Green to Go.. Fruits and Veggies in powder form?

Options
They are little packets that you pour into water bottles and drink. They clain to have 6 serving of fruits and Veggies in every packet????

I don't get it :noway:

I thought they looked pretty cool but I wouldn't use them instead of eating fruits and Veggies..

Anyone else consume these? Could they be used instead of a multi vitamin

opinions?? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• w_sanford
    w_sanford Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The real thing is best!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I take certain supplements only because Im being advised to by my doctors... some scripts deplete this and that, while the supplements help to counter that...

I dont think I could take those that you mentioned. I think its just a corporation trying to make money and fool you into thinking you could easily replace the real thing with powder....
  • cdevine10
    cdevine10 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    UMMMM....... This just sounds wrong. I have never heard of them but how can a fruit or veggie get turned into a powder?? Along with everything else that is processed; now they are turning fruits and veggies into powder???? I just dont like the idea. If you have no idea how they get a product to do something then you probably should not put it into your body.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take greens everyday. Not to replace eating veggies as much as to supplement my nutrition.

You get extra enzymes, probiotics and other stuff that you can't get as easily even in a good nutritional plan.

So the answer is to eat veggies and take your greens.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Ew! If you're having a hard time eating the real deal, why would you want to plug your nose and drink the crystal light version.....only not sweet and probably quite disgusting....?

Edit to add that Mcrow is way smarter than me, so listen to him.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Actually I have been reading the box (people at work take them) and it seems they are more of a supplement like a vitamin. I don't think it is actual fruits and veggies made into powder.. There is no way they could get 6 of them into one tiny packet :laugh:

They have no artificial sweetners, no artificial colors, flavor, no added sugar, no preservatives.....and made with organic veggies and fruits..

okay confused again... they ARE made WITH fruits and veggies LOL

http://greenstogo.com/
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
  • lowkeyelv
    Options
    Hey there.

The powders you're considering taking do have a nutritional value. They don't have nearly the nutritional value, however, of fresh fruits and vegetables, or fresh juice from fruits and veggies (freshly juiced). A lot of the value of eating these types of foods comes from things that may not exist in the powdered form, as the fiber content has been removed, and because the anti-oxidants and phytochemicals may not survive the processing (certain companies claim freeze-drying saves these elements). Fresh juice (not store juice or juice in a jar or can) has the advantage of providing all of the extra nutritional value of anti-oxidants (to fight cancer) and phytochemicals, but sacrifices fiber to allow you to ingest far more nutrients instead. Fresh veggies have (well, certain ones have) loads of fiber, but are filling and don't allow you to, as a practical matter, eat as much nutritionally as you could drink from juicing. I'd have to say the powder is a third place solution, though still better than juice in a jar or a can.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I should also state that just because I take greens doesn't mean I don't eat fruits and vegetable servings.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Hey there.

The powders you're considering taking do have a nutritional value. They don't have nearly the nutritional value, however, of fresh fruits and vegetables, or fresh juice from fruits and veggies (freshly juiced). A lot of the value of eating these types of foods comes from things that may not exist in the powdered form, as the fiber content has been removed, and because the anti-oxidants and phytochemicals may not survive the processing (certain companies claim freeze-drying saves these elements). Fresh juice (not store juice or juice in a jar or can) has the advantage of providing all of the extra nutritional value of anti-oxidants (to fight cancer) and phytochemicals, but sacrifices fiber to allow you to ingest far more nutrients instead. Fresh veggies have (well, certain ones have) loads of fiber, but are filling and don't allow you to, as a practical matter, eat as much nutritionally as you could drink from juicing. I'd have to say the powder is a third place solution, though still better than juice in a jar or a can.

The problem with juice is high calorie content. Not to say you shouldn't drink juice but there is only so much room in a diet for the calories, particularly when losing weight. So, to cover the gaps a good greens supplement can be good at very few calories. Paired with a good multi it's like insurance against being deficient in some nutrients.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    I should also state that just because I take greens doesn't mean I don't eat fruits and vegetable servings.

Yes, these are not a replacement for fruits and veggies. I still eat at least one piece of fruit a day and normally veggies with every meal (with the exception of breakfast).
  • lowkeyelv
    Options
    Hey there.

The problem with juice is high calorie content. Not to say you shouldn't drink juice but there is only so much room in a diet for the calories, particularly when losing weight. So, to cover the gaps a good greens supplement can be good at very few calories. Paired with a good multi it's like insurance against being deficient in some nutrients.

Its quite true that fruit juices can be very high in calories. I try to mostly stick to blends that are largely vegetable juice rather than the more sugar-laden fruit juices to maximize the nutritional value per calorie of the juice i drink. And I only drink fresh juice at home, no tropicana etc.
  • cdevine10
    cdevine10 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Actually I have been reading the box (people at work take them) and it seems they are more of a supplement like a vitamin. I don't think it is actual fruits and veggies made into powder.. There is no way they could get 6 of them into one tiny packet :laugh:

They have no artificial sweetners, no artificial colors, flavor, no added sugar, no preservatives.....and made with organic veggies and fruits..

okay confused again... they ARE made WITH fruits and veggies LOL

http://greenstogo.com/

Ok I looked on the website and this is what it says:
    One serving of Go Greens® has the antioxidant power of 6 fruits and vegetables and a Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) value of 4000. As a comparison, a serving of broccoli has an ORAC value of 700.

SO from what I gather it is not powdered fruits and veggies it just has the same antioxidant power AS 6 fruits and vegetables.
    :)