Y do I wake up STARVING in the morning after a heavy dinner

Options
I just don't get it! Every time i have a heavy dinner, i wake up starving and every time i don't eat dinner or i eat something SUPER light, i wake up not hungry at all! Anyone else go thru this?!

Replies

• Shawn_Marie
    Options
    same here! makes no sense!
  • jillstoner1977
    jillstoner1977 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't know the cause, but I find the same thing in myself. Especially if it a high-carb meal.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    when I clicked on this I thought it was going to say that you wake up starving the morning after a heavy workout...but a heavy dinner...not exactly sure...good luck!
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs, eat more protein/fat.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    dude, i have never understood this.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's probably just because your metabolism being revved up after eating so much and then it wants more.
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing thus morning. When I eat more at night, I'm more hungry un the morning. But I ate little last night, and wasn't hungry this morning....what's up with that!?!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It's possibly thirst as a larger evening meal can be heavy in sodium as well.
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Happens to me. I would think it has to do with your metabolism adjusting to the fact that you had a heavy meal, and expecting that to happen again the next time you eat. Kind of along the same principle that when you allow youself a cheat day, your weight loss can actually benefit from it. Your body expects to have to burn more calories when you eat next, even if you eat a lighter meal.
  • jillstoner1977
    jillstoner1977 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Regarding the revved up metabolism, that is what I was thinking as well, but wasn't sure.
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Same problem here too!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with your blood sugar. You went to bed with high blood sugar from a big meal, but it dropped through the night, and so you wake up starving because your body is craving that high again. Smaller meals keep the blood sugar more stable, so you have fewer cravings.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That doesn't happen to me. I never wake up hungry no matter what or how late I ate.
  • lkb1025
    Options
    It's called "rebound hunger." It has to do with spiking your insulin levels and a decrease in the hormone Leptin, which is a hunger suppressant.
  • cjpederson
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. The blood sugar/insulin thing makes total sense.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    same problem here too! bump
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I eat empty carbs (regular pasta, white rice, potatoes)...makes me hungry the next day. But if I eat complex carbs, protein, I am good in the morning.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get this too. Wake up sooo hungry that I have to get up and eat, no way I can get back to sleep!
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Last night i had chicken and broccoli, then after that maybe this is what F***ed me up! I had a couple BITES of tiramisu, pumpkin cheesecake and a bite of a brownie sunday...Could that do it?!
  • kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's hormonal

"Ghrelin, the main hunger-control hormone, is released in a pulsatile manner through the night with a peak occurring upon waking, which incites hunger."

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/logic-does-not-apply-part-2-breakfast/