sodium effects

Options
Hi everyone...I seem to have a really hard time keeping my sodium level under my goal. Ive tried switching up my foods and eating more vegetables and more protien but I seem to always go over the sodium no matter what... how bad is this when it comes to weight loss? any suggestions on low sodium but filling foods?

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Umm. It's hard to see without seeing your diary. If you made your diary public, we may be able to suggest easy substitutes for you.
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    I would like to know this too!!
    I never really paid attention to sodium till this last week or two, and now I am finding I am WAY over every day.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Causes water weight..... it is frustrating cause it seems to be in EVERYTHING, but there are low sodium options. I mean its in stuff that you would never imagine.... chili powder for one... that still blows my mind. lol I'm always under my sodium, but as someone else mentioned, if your diary was open it would be easier to give you suggestions. :)
  • Lizzie4942
    Lizzie4942 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hey just read the labels and try to find things with low sodium is the best you can do. Stay away from boxed food. Just start making your own meals with no salt in them. I know if I eat too much sodium my ankels swell up. Just drink plenty of water and keep your feet moving. :happy:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Frosted MiniWheats have zero sodium.
    Doesn't get more filling than that.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I have a hard time keep my sodium low too ! a friend told me to use Bragg liquid amino instead of salt. Haven't tried it yet but i'm going to look into it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 1500 and don't really have a problem (that's actually the new recommended amount daily), I think it has everything to do with label reading and not eating much processed foods.

The first thing I find myself reading now on food labels is the sodium... it's everywhere if we're not mindful. Dressings, bread, pre-cooked foods etc. Too much sodium in the product, I put it back on the shelf. Amazing what you find on food labels...

Fruits and veggies have sodium and of course I count that but it's more natural than added for flavor or preserving a processed food.

Think about each food you eat, how much is the sodium in it, getting conscience of it really helped me curb it and now it's not a problem. But if I wasn't conscience of labels so much I'd be way over as well. :flowerforyou:

Someone ask to see your diary, I don't feel the need to see it as it's all about what we put in our mouths and we each know what that is whether we share our diaries or not.

Wishing you well and making a game of label reading can make it far more fun eating healthy!:wink::drinker:
    Causes water weight..... it is frustrating cause it seems to be in EVERYTHING, but there are low sodium options. I mean its in stuff that you would never imagine.... chili powder for one... that still blows my mind. lol I'm always under my sodium, but as someone else mentioned, if your diary was open it would be easier to give you suggestions. :)
    Chili Powder blew me out of the water too! I had no clue some brands contained it...then I started looking around and realized the better brands don't all have sodium in them, just simple chili powder as the ingredient.

Again, I used to used tons in my Chili and had NO CLUE! EEK:grumble: :wink:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was always high on mine until I started paying attention. Processed food is generally high in sodium, especially processed meats like ham or other lunchmeats. Soups and cheese always have a lot too. Watching your sodium over the course of the day is the best way to become more aware of where your sodium is coming from.

Although sodium doesn't have any calories, it does cause water retention. Some people are more affected than others. This can contribute to hypertension also.

If you like to salt your food, go with a high quaility sea salt that doesn't have any additives like non-caking agents. I love the RealSalt brand. It generally doesn't affect my blood pressure at all and has an almost sweet taste to it.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash is your friend here.... an entire line of no sodium alts, with flavors to suit your needs.. (i.e... carribean)
    i have started to get my sodium under control by finding quickie "alternatives" (i am lazy... i need convienence foods too)

instead of salsa--- try any number of no salt added diced tomatos, green peppers, jaleapenos add chipolte red pepper (add more, or less to taste) .. and make a batch of it. Goes GREAT with brown rice and a meat of your choice (beef smoked sausage, diced and cooked in an iron skillet i eat for lunch nearly every other day for lunch.. less than 300 calories and 490 in sodium for 2 oz of sausage.. pick another type of lower sodium meat, its still just as good, this just works within MY scheme) total prep time is
    7 mins for rice in microwave, like 5 mins on the sausage

spread this "salsa" on an omlette, maybe one with half a potato cooked in, and you have also created a huge potassium meal, and potassium is like the natural enemy of sodium... (not really.. but.. it helps )

Same for spaghetti sauces. mrs dash.. oregono.. fresh mushrooms.. bell peppers... all fairly cheap... add some meat, or dont..

its ok to have a huge sodium blowout once in a while, i think its just about being aware, and keeping it from being a habit.
  • sarahstro
    Options
    Thankyou everyone! I guess I do need to just start looking at the labels more.