My doctor made me cry

Options
I went to see my doctor today and I was very siked to get on the scale. I was so happy when it read 175 but my happiness was short lived because I got chewed out ! I lost 22lbs in about 7 weeks and I explained to my doctor that I have been counting calories 1200 day plus I walk on the treadmill everyday and I have been swimming. I increased my activity level by probally 75%. She informed me that this is not good and I should up my calories and only lose at the most 5lbs a month. Plus only exercise 3 times a week. Now I'm used to walking every day and its part of my daily routine I'm not going to stop walking everyday I already decided that,but should I really up my calories?

Replies

• GOmaggieGO
    Options
    I went to see my doctor today and I was very siked to get on the scale. I was so happy when it read 175 but my happiness was short lived because I got chewed out ! I lost 22lbs in about 7 weeks and I explained to my doctor that I have been counting calories 1200 day plus I walk on the treadmill everyday and I have been swimming. I increased my activity level by probally 75%. She informed me that this is not good and I should up my calories and only lose at the most 5lbs a month. Plus only exercise 3 times a week. Now I'm used to walking every day and its part of my daily routine I'm not going to stop walking everyday I already decided that,but should I really up my calories?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

First off congrats on your hard work and determination....but
    To be honest this is a tough one....I sort of agree with your Dr that loosing weight too fast can really set you up to gain it back
    It's not reasonable for MOST OF US to eat only 1200 cals daily and work-out daily...it can lead to deprivation and burn out...
    I think it could also mess with your metabolism (but I'll leave that us to the 'Boss') to chime in

Kim
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I would think that being overweight would be more dangerous than exercising 5x a week and eating less. I don't know...what did he/she tell you to up your calories to?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor give you reasons for all this?

3 times a week? You can do far more then that if you feel ok doing it, unless there is a medical reason not too.

right there, with that statement his credibility with me is shot, unless he gave you some specific, viable reason.

While I agree 22 lbs in 7 weeks borders on dangerous for many. I don't know your specific situation, and it might be perfectly reasonable if you had an exceptionally high Body Fat % for your weight.

Upping your calories is a function of knowing all your numbers, and deciding what a good deficit is for you. I don't know what your BMI or body fat % is so I can't say it's the right thing to do or not. But it might be good to do a little research on where you are, and how big your deficit should be. If it's too big, you'll run into plateau issues later unless you adjust, and you'll probably start burning lots of muscle instead of lots of fat, and that's not a good way to lose weight.
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    Aww that was wrong of your doctor to make you feel bad. You are doing great and she should have appreciated that. :flowerforyou: It's not uncommon to lose more weight in the beginning especially when you have a little extra to lose. When I started I was losing like crazy, but now that I am down to my last couple pounds I feel like I am at a standstill.

Now on a side note I do agree with raising your calories. I am 5'6 148, I work a desk job with no activity and my daily calories are set at 1400. 1200 is the bare minimum that a person should consume.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options

get a second opinion...
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    maggie, unless there is another medical condition preventing you from exercizing daily, I would say that your Dr.'s advise is way off. You could bump up your cals a bit to compensate for the increased activity, but you are not overdoing it by any stretch of the imagination. Try to decrease your weightloss a bit, so that you do not lose muscle along with the fat. Try some weight training to preserve and build lean muscle.
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    First of all. GREAT JOB!

22 pounds in 7 weeks may be a little fast but..................... I would not stop exercising if it makes you feel good. I exercise 5-6 times a week and I do that for mental reasons. Ive been going to a doctor that treats depression and anxiety with exercise. So its good for you physically and mentally. As for the calories you could bump it up 100 or 200 and see if that cuts your losing down to no more than 2 pounds a week. 3 is a little fast.
  • HilB
    HilB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no need to stop walking every day if that's what you've been doing. How can a doctor tell you to NOT work out more than 3 days a week? That's insane! And if you've recently began a diet where you're consuming a lot less calories than before and working out a lot more, you're going to lose more weight in the beginning and it's usually gonna come off pretty fast. I mean, shouldn't your doctor know that? The only thing I can say is that 1200 calories a day is very low, but I dont think it's too low if you dont feel like you're starving to death. Congratulations on your weight loss, keep up the good work! And maybe think about getting a new doctor!
  • burbuja
    burbuja Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm sorry your doctor made you cry :heart: , but I am with all of those who disagree with her opinion. I don't see any problem with walking 5 or 6 x a week, it is true at the begining because of the drastic lifestyle change you made it is normal to lose weight very fast. As long as you don't feel sick or bad then I would keep doing 5 to 6 days of exercise a week and 1200 cals but if you do feel a little weak or tired just add 100 to 150 cals. Good luck sweetie and don't let anyone make you feel down. :flowerforyou: I still don't get it, why would she tell you to exercise 3 x a week if that's the minimum.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    SECOND OPINION! Doesnt sound like a great doc to me. I would change just due to his/her attitude!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    22lbs in 7 weeks is great and also a bit extreme. Stay proud and take it down a notch.

I agree with you in that you should keep walking every day. Try picking one day out of the week to have more of a liesure walk than an exercise walk ... just a light day so you're still getting out but not working so hard; it will give your CNS needs some slow time while keeping your brain in active mode.

Also, see about eating some of your exercise calories ... slowly (about 100 more calories per week), and see how it makes you feel. If you can eat more and still lose weight, even better; I'm guessing that you can! The loss might start to slow down but it will only help you in the long run.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    at your weight, 22 lbs in 7 weeks is excessive. You SHOULD be eating more, especially if you are exercising so frequently. I don't think 3 times a week should be your limit... unless there's a medical issue we don't know about... Eating back your exercise calories will slow your weightloss to a healthy rate AND more adequately fuel your body for exercise.

That said, congrats on your progress! Just slow it down a little, you're doing great but there's no rush! :flowerforyou:
  • GOmaggieGO
    Options
    I would think that being overweight would be more dangerous than exercising 5x a week and eating less. I don't know...what did he/she tell you to up your calories to?

To up my calories to at least 1500 and again exercise 3x a week
  • Maria061
    Maria061 Posts: 118
    Options
    GOmaggieGO,

I want to say, You had done a very good progress until now. I am very proud of You.

I am trying to understand what doctor had said and I believe her that she was right . You had loss 22lb in 7 weeks, that is 3.2 lb / week. It is happened that people that loose lot of weight in short time will get back more easely and they can have gain other medical problems.

Did You fill healthy, no headaches during this 7 weeks?

I will continue excises the way how You do. Change Eating habits, try to raise Your calories / day, or lower Your plan for loosing Your weight , maybe 1.5 - 2 per week.

Good luck, Maria

start 03/21/09
  • GOmaggieGO
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. I realize that I could up my caloric intake a little and I'm well aware of the fact that its going to get harder and harder to lose the weight after you reach a certain point. I'm 175 now and i'm ready for the challenge. I have no medical conditions and i'm 34.
    So with the nagativity from the doctor I will use that to fuel my desire to achieve my goals and I guess i'll give her even more to bit** about next time. She made the comment "you know your probally going to gain some of that back" well no, no i don't think so lady...
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hello Dr I-Have-No-Bedside-Manner...maybe time to look into a new doc. Her behavior makes me question any advice she may have given you. FYI...I have worked with more than one MD who has recommeded exactly what yours told you not to do. Its her opinion. I have to agree with others that 1200 calories would be hard to maintain and probably hard on your body long term, but the exercising only 3 x week? Where the heck did that come from?? I have been exercising 6-7 x week for the past 3 months and prior to having my son, worked out, walked, took classses probably 5 x week. Hello, its called getting fit...:huh: It were me, I'd be looking to see who else is an approved provider in the area...
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    One has to wonder if the good Doctor has some hidden agenda. No truly informed medical professional would try to dissuade you otherwise. This is why our population is becoming increasingly obese. Did the Doctor sleep through the Nutrition and Fitness seminar? Or perhaps it decreases the "cut" of pill money from the drug companies. Sorry, I'm not really serious about this rant...I can't help but shake my head in disbelief.
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    crazy doc, if you feel fine and you said you have no health problems why is walking bad? doesn't make sense every other health professional says walking is best low impact exercise. I walk 7 days a week unless I don't feel well(which is very rare). I eat between 1250 and 1450 cals a day or more if I feel hungry. your body knows what it can handle and if you feel good, then the heck with he doc. JMO.
    congrats on your amazing weight loss!:flowerforyou:
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi there. I'm sorry she did that. She should have been more considerate about your feelings. I'm on a strict diet. It's the optifast partial liquid meal replacement. I was skeptical about it at first, but I have some serious complications from being obese. I have fatty liver, staged and HAD hypertention but since my weightloss, I don't have to take my blood pressure meds anymore. I still have about 40 more pounds to go. I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I work as a nurse in a hospital and I walk about 7 miles in a shift. Because myt job is so physically demanding, I have to increase my caloric intake to 1500 calories only when I'm working. On this 1200 very restrictive caloric intake, I have to carry bulion cubes and sugar packs on me along with my doctors name and his information. This diet is not a fly by night diet as it is medically managed by a team of doctors at Mayo Clinic. Because I'm only taking in 1200 cals, I have to have my labs drawn every 3-6 months. I see a medical doctor every 6 months, or as needed.

So, as my husband said when I read your message, your doctor is protecting herself from a liability. 5 lbs a month is reasonable for a long term goal. If you continue 1200 cals a day and you have any medical problems, you may want to be followed by a doctor. If not, then be careful on the amount of exercise you're doing. Don't skip meals and drink plenty of water. I can't negate what your doctor said, but I can say that she wasn't very sensitive.

I agree with GIBride, if I were you, I may be looking for another doctor. One that can support you through your weightloss goals.

Good luck!

Kathy

41101.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter