My doctor made me cry

Options
2»

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Ok. So this is hard to answer since we don't really know WHY your dr said what she did. However, I agree with everyone here that at your weight and activity level you absolutely NEED to up your calories. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for problems later.

As for exercise, I don't see any issue with walking daily. However, for really intense workouts, especially weight training, it is recommended that you take a day off your workouts or at the very least vary the muscle groups you are working so they have a chance to recooperate.

All this being said, you should be proud of what you have accomplished. Not just the fantastic weightloss but the commitment to making your life healthier!

P.S. I had a dissapointing experience with my dr too. I was so excited to be at 205 (last physical was 237, and 255 at my heaviest). And instead of congratulating me, he told me I should cut out all carbs and buy a treadmill to lose weight faster. I told him I wasn't trying to lose it fast that I was trying to lose it in a healthy weight that I can sustain! Plus, I like bread and pasta too much to give it up entirely!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    1200 to 1500 is a lot so bump it up slowly, about 100 calories a week. That way you wont have to stuff yourself and you'll give your body time to adjust.

I don't think anyone here will agree to restrict your exercise to 3x per week. You'll end up losing some of your lean muscle that you've been trying to hard to build up wich is hardly healthy. But do go for one light day out of the week (if not an off day). It is important to your CNS and for "muscle recovery". After all, you have to keep your muscles happy if they're gonna keep burning all that fat for you :smile: .
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    P.S. I had a dissapointing experience with my dr too. I was so excited to be at 205 (last physical was 237, and 255 at my heaviest). And instead of congratulating me, he told me I should cut out all carbs and buy a treadmill to lose weight faster. I told him I wasn't trying to lose it fast that I was trying to lose it in a healthy weight that I can sustain! Plus, I like bread and pasta too much to give it up entirely!

You're doc told you to cut out all carbs and buy a treadmill. He isn't very well versed in weighloss. You have to have carbs for your body to function. Your brain is a good example, runs on carbs. Wow. Sorry, that just seems so extreme.

:noway:41101.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Kathy
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    tell your doctor to stick it-- these medical professionals think they're God-- congrats on the weight loss. Listen to your body-- if you're feeling good, go for it.
  • jaxkipi
    Options
    I would think that being overweight would be more dangerous than exercising 5x a week and eating less. I don't know...what did he/she tell you to up your calories to?

To up my calories to at least 1500 and again exercise 3x a week

Actually, being overweight is a chronic problem that can lead to other problems yes. And these obsity related illnesses are also chronic. Starving your body is an acute problem than can cause some serious problems. One of which is an electrolyte imbalance. Also, the word dieting is easy to say, but should really be a long term goal and a lifestyle change, hence it should be called healthy eating....etc. If you restrict your intake too much you are doing more harm than good. Your body will go into starvation mode and you will eventually gain weight, because your body is trying to conserve. After awhile, you will loose muscle. This trend is common with people that are anorexic and/or bulemic.

I was told by my dietician, that eventually by restricting yourself and exercising too much, you will actually slow your metabolism down so your body can conserve. When you stop restricting your diet when you reach your goal, your body is still with a slower metabolism and you will easliy gain weight.

I have a friend that does this constantly. She will eat what she wants and then goes on the "lemonade diet." Then when she is off the diet, she gains weight. She yo-yo's. Not good for your body. So be careful.

Kathy

41101.png
  • jaxkipi
    Options
    One has to wonder if the good Doctor has some hidden agenda. No truly informed medical professional would try to dissuade you otherwise. This is why our population is becoming increasingly obese. Did the Doctor sleep through the Nutrition and Fitness seminar? Or perhaps it decreases the "cut" of pill money from the drug companies. Sorry, I'm not really serious about this rant...I can't help but shake my head in disbelief.

LOL :laugh: That's hilarious....did your doctor sleep through....the seminar...?? LOL...how true. So many doctors have no clue. You are SOOOO right! :flowerforyou:

Kathy

41101.png