Too much sodium!!!

Options
Beezil
Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
I've been trying now for weeks to keep my sodium level between 1500-2000mg a day, and it is extremely difficult! :( Foods I think are healthy often have a ton of it in there, or the food just adds up throughout the day to a big number even if I'm eating healthy stuff. I don't cook much, so I do tend to eat things that are pre-packaged more often. I've switched to using sea salt, and completely cut out sodas from my diet months ago, but I still have trouble with the sodium levels. Any help or suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Fresh foods... that is really my only suggestion. Try to substitute some of those prepackaged meals with fresh fruit and veggies.
  • raqufern
    raqufern Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest with you, the best thing is going to be to cut back on any processed food. Usually if its canned or packed it is going to have some sort of sodium...... I know you said that you do not cook, so that is a little difficult but that is the only thing I can think of right now. Hope it helps and good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I looked at your diary for today. I would also recommend leaving the cheese out of that omelet. I know it's hard. I love cheese! But there is a ton of sodium there. Egg whites... did you separate the eggs or use the carton stuff?

Looking at your other days, you really didn't do too bad. But if you can cut out the cheese, you would save a lot on sodium.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    ALL packaged/processed foods are packed with sodium - it's to preserve the food. Although fruits and veggies have sodium as well, the amounts are substantially smaller. Your better off eating a salad loaded with tons of fruit and vegetables than say a lean cuisine.
  • Beezil
    Options
    Thanks! I do need to buy more fresh fruit and veggies, cause I love em, just don't always have the extra money. But if I'm giving up the other packaged crap I suppose I can afford it! :) I do love cheese. I actually stopped eating it for a while, then decided this week I had to have some in the omelets... lol. I can live without it though. I did separate the eggs myself, it's a lot cheaper than buying the stuff in the carton!
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to keep my sodium below 2000mg per day also. I can't believe how much sodium is in food! If I know one meal of the day will be high in sodium, I try to keep the rest of the day low. I try to add fresh fruits and vegetables and stay away from anything canned. I would love to hear some ideas on how everyone keeps their sodium levels down!
  • Beezil
    Options
    What about "low sodium" foods at the store? Are they really okay to eat?
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    There is a lot of sodium in cheese, but try to find low sodium cheese.

Sorry hun, but pre-packaged and preserved = high sodium (in most cases). Fresh is the way to go!

At Loblaws in Canada there are Blue Menu products which usually have lower sodium. Read the packaging on items that you frequently buy and see if other brands have lower sodium content.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Another tip about sodium... potassium counters the effects of sodium. I track both in my diary. It is hard to get enough potassium and easy to go over in sodium so I try to make them as even as possible. Someone said that the potassium only helps if you get the full 3500 mg a serving, but I was swollen with edema for weeks, and when I started at least making the effort to get the potassium, the swelling went away immediately.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I use them. Actually, canned tomatoes are really high in potassium so I will buy the low-sodium variety.
  • Beezil
    Options
    Ok wow! Thank you guys so much for your help! I never knew that about the potassium, so I will have to buy more bananas! lol. I love bananas very much - is there any other food that is high in potassium though? Bananas do have a lot of carbs/sugar.
  • Beezil
    Options

I use them. Actually, canned tomatoes are really high in potassium so I will buy the low-sodium variety.

Just saw this, thank you! :D
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit and veg. I normally am REALLY good with my sodium levels but the last 4 weeks I haven't been able to go grocery shopping (life getting in the way) so I've been eating a lot more packaged stuff and it's really shown on the scale. No gaining but def no losing because of this water weight. I can feel it also...super bloated.

Going grocery shopping tonight! APPLES, BANANAS, STRAWBERRIES, CARROTS, PEACHES omg...so on it . Good luck with yours

Oh yeah, stay away from the lunch meat. I normally try to get low sodium tuna packed in water. It's awesome like 35mg of sodium for the can or pouch.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Cook more and dont use any added salt. You can add seasoning to food that has less sodium in it than salt has.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear some ideas on how everyone keeps their sodium levels down!
    As stated above, the best way is to go with fresh fruits and veggies. Avoid the canned and frozen stuff.
    Barring that, just pour lots of water into your system to flush it out.
    I know of no way to remove the sodium BEFORE consuming the food.
    And, don't add salt to anything you eat. Substitute other seasonings for table salt.
  • Beezil
    Options
    Is sea salt really much better than table salt? I switched to it cause I thought it was better for you. I do drink tons of water during the day, that's probably the only reason I haven't ballooned up yet!

I will have to try that low sodium tuna, I do like tuna from time to time. :)
  • Adelegervais
    Adelegervais Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    To keep my sodium down is I do a lot of my own cooking and I don't cook with salt at all, if I need to I add a little bit of sea salt! Lunch wise I normally bring left overs from the dinner I made the night before but sometimes I do indulge in the things with a lot of sodium so my suggestion would be to cook at least one meal a day for your self its a lot cheaper and you can control the amount of sodium.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Just to clarify (from a medical perspective), drinking lots of water doesn't 'undo' a high sodium intake. High sodium will just make your body retain that water = edema (that puffy, swollen, sexy look) lol.

Sometimes healthy shortcuts don't exist. Consistantly high levels of sodium in your diet will have long term health effects, but that doesn't mean you have to eat perfectly. Tweak your choices and read labels! Buy items lower in sodium. Google product information if need be. Good luck hun!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    One more suggestion. I do high fiber (30 to 35 g) a day. I find it can be helpful with water retention on days that I am over on sodium. Not waaaay over, but I can get away with being a little over if I got enough fiber that day.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Ok wow! Thank you guys so much for your help! I never knew that about the potassium, so I will have to buy more bananas! lol. I love bananas very much - is there any other food that is high in potassium though? Bananas do have a lot of carbs/sugar.

I could honestly go on about this subject forever. I learned early on to get that sodium in check because of the edema. Mine was starting to pit before I learned how to manage it.

Dried beans are really high in potassium too. I like to use them with the low-sodium canned tomatoes to make a fabulous turkey chili that is loaded with potassium. It's a little over half a day's worth in one serving!! :bigsmile: