Wanting to start Zumba.. but no support. HELP =]

Options
I have been wanting to start zumba classes, but no one will go with me.
I am the type of person that needs support(as in someone going with me0.

So, I have decided to change that!!

I was just curious, how was some of your first times stepping into a zumba class?
Weird? Hard? Did you suck? If so, did anyone look at you funny?/

Thanks guys =]]

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yes I sucked! But then so did everyone else when they started!! Honestly, it's so much fun and after 3 or 4 times, without realising when/how it happened, you'll be in the groove!
  • Yary2931
    Yary2931 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started going to Zumba this week and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I did go with a couple of friends, however I have to say that I met some new friends there from day one... Now if I have to go alone, I will. It is a lot of fun, a great workout and there are always lots of fun friendly girls there. GO!!! You will love it. Keep me posted. Would love to hear how is going.
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    Options
    all ages ,all sizes some people really good other people learning the routines , no one bothers if you go wrong in the classes i go to just smile , it great fun i go 2 times a week :smile: :smile:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I sucked - a lot of people sucked. People don't know the routines ... they run into each other.... but everyone was laughing and having a great time. And I was so focused on the instructor and trying to follow her steps that I didn't pay too close attention to what anyone else was doing.
  • alie5612
    Options
    hiya i been going to zumba for a while where we lived with a group of friends then we had to move I'm shy and need friends around me but missed going i found a class in town were i moved to and didn't think about it all day just went stood at back and got on with it you really don't have time to chat while in class so didn't really feel alone still go girls say hi but that's about it but i there to build up a sweat as soon as the music starts your off go its great fun
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I love zumba classes but still don't have the moves completely down. Went myself for the past month and have made a bunch of friends as I'm sure you will, just smile at people and it naturally happens. Everyone is working hard and only looking at themselves so don't worry!!! Also, it helped me to go behind someone who is pretty good and try to follow their moves. It's a lot of fun for a really good workout! Go and enjoy!
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun and everyone in there is there to enjoy themselves and obviously enjoys having fun as well! There is no *****iness.

And as my instructor stresses to us every week, "There is NO WRONG WAY of doing Zumba!"

Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself!

You'll have a blast!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am the most uncoordinated person known to man. I go by myself and always grab a spot in the back of the room. It helps me feel more comfortable. Honestly, in my experience, you don't even watch anyone else. I have my eyes glued on the instructor the whole time. Everyone is more focused on learning the steps and getting a good workout rather than how well the person next to you dances. I think you should try it, and if you get uncomfortable, you can always walk out and jump on the treadmill or elliptical to finish up your workout.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Wow... I didn't realise that word I wrote would get starred out!!
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not so much worried about the sucking part.. haha
    I LOVE dancing. And I find it hard to motivate myself to work out.. so I figured this was the perfect way to "work out"

I am just not much for "anything new" and different.
    AND thats my problem!!! ahh =]

haha

Thanks guys you are awesome, and I will keep you posted =]
  • clainsworth1
    clainsworth1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go try it... definitely...its okay if you go alone... I teach it... We, as instructors don't watch to see if you are nailing it or anything like that. We just want you to have a good time while you are there....you will leave with a smile, promise... All Zumba classes are always full of smiles which is one of the reasons I enjoy teaching it so much. Just gotta keep going to classes to get used to the moves, routines.... I know any class can be awkward at first but once you get past that initial time you will be glad you gave it a try. Lots of fun...
  • lexximan
    Options
    Go try it... definitely...its okay if you go alone... I teach it... We, as instructors don't watch to see if you are nailing it or anything like that. We just want you to have a good time while you are there....you will leave with a smile, promise... All Zumba classes are always full of smiles which is one of the reasons I enjoy teaching it so much. Just gotta keep going to classes to get used to the moves, routines.... I know any class can be awkward at first but once you get past that initial time you will be glad you gave it a try. Lots of fun...

Thanks, How long did you do classes before you became an instructor?
    I mean a few years down the road I would love to do that

Of course after awhile, once I get into the groove of things I love it!!!
  • yeaforme
    Options
    I went by myself. I kind of preferred it that way. I could look like a total spaz and nobody in my life would have to know about it!
  • lexximan
    Options
    I went by myself. I kind of preferred it that way. I could look like a total spaz and nobody in my life would have to know about it!

that is very true, love you reasoning =]
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I tried Zumba for the first time last night. I have to tell you that I have no rhythm whatsoever, but I had a great time and the hour just flew by. I decided I wanted to go to Zumba class one night a week to change up my workout a little bit. I was a little nervous at first because everyone else seemed to know what they were doing, but nobody even gave me a second glance because they were focusing on themselves and the instructor. Good luck!
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! It took me a while to learn the routines...but, now I don't even have to look at the instructor. It's helped me loose 3 inches from my waist in 6 wks.

Side pt...we have almost the exact stats...sent you a friend request :)

Zumba Love Baby!
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Zumba is all about getting a BURN on. There are some moves but there is no one sitting there keeping check on your choreography so don't stress. So don't hesitate any longer and just DO IT, we look forward to the results of your experience.
  • Fit4lifelena85
    Fit4lifelena85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started going to zumba in February. I also had no one who would go with me. But, I decided to give it a try. Yes, you will look like an idiot your first class. Will you be alone? No. And you will sweat, burn calories, and have a blast. And if you keep going regularly, you will learn many of the popular moves and improve your workout. The instructor for my class always says, "as long as you keep moving, you're burning calories!"
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba classes in May and love it! Lots of fun, great music and a body getting toned are just a few good reasons to go:smile: