a little research on the country and then cook something from that country. If there are any customs that the hubby and I can do at home, then we'll do that too.

What are your favorite dishes from around the world? And if you have it, a little fun fact about the country that it's from

Oddly enough Chicken Tikka is actually a british dish.... Masala makes it Indian... I make a Curry-Crepe and fill it with Chicken Tikka Masala for the university I cook for - WHAT A HIT!!!! I also keep the chicken separate in case a vegetarian would like to have it sans the chicken
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I enjoy making authentic chinese and korean dishes (not the americanized versions) - friends of mine from Taiwan always share with me their true dishes and OH MY GAWD, ohhh so good.

Im a big fan of some Czechoslovakian recipes (sans the pasta or rice), there is a Czech-style meatball recipe that uses both pork and beef, in a rich and zesty paprika sauce with sauerkraut, onions, peppers and mushrooms... OHHHH warms ya from the inside on a cold wintry day!

Im a BIG fan of "Bangers and 'mash'" but instead of mashed potatoes Ill do mashed cauliflower with a variety of seasonings and herbs...

working as a chef for a living makes this alot easier for me - and as a matter of fact, I have grocery shopping to do today and CANT WAIT!!!
  • missamy1989
    Options

Love this dish, so fatty apparently though...I shallow fry some chicken in a wok, whilst cooking the patak's sauce in a pan...once the chicken is done, empty the remaining oil (if any) away and add the patak's sauce and some boiled rice. It comes out in a kind of risotto looking mess but tastes fabulous...we call it chindian (Chinese/Indian). x
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    We cook loads of ethinic foods. Husbands family is from Poland (many generations ago) so I do lots of pierogis and stuffed cabbage. I am east indian..so curry is always the staple out our house. I also do diffrent things to keep the kids interested..chinese, italian, plain old american...
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    mmmm bangers and mash! There's so many things you all have mentioned that sound great! I can't wait to start doing more cooking!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Not sure it's ethnic, but haggis is yummy :L

Instructions

Take a sheep
    Kill your sheep
    Take out sheeps organs and offal bits
    Clean out stomach
    mix other organs with vegetables and grains of your choice
    Stuff stomach with mixture
    Tie up and boil until cooked

:D

Or, go to supermarket, buy it and microwave :L
  • VeganInTraining
    Options

Instructions

Take a sheep
    Kill your sheep
    Clean out stomach

if you actually cook that yourself you are my idol and a rockstar!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Instructions

Take a sheep
    Kill your sheep
    Clean out stomach

Haggis fritters are the sex!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Instructions

Take a sheep
    Kill your sheep
    Clean out stomach

Forgot interesting fact!
    Okay, um, Scotland is the ONLY country in the world where Coca cola is NOT the leading soft drink... Irn bru is!
    (Which is probably why they don't sell it in America :P)
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Polish/German cabbage dishes but I really like Indian too. Bengan Bharta with chipati bread is my favorite.