Anyone else dealing with a lack of motivation at home?

Options
My mom gets so mad when I try to eat healthy or work out too much. She can't stand when I go to the gym and hates when I buy low fat/low sugar/diet foods. She doesn't like that I do wheat products over white products. I asked for a heart rate monitor for Christmas and she wasn't happy about that. She doesn't like that I want to start buying more locally grown food/meat. I know it's because I'm recovering from an eating disorder, but most of the reasons I do these things AREN'T for losing weight. I just want to be healthy. I want to stay fit. I want to buy local food because it's less processed. But no matter how much I try to explain this to her, she automatically assumes it's to lose weight. Any advice?

Replies

• iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Show her your diary? It might ease her mind that you are still on track, eating healthy.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Show her your diary? It might ease her mind that you are still on track, eating healthy.

That would make her even more mad. She hates that I track my intake. She thinks I should just eat what I want, when I want.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to understand a mom who doesn't want to support her daughter in being healthy AND in losing weight. It makes me wonder if she has some issues of her own. Is she overweight and doesn't want to face it? Did/does she have issues with the culture's focus on physical beauty? Understanding her might help you deal with it.
    In the mean time, find friends to support you and keep on being healthy!
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to understand a mom who doesn't want to support her daughter in being healthy AND in losing weight. It makes me wonder if she has some issues of her own. Is she overweight and doesn't want to face it? Did/does she have issues with the culture's focus on physical beauty? Understanding her might help you deal with it.
    In the mean time, find friends to support you and keep on being healthy!

She is overweight, but I really don't think that has to do with it. I understand that she's worried about me, and I know that my eating disorder really upset her, and she felt like it was her fault. But I'm just trying so hard to do everything right and be healthy so I can live a long, happy life, but she doesn't see that.
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate very much that she is concerned. I have worked with people with eating issues in the past and it could be seen as an aberrant eating behaviour. Do you have a coucellor/physician/anyone with eating disorder experience you could go to to help put her mind at ease that you are not relapsing? Many people think you should eat anything/everything once you 'get better' and see any attempt at food 'control' as relapse. Your mom gets mad because she is scared and loves you.
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you cooked a delicious meal for your family? There are some great recipes using seasonal vegetables that maybe be something you and she could do together. If cooking isn't your thing, maybe start with an easy chicken crock pot recipe.
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you're mom is like that, have you ever sat and talked to her about why she is so worried about you loosing weight? I know that there are two people in my family who don't see me as overweight and they get the same way when we are together- the reason? They both had eating disorders when they were young, one almost died from hers... so they are just worried that there is something deeper going on that I am not talking about/telling them. I sat them down and showed them the paper work from my insurance company telling me that with my height, body fat % and elevated triglycerides and how much of a risk these pose to me because of family heart problem history + my the heart risks my meds can pose + the fact that my numbers alone pose heart problem risks on their own. I basically broke down why I really need to get in shape and it helped them understand that I am not trying to become thin as air, I just want to get healthy... maybe you could show her something to calm her down?

edit: I meant one almost DIED from hers not one almost DIET from hers... sorry that makes a giant difference
  • dessab
    dessab Posts: 5
    Options
    Tell her you are trying to eat what you want when you want but she is not being supportive. Make her feel a part of the process with you. Maybe if she feels like she is taking part she can better see where your coming from.