Thinking about going RAW and VEGAN. Anyone doing this? Im co

Options
Some of my good friends on FB are Raw Vegans.. I have been very interested in this lifestyle, but frankly uneducated and scared to try it. Not sure how to even begin and I am also scared about the cost. I know these friends have juicers.. which alone are over $100..plus all these exotic fruits and proteins I believe could also add up! To add to this, I also have hypothyroidism so I have to limit carbs, soy, and things like brocolli and Kale. I also dont understand calorie wise.. What I am talking about is this. Today for example my Raw Vegan friend stated that she made a shake that contained the following: 1 thai coconut, 2 medjool dates, 1 scoop of Sun Warrior Protein, a banana, glutamine (whatever that is), frozen Spinash, and 1 tbs of goji berries (again no clue what that is)... Anyways I inputed all of that into the food log and it was over 700 calories!! Now if that is what she ate just for breakfast..how the heck many calories is she eating in a day?!?!?! On top of that I looked up some of the ingredients and the protein stuff is over $40 for a tiny bag and those special dates are also $40+. I dont have that kind of money!!

I really would like to start doing this.. but need SUGGESTIONS and HELP! Is there an easier and cheaper way to go about this? Are there good resources or recipes online? Im not sure I would feel satisfied with just nuts and leafs. I would also like to incorporate this with my kids.. but thinking they would be less then thrilled

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I believe there are many people who do raw and/or vegan diets. As a former vegan, I can assure you that eating a raw and/or vegan diet does not mean one is necessarily eating fewer calories in a day. I'm not sure what your reasons for wanting to do this; you may want to think about it some and look into the many ways one can eat healthier. (This is not to say that veganism and/or raw diets cannot be healthy, just that one should not deem such diets as intrinsically healthy and switch without deep consideration as to why and how to proceed.)
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a vegetarian & only eat eggs & Greek yog. as far as dairy goes. I would suggest getting Alicia Silverstone's book, "The Kind Diet". So helpful!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I believe there are many people who do raw and/or vegan diets. As a former vegan, I can assure you that eating a raw and/or vegan diet does not mean one is necessarily eating fewer calories in a day. I'm not sure what your reasons for wanting to do this; you may want to think about it some and look into the many ways one can eat healthier. (This is not to say that veganism and/or raw diets cannot be healthy, just that one should not deem such diets as intrinsically healthy and switch without deep consideration as to why and how to proceed.)

I second this.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Another fad diet. And way too expensive for me! Takes too much intellectual and emotional energy just to buy all the stuff and then blend it up.

I'm almost a vegetarian -- but I can't give up my beloved fish, and I have to cook the occasional bird (chicken) for my family. But, if you are truly serious about being a vegetarian, or a vegan, I suggest you check out the Veggie Venture web site: http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/ I love their pictures and their blogs. They inspire my veggie cooking. You could start there, then move on to match your fancy friends if your budget allows it.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I would take it one step at a time, like do each of the following for a month each:

1. Become lacto/ovo vegetarian (cut out meat, but continue eating eggs & dairy if you like)
    2. Become full vegetarian (no eggs/dairy)
    3. Become vegan (no animal products at all)
    4. Try raw vegan.

Before you do any of them, you might want to consider meeting with your doctor and/or a nutritionist to discuss how you'll get enough protein specifically, but other vitamins/nutrition too (like iron, etc.) at each of these stages.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan yet but have slowly been making the switch to vegetarian and raw. It takes so much effort to stay completely vegan and I'm pretty busy so I think I'm happy as vegetarian. Makes me feel so much better (health wise and for my conscience!)

I wanted to share this blog that I've been reading: http://ohsheglows.com/ . It has healthy vegan recipes under the recipe tab as well as other info and her weight loss story.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Im not gung-ho on the idea all just yet.. just something Ive been toying with lately. Like I said on FB these friends are always commenting on how much better they feel, clearer thier minds are etc.

Now I cant see this at work (computer blocks it) but this is my friends blog www.thinassvegan*****.blogspot.com
    Not sure whats all on there.. but if its anything like her FB you will understand why I am considering this

Thanks for the tip about that book as well :)
  • Arynamber
    Options
    dang it blocked the word.. The word that was blocked starts with a B and ends with and itch
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    If you aren't gung ho on the idea maybe start of simply, like doing clean or cleaner eating. That always makes me feel better.
  • kikitlo
    kikitlo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Amber - I went vegan Jan 2011. I had been a vegetarian since 2004. I did the whole "raw" thing for a while. Juicer and all. It can be expensive if you get sucked in to the cool gadgets and "high end" raw foods and supplements. I, myself, have three kids and work part time, so I definitely had to do some homework as far a finding the deals and what works for me without putting us in the poor house.
    I still do ALOT of raw foods, but I am not as strict as I was in the beginning. I read Kris Carr's book, Crazy Sexy Diet and that what pretty much sent me on my vegan journey. She's living with an incurable cancer and that has not gotten worse with her raw vegan diet. So her journey is very strict in order to basically survive. I took away a lot of usable info to incorporate into my daily life.
    I take it since you are on this website, you're also getting physical activity too. Brendan Brazier is a vegan triathlete , ironman....etc and has a few books out regarding fueling your active body. I went to one of his seminars at a local Whole Foods and took way some great info.
    I hope this helps a bit. It is a journey and a learning process. Remember baby steps. It'll come. Also too, remember, what works for others may not work for you. It's about personalizing what your body needs so that you can thrive.

Kiki T
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Medjool dates aren't fancy, they're just regular old grocery store dates! And they're super sweet so you only need maybe one in a smoothie. Also, I'm vegan (not raw) and I rarely drink my calories. It's not a necessity.

I can tell you if you buy a smart variety of canned, fresh, and frozen fruits and veggies you won't have any problem affording it. Stores and brands are harping on the country's growing demand for "healthy" food so don't buy prepackaged, premade, prewashed things. Totally useless unless you really do need to eat in the car in the parking lot or something.

It's safe to say there's usually more prep work and planning ahead in a vegan diet but I wouldn't say it's expensive if you buy the right products.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how a raw vegan diet would work. What is Sun Warrior Protein? It sounds like a powder supplement and could that realistically be considered "raw".

Also, frozen spinach is cooked (blanched) so that wouldn't be raw either.
  • Arynamber
    Options
    From what I understand from online that Sun Warrior Protein is a rice protein thats low calories.. Im not sure about it being "raw"
  • cdstadt
    Options
    I can't imagine how a raw vagan diet would work. What is Sun Warrior Protein? It sounds like a powder supplement and could that realistically be considered "raw".

Yes. You'd have to actually know the product, though.

And raw diets incorporate a lot of foods, there's just a lot of soaking, sprouting, and dehydrating involved. As far as I can tell at least. I've never looked into it and I'm not sold on the benefits so I really don't intend to at the moment.
  • cdstadt
    Options

That's true but she could have frozen fresh spinach for the purpose of putting it in a smoothie. I like to freeze all my ingredients too because you don't need to add ice that way.

But the OP did say it was tablespoons of spinach, right? Seems like that would be cooked spinach..

Edit: It wasn't tablespoons but who knows. We shouldn't be tearing apart someone's meal anyway
  • Arynamber
    Options

Edit: It wasn't tablespoons but who knows. We shouldn't be tearing apart someone's meal anyway

No Im glad you are looking at the smoothy I am confused by it.
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a vegetarian & only eat eggs & Greek yog. as far as dairy goes. I would suggest getting Alicia Silverstone's book, "The Kind Diet". So helpful!

I read this book - it is indeed a great read.

I went vegan for a few months - but never went raw. I would say be careful and get some professional advice. My fingernails were literally splitting in 2 after 6 months going vegan and it was not a pretty sight. It's not for everyone - potentially if very carefully managed, but I did not have the awareness to do that unfortunately.
  • Upcycled
    Options
    Veganism is a bit overwhelming, to say the least. You would be able to justify the cost if it was a decision based on ethics, rather than what you think would help you lose weight. I was a Vegan for about a year or so, and yes, it can be quite expensive, especially if you plan on converting your children also. Definantely do some online research before making a decision. Most of the people I met have gone Vegan because of the cruelty of the meat industry and frankly, some of them have gained weight since. I guess the most important thing is your intention. There is good book called "Vegan Freak" you could read, it's quite informational. Good luck!:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No Im glad you are looking at the smoothy I am confused by it.

My intention was not "tear apart" anything. I was just asking questions. I just don't really see how a truly raw vegan diet could be heatlhy as most vegan proteins that I am familiar with such as tofu, seitan and legumes are not eaten raw. Nuts would be the exception, I guess
  • sarkris
    sarkris Posts: 41
    Options
    I was raw on and off for about 4 years. Yes I lost weight and felt absolutely amazing but it is a difficult diet to maintain longterm. I would feel extremely deprived after a while a binge. It also can be quite expensive or not too bad depending on how you do it. And no you don't "need" expensive supps or a juicer although they are nice to have. Message me if you'd like some info - there are great recipe books and websites out there.