Cycling ok with shin splints?

Options
I've had to stop running for a few days due to the beginnings of shin splints, i'd had a few days off so went to test the water last night with a 20 min jog, was in agony on the way home so i'm going to have to take a bit longer off. Can i cycle instead or will this aggrivate them more? I thought it would be ok seems as im not putting all my weight on my legs but im a bit worried as i'm still using them primarily. Had thought about swimming and gym etc but kind of need to do something free as going travelling next month so pretty skint :laugh: and walking i dont feel burns enough calroeis as id like, i prefer the outdoors as well! Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I typically spin when my legs are sore and whether it actually happens or its all in my head, I think it makes them feel better.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    anything non weightbearing will help you out. Sometimes you may need to consider some recovery time before you do anything. Although in cycling, you usually put your foot in the cage on the pedal which can cause some pain, so consider an upright bike without putting your foot in a cage or strap.

Hope you feel better!
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm an athletic trainer (which is not a personal trainer) and with my athletes who have shin splints I usually will have them cycle... you may want to try some kind of inserts, 75% of people who get shin splints are a foot wear problem. I usually recommend an insert called "Super Feet" for my athletes and you can get them at REI ($35-$40)...... most of the ones who get get them love them as much as I do...they usually last 8 months-18 months depending on the amount of wear
    I hope this help and that your shins feel better soon!!!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm an athletic trainer (which is not a personal trainer) and with my athletes who have shin splints I usually will have them cycle... you may want to try some kind of inserts, 75% of people who get shin splints are a foot wear problem. I usually recommend an insert called "Super Feet" for my athletes and you can get them at REI ($35-$40)...... most of the ones who get get them love them as much as I do...they usually last 8 months-18 months depending on the amount of wear

SuperFeet changed my life!
  • emtess123
    Options
    Thanks guys will give cycling a go this weekend, i love cycling anyway so dont mind doing this as much! I think i just did too much too soon with running so plan to have another few days off then see how it goes, i do love it though so im hoping it wont be too long till i can get going again!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

Will give it a try.