Jog, don't walk

Options
Debbe2
Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
I love to walk. Have never been a runner or jogger but to my surprise last night I went out for a casual walk around the neighborhood. Weirdest feeling, I wanted to walk faster and faster and found myself jogging! OMG... I am getting healthier and stronger everyday. I am so happy and grateful to be doing this for myself and just wanted to share. Also my dog is pretty happy cause she loved the pace!

Replies

• lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Good for you ! Thats an awesome feeling . I starting running myself and now I love it ! Never thought I would . Before you know it you will be jogging a mile :) Keep it up !
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    That is how I started running. I kept getting faster on my walks but it gets to the point that you can only walk so fast.

I did the C25k program to ease into and now love running!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I would love to be able to do high impact (again). Keep up the good work!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    so motivating, good for you, hope it rubs off on me!!!
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ahh running. It's free and it rips up calories like nothing else. Enjoy.
  • sammy3303
    Options
    So great!!! I am trying to walk/run . . . not happening. I guess I just need to do it . . . like Nike says hahahahaa
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    thats how it started for me too, ah about 40 pounds ago...
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Excellent
    I did this - walked, then jogged (not really running). It wasn't as bad as I thought although my knees were barking a bit after I was done.
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love to walk. Have never been a runner or jogger but to my surprise last night I went out for a casual walk around the neighborhood. Weirdest feeling, I wanted to walk faster and faster and found myself jogging! OMG... I am getting healthier and stronger everyday. I am so happy and grateful to be doing this for myself and just wanted to share. Also my dog is pretty happy cause she loved the pace!
    Congrats!!! That is awesome :happy:
    It sounds like you would love C25K.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hey, good for you! Running is fantastic, makes you feel great and shreds calories. Make sure you keep an eye on your joints and give your body lots of love -- supportive gear, etc. Way to go!
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    Grats! I run at least a mile a day, but hey, I started off walking too :D
  • Calvinator24
    Calvinator24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Let me also jump on the C25K bandwagon. That's what got me started running/jogging last year. Did my first 5K in May 2010. Ran the White Rock Marathon in December 2010. I don't necessarily recommend anyone try to run a marathon only 9 months after starting to run. I had to set that kind of goal or I would have quit running after about 3 days.

I still don't enjoy running, but I definitely don't hate it.

One piece of advice: If you haven't already, go immediately to a store dedicated to running (if there's one near you) to get a good pair of running shoes. Unless you have no other option, don't just go to a sporting goods store because you never know if the person helping you knows anything about matching the right shoe to you for your frame, foot, & gait.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I walk a lot and about a month ago I started running/jogging some and i really enjoy it.

I've set a goal to run in my first 5k sometime this spring.

As long as my knees hold up I will keep jogging.
  • isherryb
    isherryb Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Its an amazing feeling isn't it! My walks aren't very long, but I find myself able to jog a little, skipping, things I tried and couldn't do before. Gives us the incentive to keep going. Congratulations!
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That is very cool... congratulations on becoming a jogger... wonder what else you can do before you even notice it! Great NSV!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!