Do you get treated differently now that you lost a lot of we

Options
*edit* should say "lost a lot of weight" but got cut off.

Just curious if you notice people being nicer or friendly just because you dropped the weight. You're the still the same person on the inside but they now see the new outside.

Replies

• G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My friend last 100 lbs last year, and noticed such a difference in the way people treated her (as well as other post-weight-loss changes) that she wrote a book called "Suddenly Skinny," to help others deal with the those changes. I think you can find it on Amazon or Kindle if you are interested. She said that even clothes shopping was a profoundly different experience. I haven't lost much yet, so I can't speak to that topic, but I hope to be able to next year!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm far more comfy with myself now, so I'm nicer and friendlier and more at ease with my body, entire self and everyone around me. I'm sure that has everything to do with why when I smile when I walk past someone they reciprocate. What a great feeling getting my confidence back!!:drinker: :heart:
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have certainly noticed since I gained weight. People either ignore me altogether in many situations or are outrightly rude. I have only lost a little weight, but I've been dressing better and doing my face and hair more, and I've already noticed a change in people's responses to me. Looking forward to not being treated like a social pariah any more. It's sad, but I think it's true that people do judge by what they see on the outside. Good topic!
  • yuli23
    yuli23 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    LOL i was just thinking that this morning ... i went to the gas sttion and the door was opened for me both going in nd out ... ive been on the skinny side and the really big side and there is a diff on how ppl treat others. my hubby didnt think it was true .... he said he opens the door for everyone ..,. lol but he has a chubby wife ...lol so ehhhh

there is more looks and smiles ...

but i still have a looooooong way to go
  • dbrct
    dbrct Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree. I was at 279 a year ago, and now I'm at 215. Although 215 is nowhere near where I want to be, it looks good on me, and so many more guys smile and notice me. Women beam when they see me because they know the difference. The one thing that really affects me is when they say, "You can REALLY see the weight loss in your face". I thought to myself, what did I have a huge, round apple pie for a face?
  • newmercies7
    Options
    I have not lost enough weight yet to be noticable to others yet, but i have lost a significant amount in the past. What i found, is other female freinds do treat me a little different. Many were happy for me but there were quite some that actually seemed jealous and stayed a distance from me. It really hurt, but my weight loss is important to me so i just had to let it go. I expect the same results again, but at least it won't surprise me this time. That book seems like a good read. :wink:

:11698383.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've found the opposite. I get more snide looks or comments now I've lost weight ....but then I do mostly work with women. Jealous much?
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm use to it now, but it really bothered me to have people who didn't talk to me before talk to me now, and those who did don't now. Saw a lot of that. Wish It wasn't like that, shouldn't matter what I weigh at all. I mean, sheesh I'm a 40 yr old woman whose hair is thinning out lol, weight isn't everything. I'm just healthier now. Use to be able to make eye contact with people walking by, and say good morning or hello, and now it rarely happens, almost all women don't look at me, and then some men, but I don't want anyone feeling insecure around me, because I'm just me, I have issues and imperfections like everyone else.
  • yuli23
    yuli23 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i know i know i get that all the tme .... you can really tell in your face ... its like really cause i am down 3 pant sizes ... but i smile and say thanx
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I get hit on 1000 percent more.

But I do think part of that is increased self confidence :P
  • Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    "You can REALLY see the weight loss in your face". I thought to myself, what did I have a huge, round apple pie for a face?

Check out this thread for my before and after pics. You can REALLY see it in my face though. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/372613-80-lb-loss-before-after-pics
  • Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What I've noticed is, I tend to get second glances more from women than before when I am healthier looking. Not that they come up to me and throw themselves at me but baby steps. I will take it. :)
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes, a lot differently.

At work, men are much more 'chivalrous'. It used to be if a guy was walking into the building before me, even if they saw me, they would just walk on through and let the door close. Now, they wait and hold the door open. Interesting...

They also are more likely to strike conversations with me in the elevator or waiting for the microwave in the breakroom during lunch, and sometimes even letting me warm my lunch before them!

I'm enjoying the change in how I get treated, but at the same time, it's a sad statement on how we all treat each other based on looks. I have mixed feelings about it.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    yes. i get treated better. guys look at me more. but that may also be a result of increased self confidence and change in style because i feel i can wear stuff and not look bad.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I posted a thing yesterday asking the same thing. There are a lot of little things that people do now. My friends act differently around me. Strangers treat me a little different too, but I think that my be because I carry my self differently. I feel more normal/confident not a fat slob. I presented myself as someone who didn't care what I looked like or felt like
  • SannaBourne
    Options
    Definitley, .. i noticed i have a lot more friends now that i've lost weight.. but i also think its because i've become more outgoing
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    People definately treat me differently from when I was skinny and when I was at my biggest. I used to be skinny all my life, and always thought wow people are so nice and friendly. Then I gained weight a couple of years ago, and it was like boom I disappeared, people didn't look at me or if they saw me it wasn't the same way as when I was skinny. People didn't smile at me as much, and for sure more doors slammed in my face when I was at my biggest.

Now that I've been losing weight, exercising and looking much smaller than before, I'm getting much more smiles from strangers. People are much more friendlier, my neighbors are even talking to me more now. It's like all of a sudden I'm not invisible anymore, which doesn't make sense because how could you not see before when I was at my biggest!?!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    i know i know i get that all the tme .... you can really tell in your face ... its like really cause i am down 3 pant sizes ... but i smile and say thanx
    Because if they said "Hey your butt is way smaller!" they'd probably get slapped? :laugh:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    LOooks good, I have put it in my wish list, thanks! I also forgot to mention that most of these people that talk to me now that didn't before, or don't now that would before, are those I go to church with. Pretty sad. lol
    My friend last 100 lbs last year, and noticed such a difference in the way people treated her (as well as other post-weight-loss changes) that she wrote a book called "Suddenly Skinny," to help others deal with the those changes. I think you can find it on Amazon or Kindle if you are interested. She said that even clothes shopping was a profoundly different experience. I haven't lost much yet, so I can't speak to that topic, but I hope to be able to next year!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I find that I do.. and I've only lost 27 pounds... nothing major like a lot on here have.

Guys are nicer and girls are well girls.. I don't have much money to replace my wardrobe, but when I do, I'm sure it will change even more.

No one cares about whats on the inside anymore.. it's all about outward appearances. Which is very sad but very true..